Would a 2020 unity ticket consolidate moderates against MagaMan?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

david johnson

Re: Would a 2020 unity ticket consolidate moderates against MagaMan?

Post by david johnson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:54 am

Depending on who was on the ticket, I could go for that. I am a moderate, and will never support a hardright nor a progressive candidate.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 am

I'll support any Democrat who can win in 2020. Let's hope Democrats have learned the lesson of 2016, 2000, and 1968, and support our candidate in big numbers, whoever he/she is, because losing to the likes of Nixon, Bush, or Trump out of pique at the Democratic nominee is just plain dumb, not to mention harmful to the country.
Last edited by John F on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 am

I don't like that idea but I agree with John F-we need someone who can get rid of Trump for 2020! Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 am

I agree with both David and John F. Hopefully the Dems nominate a moderate and it would be fascinating to see whether a fusion ticket could be agreed upon with a Never-Trump Republican or Independent of some stature in the VP spot, somebody who has actually governed an important state or city: Bloomberg, Kasich, Bush, even Romney. I could live with any of those in the second spot as part of a once-in-a-lifetime emergency effort to save the Republic from going bananas.

It is imperative for the Dems to recapture the great Heartland and the Catholic vote which went for Obama in 2008 but had swung to Trump in 2016, while re-energizing the black, Latino and youth vote. If they can do that, they will win what will probably be a close and brutally contested election.

Right now, I think Joe Biden at the top of the ticket gives them the best shot at doing that, but we shall see. Biden/Bloomberg and Biden/Kasich are intriguing but unlikely scenarios. Biden/Klobuchar, Biden/Castro, or Biden/Harris would be more realistic combinations.