Tour around Berlin, 1929

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Tour around Berlin, 1929

Post by Belle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 am

I came across this just now on the internet. Apropos nothing, I thought it was quite interesting: well, kind of sad in a way -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoRYmKRwIE

John F

Re: Tour around Berlin, 1929

Post by John F » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:34 am

I enjoyed that, glad you found it.

1929 was the last year in which the Weimar Republic had a chance of succeeding. The market crash and Great Depression, and the catastrophic inflation that ruined the economy, were beyond the government's ability to remedy and prepared the way for the revival of the extreme right, led by the military, and ultimately to the Nazi Party's political success. The people in the film did have plenty to smile about; four years later, not so much.

You'll see the word "Electrola" in several shots. This was the German brand name of the EMI to be, then called the Gramophone Company. With the outbreak of World War I, the German Gramophone Company (Deutsche Grammophon) severed its connection with the Gramophone Company, which then had to find a new name to market its products in Germany. As electric recording (with microphones instead of acoustic horns) had just begun to be used, the new brand name was up to date, Electrola.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 am

Belle wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 am
I came across this just now on the internet. Apropos nothing, I thought it was quite interesting: well, kind of sad in a way -
Belle this reminded me of our trip to Berlin in Oct 2015-a lot different then it was then! I guess people back then may have dined along the Spree as we did on a delightful sunny day. Regards, Len :D

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am

Some of the 1929 video would probably have been familiar to Dad. He was a 7 year old in Berlin then!
Donald Isler

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am

With the invention of the moving image we no longer just have to read about and/or imagine history; we can see for ourselves. All those previous generations in a city that looked to all intents and purposes prosperous but which harbored a dark underbelly. That short clip and those smiling faces could have been any one of us of a European heritage - east or west. That final shot in the little clip doesn't seem right; there is no lake for sail boats in Berlin, to my knowledge!!

John, thanks for telling us about Electrola. I always thought it was a Dutch company, for some reason.