The Climate Change Bandwagon - Who's On It?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Re: The Climate Change Bandwagon - Who's On It?

Post by Belle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:31 pm
Both the UK and the USA have experienced not just Civil War but violent Revolution. And arguably have emerged better for them.
Pass. :mrgreen:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 pm

To the extent that they think the GOP will see to their interests other than to max out the nation's credit card, I would not call America's working class deplorables so much as dupes.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:30 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 pm
To the extent that they think the GOP will see to their interests other than to max out the nation's credit card, I would not call America's working class deplorables so much as dupes.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place, then.

I was speaking primarily about our nation as I wouldn't presume to speak about yours. Brendan O'Neill writes the same thing about the UK. Using the word 'deplorables' refers to the way the Left condescends to the working class, sneering at the fact that they are not only uneducated but entirely unenlightened. The word has been appropriated from your last election campaign but it doesn't speak specifically about Americans. In short, these so-called 'elites' (how I hate that word), mainly from the Left, exhibit exactly the same behaviours that the aristocracy and landowners did in Britain for hundreds of years!! I have 3 university degrees and it's only made me more appreciative of the working class who paid for it!!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:52 am

The only time I ever challenged a prof (a Harvard PhD stuck teaching ed psych at the publicly funded Cleveland State Univ) occurred when he called all of us "Catholic working-class asses" and then refused to give me the title of a book he had referred to b/c he said I would not be capable of understanding it. Things got a bit hot and heavy from that point forward 'cuz I told him in front of everybody that he had been spinning his wheels for two weeks and his lectures were going nowhere. Later, in private, I said, "My dad is paying your fuckking salary, so if you ever insult my family or my religion again I will call you out in class every time you do it." He apologized.

As for who's in the working class. Who in hell ain't?

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 am

Good for you!! I'd have done the same, most likely, as I'm Catholic too. Mind you, Catholics could be bigots about non-Catholics - but, as that character said in the film "Irma La Douce"..."that's another story"!!

Working class? Once upon a time this was the British trades and labouring class - same here in Australia. But lots of 'aspirationals' have moved over into the middle class over the last decades but there still remains an unprotected rump of poorly paid, underemployed working class. But we all worked, right?

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 am

Belle wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:44 pm
jserraglio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:03 am
Belle wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:53 am
you can take that to the bank!!
In the end, it all comes down to who's got da CASH, dont it?
The political class has lost touch with the people, particularly the working class - which has endured the most out of their governments' neglect. The Left became rich and they forgot their own people. We're trying to turn that around in Australia and, ironically, it's the conservative forces which now represent the ordinary people!! And good and decent people they are too, with families and mortgages and kids at school. They don't care about non-gendered toilets, safe spaces, trigger warnings, #metoo, glass ceilings, affirmative action - the whole culture wars catastrophe. And I'll give you a heads-up; it's for precisely this reason and because of those groups doing the advocating that they're skeptical about climate change!! It's the messengers which are the problem, not the problem itself. And they know they have nothing to fear but fear itself.

My original post singled out the media. What Belle has written about the cultural political issues that create a climate (pun intended) of skepticism from us is well founded. The role of the media in driving their own agendas is a major part of our skeptical attitude. We want NEWS, not soap opera. Any newspaper/media source that uses superlatives in their headlines is not to be trusted.

This humorous skit (please ignore any possible racial overtones they are not intended), sums up the world media for me.

https://www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/vide ... 3MDM0MTcy/

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Yesterday I watched a 1963 film, Stanley Donen's "Charade". There was very pertinent dialogue which immediately drew my attention:

Audrey Hepburn character: "Why do people lie?
Cary Grant character: "Because they want something and they're afraid the truth won't get it for them".