Pelosi chides Trump as a public 'potty mouth'

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Pelosi chides Trump as a public 'potty mouth'

Post by jserraglio » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm

The Guardian wrote:Donald Trump has “become a potty-mouth and children are listening”, the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, told Democrats . . . .
NEW YORK TIMES

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/opin ... ection_AMP

barney

Re: Pelosi chides Trump as a public 'potty mouth'

Post by barney » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:33 am

This is interesting to me as a non-American because I did not immediately spot the racist undertones. It just isn't the same problem in Australia (not that racism doesn't exist, of course, but it's not part of the fabric), so I took it at face value until (next sentence) the reporter explained. Is he right, in the view of my American fellow posters?

The same with the potty mouth. Australians are not nearly so concerned with a bit of language. That's not to say we wouldn't criticise politicians who spoke as Trump do, but we see an over concern with not swearing as a bit prudish. I am well aware that I smuggled in my own values with the term "over concern". But the sort of people who might be concerned about swearing - Christians - seem to forgive that reprehensible imbecile anything, so I don't see how they can complain.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 am

The Times columnist is right on target for calling out Trump as a race baiter. Cf Solomon Northup's eloquent memoir "Twelve Years a Slave" (1853) for a wealth of historically accurate detail about Whites' fear of being seen as subservient to a gifted African-American man.

Pelosi is no common scold nor prude but instead the consummate pol. Her rebuke of the Donald as a potty-mouth is a calculated Lilliputian meme, imaging the President as the traditional naughty boy of American folklore who needs his mouth washed out with soap (c/w a good spanking from her to boot), and thereby serving to diminish him in the eyes of his supporters.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes, I see that, and that it is indeed clever. But I don't see how she could diminish him more than he diminishes himself. Look at how incredibly fast American influence has collapsed after his betrayal of the Kurds, and that is spreading beyond the Middle East.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Hillary Clinton Nancy Pelosi ain't.

The Speaker knows how to get into Donald Trump's head. A formidable opponent who happens to be the one who cleaned Trump's clock in the 2018 elections and is now third in the line of succession should Trump fall, Pelosi increasingly treats the POTUS like a misbehaving schoolboy she is contemptuously dismissive of.

Case in point. Just tonite the Speaker appears on a national prime-time PC and states that his oath of office only obliges the President to fulfill it "to the best of his abilities" and then rolls her eyes and throws up her hands in mock despair while the assembled reporters chuckle at her suggestion that Trump's Ukraine and Syria debacles may not be in fact a violation of that oath b/c they showcase the best of his demonstrably limited abilities.

Being laughed at is anathema to Trump — it's unforgivable — the charge he hurls time and again into the teeth of opponents. Now he himself has become a figure of fun for the Speaker who apparently is determined to confront Trump head on. She takes pains to appear presidential while he comes across in public like a rotund brat in kneepants.The contrast btw her coolness and his tantrums is so stark it cannot fail to register with the Independent voters, in particular suburban women, that her message is aimed at.

Having eaten Trump's lunch in 2018, Pelosi is out to starve him next year by stripping away those who supported him only with misgivings. Her strategy seems to be to inflict on Trump political death by a thousand cuts. If that can topple him, and it won't be easy, she'll go down as the greatest Speaker in modern history.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am

jserraglio wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm
Being laughed at is anathema to Trump — it's unforgivable — the charge he hurls time and again into the teeth of opponents.
This brings back this! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Trump exploded at Pelosi today in a WH meeting about Syria, calling the Speaker a "third-grade politician" to her face.

Caption: Schoolboy in kneepants throws tantrum.
The New York Times wrote:According to the Democratic account [of the meeting], Ms. Pelosi at one point noted that President Vladimir V. Putin’s Russia has always wanted a “foothold in the Middle East” and now has one.

“All roads with you lead to Putin,” she told Mr. Trump.

Mr. Trump suggested that the Democrats liked the Kurds in part because they included some communists. He lashed out at Ms. Pelosi. “In my opinion, you are a third-grade politician,” he told her, according to the speaker. (Mr. Schumer and the White House both recalled the insult as “third-rate politician.”)

When Ms. Pelosi and Representative Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, the House majority leader, stood to leave, Mr. Trump called out, “Goodbye, we’ll see you at the polls.”

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:47 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 pm
Trump exploded at Pelosi today in a WH meeting about Syria, calling the Speaker a "third-grade politician" to her face.

Caption: Schoolboy in kneepants throws tantrum.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:42 am

Caption: 'Third-grade' teacher sends unruly student to Principal's office.

What the dickens is the WH thinking? They publish a photo that shows the Speaker standing and pointing powerfully at a seated, subservient President?

Have they no idea how this image reinforces Pelosi's appeal to Independent women voters crucial to Trump's reelection?

Has the WH press operation gone completely off the rails?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:42 am
Has the WH press operation gone completely off the rails?
One things for sure-trump has gone completely off the rails-he calls all the shots-then everyone else tries to clean up the mess. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:42 pm

CBS NEWS wrote:The image soon became Pelosi's cover photo on Twitter. Pelosi's Chief of Staff Drew Hamill clearly wanted others to notice the tongue-in-cheek gesture, so he tweeted an image of the speaker's cover photo, thanking Mr. Trump for the new image.

Hamill also retweeted presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar's reaction to the image. "Can a woman beat Donald Trump? Yes. @SpeakerPelosi does it every day," the senator from Minnesota wrote.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrote:All roads with you lead to Putin.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:36 pm

VOGUE

4 Art Experts Analyze That Historic Nancy Pelosi vs. Donald Trump

Some see Renaissance influences; others, hints of Norman Rockwell. Have you noticed the Benjamin Franklin bust in the background and the clock on the mantle bisecting the frame? The instantly iconic photo of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi literally standing up to Donald Trump in a contentious cabinet-room meeting about Syria on Wednesday is sparking a great many takes, both about the political dynamics—Pelosi stood out, literally, as a woman at a table lined predominantly with men—and the photo’s artistry. It was snapped and released by an uncredited White House photographer.

Tellingly, the president perceived the photo of a powerful woman asserting herself as somehow incriminating: He tweeted it on Wednesday night with the cantankerous caption: “Nervous Nancy’s unhinged meltdown.” But it was quickly reclaimed as more evidence of the first and only female Speaker’s political courage; Pelosi herself made it her Twitter background photo.

Discourse soon raged about the photo’s composition, lighting, and even its likenesses to The Last Supper. To further examine what will surely go down as a historical Trump-era photo, Vogue asked an art history professor, a museum curator, and two former coeditors of the Tabloid Art History Twitter account for their close reads.

Nika Elder, Ph.D., assistant professor of American Art at American University
One of the things that stood out to me is that Nancy Pelosi is standing at the same height as the bust of Benjamin Franklin. It draws an equivalence between the two of them in terms of their impact. And her figure is actually being superimposed on the bust of George Washington—that’s who we would see if she were sitting down. Basically, the photo is replacing this sculpture of the first president with the living, breathing body of the first female Speaker of the House.

Pairing people with sculptural busts actually has a precedent in art history. It’s by no means an exact parallel, but Portrait of Citizen Belley, ex-Representative of the Colonies by a French artist named Girodet came to mind. It’s a portrait of a man named Jean-Baptiste Belley, who was involved in the Haitian Revolution and went on to become the first black deputy in the National Convention in France, and he’s standing next to a classic bust of a [white] philosopher named Raynal. The painting as a whole is speaking to ideas about black liberation. When I looked at the Pelosi photo, it’s using a similar strategy to make a point about female power.

Another important aspect of the photo is the painting hanging on the back wall: It’s by a French artist, Charles Édouard Armand-Dumaresq, and it depicts the Declaration of Independence. Paintings like this one are called history paintings. They were really popular at the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th, and they depicted important political events, military events, and diplomatic events. [American artist] John Trumbull did all of these massive history paintings in the Capitol—Nancy Pelosi herself surely sees them often. The Pelosi photo reads like a modern-day equivalent of one of those paintings, but with one important difference: There is a woman in it, and she’s the most active and most powerful person in the image. This is a photo encapsulating the idea that the future is female.

Chloe Esslemont and Mayanne Soret, coeditors of the former Twitter account, Tabloid Art History
Chloe Esslemont: Part of what strikes me about this image is that the internet loves to shout “Accidental Renaissance” at compelling candid pics. Usually when that’s done, the pictures actually fit more into the Baroque category, with lots of dramatic movement. For once, this Pelosi/Trump image does actually seem to fit more into the Renaissance side of things, with less of the “in the moment” movement that characterized Baroque images; most of the figures here have more of the “stillness” quality that differentiates the two.

The background behind Pelosi is a white background that is radiating light—it makes her stand out, and the figure of her head/torso appears clearer than it would if it had been shot face on, which would have seen the people sitting behind her be the background. I think if it was head-on, that would definitely evoke even more of a Renaissance feel—think about the POV of The Last Supper, for example.

Mayanne Soret: The composition itself does have this stillness, which is very common in 18th-century historical paintings. It tends to focus on a moment before or after the historical event and uses the depiction of history not only to represent but also to generate a narrative. It often feels like you are in the middle of the action and have suddenly pressed pause, in a moment chosen by the artist to heighten the painting’s metaphorical value. It is not surprising to me that political/current affairs photographs would play on the same compositional devices, as we still very much construct visual meaning the same way.

Angela Mack, executive director and chief curator at The Gibbes Museum of Art in Charleston, S.C.
When I clicked on the photo, my mind was going back to all of the images in art history that relate to tables, from The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci to Norman Rockwell’s Thanksgiving Picture (Freedom from Want), which has the wife carrying the turkey to the table. Most table scenes in art history are viewed as opportunities for people to get together and understand one another, but the Pelosi/Trump photo really represents a very different concept—an adversarial spirit as opposed to a coming-together spirit. It’s not your ordinary table scene.

Another really significant table scene is The Beheading of St. John the Baptist by Caravaggio. The king’s daughter had danced at this party, and so as a thank you gift, she was asked what she wanted, and she said the head of John the Baptist. So he’s beheaded and brought before the table setting. Table scenes, I guess, can bring people together or tear them apart.