Virus

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Virus

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:47 pm

The Gov. needs to prohibit mask sales to the public until US healthcare worker needs are met.If America closes , cant help rest of World.
Masked hysteria : https://tinyurl.com/sc3r7f2

Rach3

Re: Virus

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:53 pm

barney

Post by barney » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:40 pm

We have the same problem in Australia, apparently - a shortage for health professionals. People have been buying boxes. No doubt many Chinese are sending them home - we have 1.5 million Chinese citizens out of a total population of around 26 million, though not all have links with China. And who can blame them? But there does seem to be a huge panic over this, much more than is warranted.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:46 am

. . . USA

Trump is the proverbial deer caught in the headlights of denial.

Pence and his team (with the notable and courageous exception of Dr. Anthony S. Fauci) are wittingly or unwittingly deceiving the public.

The US is behind the curve, way behind the curve on this one.

Given that I have contact with hundreds of people a day and am in a high-risk category to boot, I will ask to take a leave of absence from work, a proactive measure to protect my wife in retirement — she is at even higher risk than I.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:46 am
. . . USA

Pence and his team (with the notable and courageous exception of Dr. Anthony S. Fauci) are wittingly or unwittingly deceiving the public.
Pence is making the rounds today-even CNN! Keeps praising trump but he's failing the TEST. Regards, Len :(

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 am
Pence is making the rounds today-even CNN! Keeps praising trump but he's failing the TEST. Regards, Len :(
What test would that be?

I can sense your excitement over the political possibilities of this virus from here.

Were you happy when he restricted travel from China or did you join some of your fellow haters in using the opportunity to shout, "Racist?'

Are you like Don Lemon? Livid that anyone would try to stop the pile-on-Trump opportunity while we're in such a brutal situation: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... _fine.html

Honestly, it's sickening. But go ahead and show your colors.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Barry wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 pm
lennygoran wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 am
What test would that be?

I can sense your excitement over the political possibilities of this virus from here.

Were you happy when he restricted travel from China or did you join some of your fellow haters in using the opportunity to shout, "Racist?'

Are you like Don Lemon? Livid that anyone would try to stop the pile-on-Trump opportunity while we're in such a brutal situation: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... _fine.html

It's sickening to watch the people who can't put aside their Trump-hatred even at a time like this.

I'm sure there are things that could have been done better. Isn't that always the case in a situation that is so unprecedented? That doesn't excuse a lot of the behavior I've seen from the media and other quarters in recent weeks.
Last edited by Barry on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Barry we enjoyed Philadelphia very much last week-the Philadelphia Flower show was terrific-am glad trump didn't shake hands today with the Irish president-he's learning. As for the political stuff I can see you and I are worlds apart-no sense even discussing the matter with you. Len :(

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:24 pm

I've still never gone to the flower show.

I'm very sorry to have to miss the Philadelphia Orchestra's planned Beethoven cycle though.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

The governor of my beloved state, Ohio, and the POTUS are both Republicans, the difference between them on this COVID-19 matter being simply a matter of basic competence—the one has it, the other, I reckon, not so much.
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Well, I didn't shout racist. China is one area where I think Trump has been clear-eyed, at how China has been pillaging the West. But that's got nothing to do with coronavirus. If it originated in Bulgaria - mainly white - he would ban travel from Bulgaria.
Our Australian government did the same thing, to howls from the universities who rely on the massive number of students who come from China. And now Trump has banned travel from Europe, is that racist too? It's a stupid assertion.
Mind you, Trump may well be racist - his support for white supremacists suggests that - but racism played no part in the China travel decision.
Barry, like Len, I think your politics and mine are far apart, but that doesn't make me a knee-jerk hater.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm

The China travel ban ballyhooed by Hannity and his ilk last nite had many loopholes and exemptions — South Korea had not been targeted at all — and the new European travel ban that exempts the U.K. is being roundly attacked today as chimerical across the political spectrum.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm
The governor of my beloved state, Ohio, and the POTUS are both Republicans, the difference between them on this COVID-19 matter being simply a matter of basic competence—the one has it, the other, I reckon, not so much.
And one is honest, not mentally ill, not a narcissist, not corrupt.

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm
jserraglio wrote:
He also is capable of objectivity with regard to Trump, which is fairly rare among those who don't like the President; this board not excepted.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 pm

v
Barry wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:24 pm
I've still never gone to the flower show.
Barry we go every year-this one was real imaginative-the Riviera--we've recently been staying at the Hampton Inn on Arch St-so convenient for the Reading Market Terminal where we buy the baby back ribs at Glicks=this time 4 and 1/2 pounds brought home--and also for our go-to vietnamese--the Vietnemaese Palace-the owner always makes the crepe crisp! Len :D

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm

I'm afraid those ribs are another thing we disagree on.

I'm not saying they can't be enjoyed for what they are. But it's not real barbecue in terms of the lack of smoke. I've become much more serious about barbecue in the years since I left this board. I've eaten at a few of the top barbecue places in the country (in Texas, Tennessee and Kansas City). The barbecue scene in Philly has improved in recent years though. The best place is called Mike's Barbecue and is in South Philadelphia.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Barry wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm
jserraglio wrote:
He also is capable of objectivity with regard to Trump, which is fairly rare among those who don't like the President; this board not excepted.
I haven't heard the embarrassing syllable Trump pass between Gov. Mike DeWine's clenched teeth very often in recent days. He seems far too busy doing his job — filling the power vacuum left by a feckless federal gov't that has failed up to now to protect public health.

I didn't vote for DeWine but I respect him, as I do Sen. Rob Portman, as I did former Gov. John Kasich: Kasich's candor about fellow-Republican Trump's utter incompetence belies the facile pleas for "objectivity" sounded in some quarters, this board not excepted.

The old Northwest Territory plus Pennsylvania may very well tip the balance again in the next election. Until this week, I had considered Ohio a lost cause for the Dems. Now I'm not so sure a centrist like Joe Biden might not win it back. I'll be voting for that guy next week.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 am

Barry wrote:
OK, Barry, I'll give Trump credit for the restrictions on travel from China.

But the Europe travel ban? Shall I count the ways this is an example of gross incompetence? In no particular order: First, he flubbed the announcement in a prepared speech on national TV, leaving out the fact that U.S. citizens and legal residents would be exempt. He also said that the ban would apply to cargo, when it did not. Second, public health experts have rightly criticized this travel ban as a misdirected move. Third, the exemption for citizens and legal residents makes no sense. Does the virus care whether you are a citizen? Fourth, the exemption for the U.K. makes no sense. Travelers from Europe can bypass the ban by travelling via the U.K.

You don't have to be a "hater" to see how bad this is.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:15 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 am
Barry wrote:
OK, Barry, I'll give Trump credit for the restrictions on travel from China.

But the Europe travel ban? Shall I count the ways this is an example of gross incompetence? In no particular order: First, he flubbed the announcement in a prepared speech on national TV, leaving out the fact that U.S. citizens and legal residents would be exempt. He also said that the ban would apply to cargo, when it did not. Second, public health experts have rightly criticized this travel ban as a misdirected move. Third, the exemption for citizens and legal residents makes no sense. Does the virus care whether you are a citizen? Fourth, the exemption for the U.K. makes no sense. Travelers from Europe can bypass the ban by travelling via the U.K.

You don't have to be a "hater" to see how bad this is.
WAPO reporters revealed last nite that WH sources told them the reason Trump omitted the exemption and added in the cargo was b/c he tried to ad-lib part of the speech. "Gross incompetence"? You betcha.
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:28 am

Barry wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm
>But it's not real barbecue in terms of the lack of smoke. I've become much more serious about barbecue in the years since I left this board. I've eaten at a few of the top barbecue places in the country (in Texas, Tennessee and Kansas City). The barbecue scene in Philly has improved in recent years though. The best place is called Mike's Barbecue and is in South Philadelphia.
We have a place in Hackettstown named Piggy's-they smoke the ribs-it's okay but it can't beat what Glicks in the reading terminal market does imho. Are you still living close to the Vietnamese Palace-the owner told us he's gonna make his place Asian Fusion and won't be serving the crepe anymore-can you recommend another place in the convention center area. I'll try to remember Mike's but we don't get to South Philly too much.

BTW did you ever hear this story Christie tells-it's a riot! Len

Christie says Trump made him order the meatloaf at meal together.

Associated PressFebruary 16, 2017, 7:44 p.m.

TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says President Donald Trump made him order meatloaf when they dined together at the White House this week.

Christie and his wife, Mary Pat, joined Trump at the White House on Tuesday.

The Republican governor said while guest hosting a New York sports talk radio show Thursday that Trump pointed out the menu and told people to get whatever they want. Then he said he and Christie were going to have the meatloaf.

‘‘This is what it’s like to be with Trump,’’ Christie said. ‘‘He says, ‘There’s the menu, you guys order whatever you want.’ And then he says, ‘Chris, you and I are going to have the meatloaf.’’’

Trump said ‘‘I’m telling you, the meatloaf is fabulous,’’ according to Christie.
Related
So, how good is the White House meatloaf?
Chris Christie calls Phillies fans ‘angry, bitter’

Trump and Christie discussed the nation’s opioid epidemic during the lunch.

Christie on Wednesday signed a series of bills he requested to address the crisis, including a five-day limit on initial prescriptions for opioids and mandating state-regulated insurance plans cover treatment.

He said he didn’t talk with Trump about any jobs.

How was the meatloaf? If it is anything like this recipe from the National Archives, it looks like it was pretty tasty:

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 am

I've heard the meatloaf story. Extremely funny!

If you want phenomenal meatloaf, try it at a restaurant called Jones at 6th and Chestnut Streets.

I moved to the suburbs. No longer next door to Vietnam Palace. But I still work right next to Chinatown.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Apologies but I'm going to take this away from the political arena.

The effect here in Australia is minimal with three reported deaths (all over 80 years old) and sporadic cases being detected around the country. However, big events like the F1 Grand Prix have been cancelled and sports matches are being played in front of empty stadiums. The State premiers met with the PM and the country's Chief Medical Officer yesterday and while a ban has been put in place on gatherings of more than 500 (where did they get that figure from?) people, Scott Morrison has urged people to go on with their lives as normal and I agree with him.

That said, the Covid 19 'pandemic' has made me think of a number of questions that nobody has asked so far.

The first is one that might horrify many of you. Coronavirus, unless it’s severe, is self reporting. If you‘ve got it and the symptoms are minor (like a mild cold or just feeling a bit down) how many of you would actually go to get it checked out? I would say less than 10% because "why bother the doctor with something that’s probably not Covid19 but just a bit of a cold". (Some of you don't have anywhere to go anyway). If this surmise is correct then there are probably a hell of a lot of people walking around with this virus who don't know it. Had a bit of a scratchy throat lately? Feeling physically a bit down but able to carry on? Is it coronavirus? It might be, who knows?

The second one sums up human nature. Your workmate has been diagnosed with it and you’ve been asked to self-isolate for 14 days. OK, you have a partner and three children. Do they self isolate as well? I suspect not.

What is the actual risk of death from Covid 19 and what are the implications? The graph below shows that the most vulnerable are those in 70+ age group who have an overall 24% chance (1 in 4) of dying if (and IF is the operative word) they contract the virus.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/

There are other graphs involving comorbidity etc from this site. But the way I read those graphs is that it just looks like another flu season and not as serious as ones we’ve had in the past. The big difference this time around is that young children (comorbidity aside) have not been affected.

So are we shutting down the world just because we have come across something new? The death toll from the 'influenza season' in Australia last year was about the average - around 1300 people. Covid 19 has been here for two months now and we stand at 3. Or, is there something about this virus that our governments are not telling us?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 pm

What you appear to be leaving out of the equation:

1) contagion: covid-19 far, far more contagious than the flu.
2) prophylactic treatment: flu's got it; covid-19 ain't, apparently won't for some time.
3) testing: flu si, covid-19 non, as yet in the States due to the federal gov't's . . .
-- malice, directed at a previous administration.
-- malpractice, on their watch.
-- maladministration, of their very own manufacture.

Being in a high risk category myself and regularly coming into contact with hundreds of lovely, young, apparently healthy persons every weekday who will never be at risk if infected but are constantly interacting with much older folks there, in their families, and at work, am I to go about my daily life as usual and risk infecting my wife who is at much, much higher risk than I?

Not a chance. A 1 in 4 chance of my wife dying were I to behave recklessly and infect her? I might as well ask her to play Russian roulette. Ain't gonna happen.

So, I informed my employer this Wednesday that I was taking a leave of absence at age 77 from a job I still love. I did not ask, I told. They looked dumbfounded, they were in obvious denial about their own precarious situation. But by the end of the week, as I predicted to a few of my colleagues, they ware forced by a string of external events to cancel all in-house activities and go remote.

Ask the folks in Northern Italy what happens when a society refuses to accept the hand dealt to it, goes about its daily life as if everything were normal, and invokes a naive apples-to-oranges comparison to the flu as its rationale (more accurately, its rationalization) for doing so.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Barry wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 am
If you want phenomenal meatloaf, try it at a restaurant called Jones at 6th and Chestnut Streets.I moved to the suburbs. No longer next door to Vietnam Palace. But I still work right next to Chinatown.
Barry thanks-I make a pretty darn good meatloaf so I'll pass on the one you talk about. Whjat suburb did you move to if I may ask--was it close to Wayne-one of our favorite gardens is located there-Chanticleer. Len

barney

Post by barney » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 pm
What you appear to be leaving out of the equation:

1) contagion: covid-19 far, far more contagious than the flu.
2) prophylactic treatment: flu's got it; covid-19 ain't, apparently won't for some time.
3) testing: flu si, covid-19 non, as yet in the States due to the federal gov't's . . .
-- malice, directed at a previous administration.
-- malpractice, on their watch.
-- maladministration, of their very own manufacture.

Being in a high risk category myself and regularly coming into contact with hundreds of lovely, young, apparently healthy persons every weekday who will never be at risk if infected but are constantly interacting with much older folks there, in their families, and at work, am I to go about my daily life as usual and risk infecting my wife who is at much, much higher risk than I?

Not a chance. A 1 in 4 chance of my wife dying were I to behave recklessly and infect her? I might as well ask her to play Russian roulette. Ain't gonna happen.

So, I informed my employer this Wednesday that I was taking a leave of absence from the nearly full-time job I still love at age 77. I did not ask, I told. They looked dumbfounded, they were in obvious denial about their own precarious situation. But by the end of the week, as I predicted to a few of my colleagues, they ware forced by a string of external events to cancel all in-house activities and go remote.

Ask the folks in Northern Italy what happens when a society refuses to accept the hand dealt to it, goes about its daily life as if everything were normal, and invokes a naive apples- to-oranges comparison to the flu as its rationale (more accurately, its rationalization) for doing so.
You make good points, but so does Holden Fourth about panic.
I'm astounded at the panic level in Australia - first on the share market, and second in the supermarkets. I haven't been able to buy toilet paper, hand sanitiser, pasta or rice for a week or two. The people who emptied the shelves with panic buying must have enough, so why are the shelves still emptying minutes after they are stocked. What stupid lemmings people are. I don't understand the markets at all. Yes, a correction was obvious, but why panic? Maybe some people are grappling with margin calls, but it seems more likely related to computer algorithms. I haven't sold anything because I am confident the market will rebound, even if it takes a while as it did after the GFC. Its more like a time to buy.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:44 am

The irrational panic you describe does not surprise me, having once been assigned to read Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Year (1722) and Camus's La Peste (1947). What did surprise me was the equally irrational anti-panic: my own and others' deep-seated inertia, our urge to deny the gravity of the situation and assert that everything happening was well within normal parameters of risk when it was not.

It wasn't till hearing Dr. Anthony Fauci passionately implore the Congress to get ahead of the curve, to act to "flatten the curve", and not delude ourselves that we could fend off disaster once it struck an already aging population that I woke up at last and took action. But I had stupidly and blindly frittered away a full two weeks denying reality by recklessly refusing to take a stand, thereby possibly putting my wife's life at risk.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:21 am

barney wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm
hand sanitiser
Barney this has been a problem for us-we should have had some in the house-too late now on that score-otoh plenty of pasta in our house! Here's a question for you-when will trump stop shaking hands with people-like Nancy said we have an imPASTA president! Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 am

I think POTUS and his VEEP should by all means keep shaking hands. Maybe on impulse he'll even issue an Executive Order making federal handshaking mandatory.

Nancy waits in the wings to assume the Presidency in their wake.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Catastrophe! Besides all the major sport cancelled, such as this week's Melbourne Formula One race, or being played behind closed doors, my local table tennis competition has closed for a month. I play four times a week. So far, our arts events are carrying on.
More music time, I suppose.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 am
I think POTUS and his VEEP should by all means keep shaking hands. Maybe on impulse he'll even issue an Executive Order making federal handshaking mandatory.

With that level of cynicism, I pronounce you an honorary Australian! :D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm

barney wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 pm
jserraglio wrote:

Not a cynic, just firmly devoted to the peaceful and orderly succession dictated by our Constitution. But I will concede that given some of my fantasies about certain powers-that-be, I may soon become a candidate for transportation to a penal colony down under. Only in that way would I ever dream of accepting honorary status as an Australian.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm
Barry wrote:
If you want phenomenal meatloaf, try it at a restaurant called Jones at 6th and Chestnut Streets.I moved to the suburbs. No longer next door to Vietnam Palace. But I still work right next to Chinatown.
Barry thanks-I make a pretty darn good meatloaf so I'll pass on the one you talk about. Whjat suburb did you move to if I may ask--was it close to Wayne-one of our favorite gardens is located there-Chanticleer. Len
Not too close to Wayne, although not a real far drive either. I'm near Swarthmore. But I would love for that to change. We moved in this direction because my wife was working in the far western suburbs and we needed to cut down here commute. I've always worked downtown. So we split the difference. But she now also works downtown, so I'm hoping we can move to a northern suburb. I don't know anyone in this area. My friends and family are all from the city on north.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Barry wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 pm
Not too close to Wayne, although not a real far drive either. I'm near Swarthmore.
We love to ride through some of the Philadelphia suburbs and have visited private gardens through the open days garden conservancy program over the years-the Scott Arboretum is very nice too! Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Barry wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 pm
lennygoran wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm
Barry wrote:
Not too close to Wayne, although not a real far drive either. I'm near Swarthmore. But I would love for that to change. We moved in this direction because my wife was working in the far western suburbs and we needed to cut down here commute. I've always worked downtown. So we split the difference. But she now also works downtown, so I'm hoping we can move to a northern suburb. I don't know anyone in this area. My friends and family are all from the city on north.
EDIT: Oh no. We've got enough crooks already. No more convicts! :)
Sorry, this was meant to reply to Rach3. See below.
Last edited by barney on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm
barney wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 pm
jserraglio wrote:

Not a cynic, just firmly devoted to the peaceful and orderly succession dictated by our Constitution. But I will concede that given some of my fantasies about certain powers-that-be, I may soon become a candidate for transportation to a penal colony down under. Only in that way would I ever dream of accepting honorary status as an Australian.
Oh no. We've got enough crooks already. No more convicts! :D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:20 am

barney wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 am
jserraglio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm
. . . I may soon become a candidate for transportation to a penal colony down under. Only in that way would I ever dream of accepting honorary status as an Australian.
Oh no. We've got enough crooks already. No more convicts! :D
Completely understandable, but then could you find it in your heart maybe to offer asylum to an expatriate from a nation currently infested by nationalist fellow-travelers with a yen for resurrecting the Know-Nothing Party.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:26 pm

I'm sure you'd be very welcome, but a word of warning: come by air. Our Government is very tough on boat arrivals - you'll be sent to an offshore detention centre - but sweet as a kitten if you arrive on a plane. Mind you, hard to arrive by boat just now as cruise ships are banned.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Reassuring to know I have a safe haven in a world elsewhere. Truth to be told, I've never ever travelled outside the US except once to the Canada as a boy, happening to witness Niagara's 1954 collapse. I decided then and there to try and keep firm Yank ground under my feet for the rest of my life.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:10 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm
Truth to be told, I've never ever travelled outside the US except once to the Canada as a boy, happening to witness Niagara's 1954 collapse. I decided then and there to try and keep firm Yank ground under my feet for the rest of my life.
My wife and I have done alot of travelling over the years-I'm glad we did it when we still could-we thought we might take a trip or cruise this year but with all this stuff going on in the world today I don't think it's in the cards. Regards, Len :(

barney

Post by barney » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:55 am

That's right Len. My cousin from Wellington was going to visit Oz for two weeks, but when she arrived she would have to go into self-isolation for two weeks, and on her return to NZ into self-isolation for another two weeks. Not terribly appealing. A two week international holiday that ends up 4 weeks in two rooms.