Timeline shows how Trump screwed up coronovirus response

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Timeline shows how Trump screwed up coronovirus response

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 am

Fact check: A timeline of how President Trump responded to the coronavirushttps://www.google.com/amp/s/wgntv.com/ ... virus/amp/

Barry

Re: Timeline shows how Trump screwed up coronovirus response

Post by Barry » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:25 am

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... ssion-has/

The Chinese Communist Party’s culture of corruption and repression has cost lives around the world

Irwin Cotler is the chair of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, emeritus professor of law at McGill University, and former justice minister and attorney-general of Canada.Judith Abitan is the executive director of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights.

There is authoritative and compelling evidence that if President Xi Jinping’s Chinese Communist Party (CCP) had intervened and reported on its coronavirus outbreak three weeks earlier, transmission of COVID-19 could have been reduced significantly around the world. One study, from the University of Southampton, even suggested transmission could have been reduced by 95 per cent.

For 40 days, Mr. Xi’s CCP concealed, destroyed, falsified and fabricated information about the rampant spread of COVID-19 through its massive state-sanctioned surveillance and suppression of data; misrepresentation of information; silencing and criminalizing of dissent; and the disappearance of whistleblowers – all of which reflect the breadth of criminality and corruption in the party. ...
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:43 am

The WHO may have failed.
China has failed.
Trump has failed.
We get to vote on one of them this November.

More news re: the " reopen America " scam:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/c ... index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/s ... index.html

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 am

Barry wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:25 am
For 40 days, Mr. Xi’s CCP concealed, destroyed, falsified and fabricated information about the rampant spread of COVID-19
Ar the risk of re-stating what would be obvious to all but New Right fellow travelers, when you plug in "Trump" for "Xi" and "GOP" for "CCP", that statement still rings true.

And here's yet another investigative report on how the Trump Administration's failure to get off its dead ass resulted in the loss of American lives.

Two months in the dark: The increasingly damning timeline of Trump’s coronavirus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... utType=amp

When Dr. Anthony Fauci conceded on Sunday that the delay had cost lives, Trump subsequently tried to muzzle him. That sure sounds like concealment and falsification to me.
Last edited by jserraglio on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 am

When Dr. Anthony Fauci conceded as much on Sunday, Trump tried to muzzle him.
Firing by tweet! Regards, Len :x

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:44 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am
jserraglio wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 am

When Dr. Anthony Fauci conceded as much on Sunday, Trump tried to muzzle him.
Firing by tweet! Regards, Len :x
Has this bellend ever fired anybody personally?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:45 am

What a sick SOB. Even sicker, those in power who enable such behavior.Sieg Heil !

https://tinyurl.com/s4jo3qm Trump’s name on checks

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:53 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:45 am
What a sick SOB. Even sicker, those in power who enable such behavior.Sieg Heil !

https://tinyurl.com/s4jo3qm Trump’s name on checks
When your approval rating takes a nose dive
When your covid crisis management results in a belly flop
When you are about to face a well-liked opponent with 44 years of honorable public service
When you yourself are a rank amateur who stands disgraced by impeachment

What are you left with but shameless self promotion?

Barry

Post by Barry » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm

You aren't following his approval ratings very closely if you think they are taking a nose-dive. They have come down from where they were a couple weeks ago, but they are still above where he's been much of his presidency and higher than Obama's at the same juncture in his presidency for most of the polling services (and Biden makes Bob Dole, circa 1996, look like a pillar of youthful vigor by way of comparison).

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 42952.html

How China Delayed Warnings to Public During 6 Key Days in January

By Associated Press
April 15, 2020
How China Delayed Warnings to Public During 6 Key Days in January
Xie Huanchi/Xinhua via AP

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.

Six days.

That delay from Jan. 14 to Jan. 20 was neither the first mistake made by Chinese officials at all levels in confronting the outbreak, nor the longest lag, as governments around the world have dragged their feet for weeks and even months in addressing the virus.

But the delay by the first country to face the new coronavirus came at a critical time — the beginning of the outbreak. China’s attempt to walk a line between alerting the public and avoiding panic set the stage for a pandemic that has infected almost 2 million people and taken more than 126,000 lives. ...
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Barry wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm
You aren't following his approval ratings very closely if you think they are taking a nose-dive.
Instead of citing vague, meaningless and misleading snapshots in time, you might try to characterize the state of Mr. Trump's public support when it is mapped over the long term, Feb 2017 thru Feb 2020. https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/ Pay particular attention to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota where the upcoming election is likely to be decided in the Electoral College.

I suspect you will not be pleased by the trend this data shows.

On the other hand, I am pleased to inform you that every time partisans of your stripe raise the issue of Joe Biden's age and lack of vigor, they will only (1) reinforce how much more likable and relatable he is than Mr. Trump and (2) remind people exactly who it was that played games with their own health in February of this year.

BTW, war hero Bob Dole, like John McCain, deserves your respect not your scorn, which is why I am calling out your snide swipe at him. In every way, both as a conservative and a human being, Mr. Dole stands head and shoulders above Mr. Trump whose sporadic but forgivable "errors of judgment" appear to be about the only aspect of his conduct in office you find worthy of criticism.
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Barry, every time we question you about Trump you reply with a demonstration of China's inadequacy. Perhaps you've been learning tactics from your supreme leader.
It's not an answer. All of us taking part in this conversation agree with you that China has an appalling government, corrupt, bullying, persecuting, lying etc. (All the things, actually, I think Trump would be if the American system didn't have far better checks and balances.) But what we want to argue about is the US.
I challenged your comment that you were "not completely happy" with Trump's handling at the start, and alleged that thousands of American deaths can be laid at his door because he preferred to see the virus as a Democrat hoax to reduce his re-election chances. China's lying meant a delayed response; Trump's monstrous ego delayed it further. In view of that, "not completely happy" seemed a woefully inadequate response. Do you now agree? Are you completely happy now?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Here is Trump's plan for dealing with recurrent covid outbreaks after the country opens up on May 1, as Trump himself explained it to the press this evening:
If we see a hot spot developing, we've learned a lot. We'll be able to suppress it, whack it.
Whack! Exactly how does even the John Gotti of US presidents WHACK a virus? No wonder Trump totally screwed up the response to this epidemic.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:41 pm
Whack! Exactly how does even the John Gotti of US presidents WHACK a virus? No wonder Trump totally screwed up the response to this epidemic.
Maybe a Louisville Slugger? Regards, Len :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am

Forget the Louisville Slugger-a whack with Trump's driver. Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:46 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am
Forget the Louisville Slugger-a whack with Trump's driver. Regards, Len :(
Wiseguy Tonio Fauci will WHACK da virus fer The Don.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:46 am
Wiseguy Tonio Fauci will WHACK da virus fer The Don.
[/quote]

Where's Phil Rizzuto when I need him! BTW I once shook hands with Phil at a restaurant in Union NJ-he was best friends with my favorite baseball player when I followed sports-Yogi! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Fox News and its gulls have tried in the past weeks to shift blame to China or the WHO, but it is now clear that it was also Trump's inaction that allowed this virus to take root in, devastate and destroy an untold number of American lives.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:14 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm
Fox News and its gulls have tried in the past weeks to shift blame to China or the WHO, but it is now clear that it was also Trump's inaction that allowed this virus to take root in, devastate and destroy an untold number of American lives.
There are plenty of villains to go around here. China is certainly culpable, and deeply so; Trump is right. And the WHO increasingly seems a tool of China, as Trump alleges. I think he's got a good case. However, there's no question that Trump enormously exacerbated the problem in the US. As I said earlier, I think he's got thousands of deaths on his hands.

I don't say that because he made mistakes. Many leaders and people in authority did that. I say that because his reason was the usual vacuous, shallow, culpable, cruel monstrous egotism. the only thing that mattered was his re-election. If Americans have to die to serve that, well that's their privilege.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:12 am

I was objecting to the whataboutism of adherents of the New Right pointing their index fingers crosswise at the WHO and China in order to divert attention from the way Mr. Trump's denials and delays have cost lives.

I agree with you about China, but Mister Trump's self-absorption and utter incompetence have effectively advanced Xi's objective of restoring China greatness at the expense of the West.

It's sad to see how a Tucker Carlson can call the tune for Trump to sing, and how those gulled by Fox News toe its political line.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:48 am

Well, we are united in the ardent hope that in seven months Americans will remember all this, and vote accordingly.

I just don't understand how so many still support him, despite everything. Especially those who claim that moral standards are important, and sought to impeach Clinton for his lack of them. My goodness, how trite a sexual peccadilo looks beside this grotesque parody of a human being. Clinton didn't kill thousands of Americans.