Australia ticked off by U.S. pushing unproven Wuhan lab COVID-19 theory

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Australia ticked off by U.S. pushing unproven Wuhan lab COVID-19 theory

Post by jserraglio » Fri May 08, 2020 8:42 am

REUTERS. Australia annoyed as U.S. pushes Wuhan lab COVID-19 theory https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN22K118

barney

Re: Australia ticked off by U.S. pushing unproven Wuhan lab COVID-19 theory

Post by barney » Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 pm

The article is correct. I'm also reading a lot of push-back in Australia from pro-China apologists, of whom there are many. Things like Pompeo's 15-second reversal from completely endorsing the lab-origin theory to completely rejecting it are hugely embarrassing. We don't want to be linked with that. And, as I've observed before, hardly anyone expects Trump to honour any treaty obligations unless it suits him personally. This is not a comment about the US generally - at all sorts of levels, the US-Australia relationship remains strong.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 am

What we want is China to come clean about their reluctance to share their Covid19 problems with the rest of the world. I heard today that they are going to start the process through the WHO. Given that organisation's current track record we should keep pushing by ourselves.

Dodgy conspiracy theories benefit nobody. Let's use a good Aussie phrase and "keep the bastards honest!"

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 09, 2020 5:01 am

I agree with you both. This is typical illogic and maladministration by President Trump and his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Their grandstanding has managed to piss off both an ally and an adversary in one respect (China's failure to come clean about their coverup of info about the virus outbreak) because the Trump administration is so intent on diverting attention from its own incompetence in another respect (Trump's attempts, once the virus struck the U.S., to slay the dragon with a flyswatter).

No wonder nobody wants to work with the U.S. when it repeatedly tilts unilaterally and quixotically against windmills.

But Trump's China snafu is just a symptom of a much more dangerous tendency in its foreign policy. I fear that if Trump is reelected, NATO will be the next treaty to be force fed Trump's 'America First' poison pill. By 2024, NATO may cease to exist as a viable counterweight to Russia in Europe.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat May 09, 2020 7:07 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:01 am
By 2024, NATO may cease to exist as a viable counterweight to Russia in Europe.
Maybe that was the deal-Russia gets Europe and Trump gets the emails! Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:07 am
Maybe that was the deal-Russia gets Europe and Trump gets the emails! Regards, Len
Allies despair as Trump abandons America's leadership role at a time of global crisis https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

In my view the U.S. belligerent pushback on China is all a bereft-of-diplomacy fang-baring threat display.

America has in effect ceded its world leadership role, thereby allowing Russia and China to fill the vacuum. The article above argues the United States of Trump has become the world's laughingstock. The U.S. is also bearing the brunt of coronavirus while other nations recover.
Former world leaders warn that the Trump administration risks alienating allies by politicizing the deadly pandemic with its push to punish China and have other nations choose sides.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 09, 2020 8:22 am

This is far too important to be turned into partisan politics, and I do not believe the Australian PM meant it that way. We really want to know what happened, and how to avoid a similar breakout in future.
And of course China wants to avoid that, because it is a loathsome regime with a lot of corruption and mishandling to hide. That makes it all the more important to make it a general investigation, including what other countries did right and wrong. Which of course the facile and incompetent Trump is desperate to avoid. The next one - or the one after - could wipe us out.