TV ads (again) way too much!

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

TV ads (again) way too much!

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm

Many of us are watching TV more to keep up on the coronavirus and the weather. I brought this subject up a long time ago and it seems many people do not mind how many commercials interrupt programs we watch. I understand the need to have advertising to pay employees and operations of the station. However, the repetition of the same commercials is an insult to our intelligence. One day on CNN, I counted THIRTEEEN (13) commercials between segments. In the good old days of newspaper advertising, you would see an ad, pay attention to it or skip over it completely. With television, we do not have that ability. Years ago, i recall that someone made a device to be placed on your TV that would automatically cut out the commercials and immediately allow the program to continue where it left off. I believe the FCC put a damper on that. I've always wondered how many people actually sit through these commercials with products being forced down our throats. I usually use this time to grab a snack, make a pit stop or check cell phone for messages or emails. Often I just turn the sound off on the TV. Is it just me who is annoyed by these repetitive commercials? I appreciate, more-and-more, channels such as TCM and NPR/PBS. Did you ever notice, too, that the volume levels of commercials seem to be much higher than the normal volume you set on your TV. Anyway, I got that off my chest and my B/P is back to normal.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: TV ads (again) way too much!

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Lance I watch a lot of CNN-I DVR the shows I want to watch-then when I play them I can fast forward through the commercials-I can't stand watching CNN live-the commercials are unbelievable over and over again and are intolerable. Regards, Len

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 am

I most always mute the ads, but will watch ones I find amusing.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 am

david johnson wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 am
I most always mute the ads, but will watch ones I find amusing.
There are some amusing ads--GEICO ads come to mind--but after the 52nd repetition, they are just annoying.

I don't have DVR, so my technique is to switch to a movie channel for the 4 minutes or so that the ads are playing.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 am

If watching live, I mute the ads. If the program is recorded, I fast-forward.
You are right about the volume, Lance - the ads are more compressed, and this is a planned side effect.
Even non-commercial channels like the state-funded broadcaster are deluged with ads - constant promotions for their own shows that run as long as commercial ad breaks. Very, very, very, very, very, very annoying.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:52 am

barney wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 am
Very, very, very, very, very, very annoying.
Barney I watch and tape alot of CNN-I can't believe how frequently the Mesobook commercial airs-it's a must fast forward moment!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AchQ/maune-raic ... e-mesobook

Turns out it's a claim center-they must be doing alot of business. Regards, Len

https://mesotheliomaclaimscenter.info/L ... 8sEALw_wcB

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Hello, Lance,
I usually record anything I'm likely to want to see - not a lot because I spend much of this lockdown at composing. But when ads come on I flick past them on the remote.
I never respond to ads anyway. Who'd believe them, these firms coming on fanfaring their wares in glowing (and usually dishonest) terms. Often these chirrupy voices but whatever, addressing people in the imperative mood. I won't be told by voices on a screen or billboard what to do!! Ask me nicely and I might think about it! Truth is otherwise I'm a simple person leading a simple life...have no time for gadgetry, no faceache account, no twitter, no google, no smartphone. Satnav, yes because like a cellphone, that has its uses.
But another thing I've grown to balk at: having music rammed down our ears practically every moment of the day. I just wish music could be on a separate sub-channel so I could turn it off!

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 am

absinthe wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

But another thing I've grown to balk at: having music rammed down our ears practically every moment of the day. I just wish music could be on a separate sub-channel so I could turn it off!
How I agree with you. It makes music non-music, just part of the background, ever present and unappreciated. I loathe it in supermarkets, lifts, telephone hold music etc. It is often intentionally made totally bland. Hideous!

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:04 am

Just thought I'd add a mini-rant on the ads that bother me the most: the pharmaceutical commercials. It's not that the content is unpleasant. On the contrary, these ads are rather idyllic--after taking the advertised drugs, people suffering from some very serious physical and mental diseases are suddenly able to enjoy all the good things in life and interact with a smile on their face with family, friends and co-workers. Knowing some people who have actually dealt with these diseases, I cringe at the level of deception.

Secondly, I cringe at the millions of dollars being spent on these ads--money coming out of the pockets of consumers in the United States (way more than the prices paid in other countries).

Thirdly, these ads are totally unrealistic when they say, "Ask your doctor if _____ is right for you." I can't imagine saying to any of my doctors, "I just saw an ad for _____ and the people in that commercial looked really happy. Can you give me that drug?"