Explore Records???

Modernistfan

Explore Records???

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Does anyone know anything about this label, which I found in hmv.co.jp? These releases are to come out sometime in June, and they include recordings of Panufnik and Xenakis, as well as the Dorati recording of Gerhard's "The Plague" and the London Sinfonietta recording of Henze's "Voices." The Dorati recording was on Decca, and the others may have been as well, which makes this look like these recordings have been licensed from Decca. The HMV website indicates that these are imported from the United Kingdom, so that this is not a Japan-only release. A further web search proved unavailing.

I would like most of these (I don't need the Henze because of the superb complete recording of "Voices" on Berlin Classics).

If this is the beginning of a systematic exploration of the recordings issued in the 1960's and 1970's on LP on Decca Headline, most of which have never been transferred to CD and are long out of print, then all that I can say is that Chanukah (or Christmas if you like) has come awfully early. Yippee!! (Of course, my wife might have a different exclamation when she sees the credit card statements.)

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:46 pm

Well, it looks like United States distribution will be through Koch. In addition to the modernist madness, there will also be some early music. I wonder if these are from L'Oiseau-Lyre recordings that were never reissued on CD. Just when you think this business is finally dying and there will be nothing more to buy, something like this pops up.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue May 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Yes, the Koch website for future releases is now showing all of the Explore Records releases of which I am aware, including the Henze, the Panufnik, the Gerhard, and Takemitsu piano music. Best of all, they are at less than full price, being listed at $13.98. This looks really promising.