Births and Deaths
- Born 1948: Jeannine Altmeyer, soprano
- Born 1901: Lotte Backes, composer, died-??
- Died 1975: Conchita Badia, soprano/teacher, born 11-14-1897 [teacher of soprano Montserrat Caballé]
- Born 1924: Theodore Bikel, actor/singer
- Died 1990: William Levi Dawson, composer, born 09-26-1898
- Died 1967: Ilona Eibenschütz, pianist/teacher, born 05-08-1872 [pupil of Clara Wieck Schumann]
- Born 1903: Oivin Fjelstad, conductor, died 10-16-1983
- Born 1953: Valery Gergiev, conductor
- Born 1946: Lesley Gore, pop singer ["You Don't Own Me"]
- Born 1925: Anton Guadagno, conductor, died 08-16-2002
- Born 1924: Aafje Heynis, contralto
- Died 1878: Gretchen Hood, soprano, born 09-15-1886
- Died 1922: Ada (Jane) Jones, soprano, born 07-01-1873
- Died 2002: George (Béla) Kehler, pianist/teacher, born-?? [Book: "The Piano in Concert"]
- Born 1903: Sylvan Levin, conductor, died-??
- Born 1754: Vicente Martin y Soler, composer, died 02-11-1806
- Died 1864: Giacomo Meyerbeer, composer, born 09-05-1791
- Born 1936: Michael Rabin [Rabinowicz], violinist, died 01-19-1972
- Born 1906: Aulikki Rautawaara, soprano, died 12-29-1990
- Born 1905: Alan Rawsthorne, composer, died 07-24-1971
- Died 1953: Walter Rummel, pianist/composer/transcriber, born 07-19-1887
- Born 1660: Alessandro Scarlatti, composer, died 1-22-1725
- Died 1937: (Sir) Arthur Somervell, composer, born 06-05-1863
- Born 1928: Horst Stein, conductor
- Born 1914: Kurt Wöss, conductor, died 12-04-1978
- Born 1939: Irina Zaritskaya, pianist, died 07-30-2001
"Counterpoint is related to mathematics. A fool with patience becomes a respectable savant in that, but for the part of genius, melody, it has no rules."
What happened on this day in music history?
In 1966, composer David Diamond's Concerto for Piano and his Fifth Symphony were given their premiere performances by the New York Philharmonic Orhcestra under the baton of Leonard Bernstein.