The Julliard and Mozart

gfweis

The Julliard and Mozart

Post by gfweis » Sat May 06, 2006 6:13 pm

I have an RCA lp (LM-2167) from circa 1957 (the notes are copyrighted that date) with the Julliard String Quartet playing the K. 387 & K. 465 quartets. They are beyond wonderful, especially the K. 387, and I wonder if anyone knows if there has ever been a cd transfer of these recordings. The members of the quartet at that time were Robert Mann & Robert Koff-violins, Raphael Hillyer-violist, and Claus Adam-cello (the originals, I believe). (As an aside, by the time the Julliard recorded the Haydn quartets for CBS in the mid-seventies, only Mann remained from that group.) I have not heard the 1962 set of Haydn quartets the Julliard recorded for Epic (now, I believe, on Locked-in-the-Vault cd transfers), but they are very high on my want list, and I hope I get them in the near future. And there's a K. 465 from 1957 on Testament that I hope to hear someday. Still, I'd surely love to have that RCA recording on cd if it's available.
Greg Weis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Mozart String Quartet No.19 in C, K.465, 'Dissonance'
Haydn String Quartet in C, Op.74 No.1, HobIII/72 (1793)
Haydn String Quartet in G, Op.77 No.1, HobIII/81 (1799)
Schubert String Quartet in C minor, D.703 'Quartettsatz'

Juilliard String Quartet:
Robert Mann · Robert Koff · Isidore Cohen violins · Raphael Hillyer viola · Claus Adam ­cello

This disc focuses on the Juilliard's prowess in the Viennese classics. The Mozart and Haydn performances come from two famous mono LPs that were released together in 1957 (the original coupling for the Dissonance Quartet, K387 in G, will be on a future Testament CD reissue). The Juilliard's early audiences were impressed by the group's straightforward, unmannered yet expertly played interpretations of classical pieces; and by the time these recordings were made, the players were well accustomed to working in the studio. If the Haydn disc originally caused the greater stir, it was because manly, virtuosic, rhythmically vital Haydn quartet playing of this calibre was rarely heard in those days. It is still salutary to hear how well Koff and Hillyer project the inner parts. For an encore, we have Schubert's Quartettsatz, the first movement of an unfinished C minor work in stereo, with Isidore Cohen as second violinist.

Publisher/Manufacturer: Testament
Imprint: SBT 1372

http://www.bookstore.juilliard.edu/shop ... p?id=19121

also
http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=9479

gfweis

Post by gfweis » Sun May 07, 2006 5:51 am

Thanks jserraglio. It's great to see that K. 387 is on its way!
Greg Weis