Your Pick: Rimsky's SCHEHERAZADE

Wallingford

Your Pick: Rimsky's SCHEHERAZADE

Post by Wallingford » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:38 pm

Another stalwart warhorse that's in no great danger of being overworked. Rimsky's orchestral genius sees it through almost singlehandedly (& if you ever read his autobiography, "My Musical Life," like I've been these days, you'd know it's just plain incredible how he, alone among his colleagues in "The Mighty Five," had arrived at such an astounding technique).

The LP I grew up with was Goossens/LSO; pretty pedestrian compared to numerous others I heard later on. I think--after all this time--that it's DORATI, in his years with the Minnesotans, who had just about all the last words on this work. With all deference to fans of the famed Beecham recording (a VERY fine one, indeed), it's Dorati who was able to maximize the improvisatory elements in the work: particularly those magnificent woodwind solos in the "Kalendar Prince" movement......this work was probably the trailblazer when it came to instrumental works that left a certain leeway for a player to string out a succession of repeated notes to his/her heart's delight, while the back-up players vamp away. Dorati swings the doors wide open for his woodwinds here--and, of course, the Minnesota winds always had an endearingly quirky quality which (Thank God!!) no amount of anal-retentive, spit-polish from De Waart & Marriner could ever obliterate. Dorati's no slouch, either, in the remainder of the performance--color & fire to burn.

I have a separate honor for recordings with the MOST HEART-WRENCHING VIOLIN SOLOIST: Miriam Solovieff, in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra recording under Mario Rossi (on Vanguard). Not that there's even a great deal of nuance, per se, to Solovieff's playing; but the TONE's the thing. It forever snaps the ears to attention even when one's mind is diverted to other things in the course of the performance.

What's your choice?
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:40 pm

Actually, this is one of the rare one's that I think Karajan shines above all others, including Beecham.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:11 pm

Karajan had been my favorite for a while (the BPO had a great sound under him for this music). But since I discovered the Stokowski/LSO recording (which I have on Cala, but which is also available on Decca), that one is my top pick. It's such a sensual performance.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

val

Post by val » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:21 am

Actually, this is one of the rare one's that I think Karajan shines above all others, including Beecham
Even above Kondrachin with the Concertgebow Orchestra?

pizza

Post by pizza » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:30 am

That's too easy. Gimme a hard one.

Reiner/Chicago of course. :wink:

dirkronk

Post by dirkronk » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:58 am

Reiner for great sonics, precision, virtuoso individual instrumental work and ensemble playing from the Chicago--truly a wonder and still my overall fave. Kondrashin for passion, great drive, power and the achingly gorgeous solo violin work of Herman Krebbers--occupies the top tier with Reiner. Below these two are many that are very good (Beecham, Monteux/LSO, and several others), but that I listen to much less nowadays.

In the historical realm, the earliest Stokowski with Philadelphia (late 1920s) is pretty amazing IMO; his London traversal from the Decca Phase 4 is special, too--but avoid the Philharmonia version, which tends toward the tepid in comparison. Also, if you chance upon the Van Beinum/Concertgebouw (mono era but good sound), give it a try as well.

FWIW,

Dirk

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:36 am

For me, interchangeably for FIRST PICK is

[1] Leopold Stokowski/RPO - Decca/London 417.753
[1a] Leopold Stokowski/RPO - RCA 7743
[2] Sir Thomas Beecham/RPO - EMI 47717

Odd, for me the most incredible performances all feature the RPO.

Alternates:

[1] Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony - RCA 7018 or 68168
[2] Leopold Stokowski/His Symphony Orchetra - Testament 1139
[3] Pierre Monteux/LSO - Decca/London 421.400
[4] Antal Dorati/LSO - Mercury 462.953

Simply an amazing piece of orchestral writing!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 pm

I admire the Kondrashin too. Gergiev with the Kirov gives a rich and powerful account.
"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Stokowski on Decca

Karajan

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:24 pm

DORATI......speak of the devil (heh-heh), I know a place here in Seattle where I can pick up some vinyl of his LPO account (his first?) for little under a buck-and-a-half.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:26 pm

Lance wrote:For me, interchangeably for FIRST PICK is

[1] Leopold Stokowski/RPO - Decca/London 417.753
[1a] Leopold Stokowski/RPO - RCA 7743
[2] Sir Thomas Beecham/RPO - EMI 47717

Odd, for me the most incredible performances all feature the RPO.
Not quite :). Stoki's Decca/London recording is with the LSO, not the RPO.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:19 pm

dirkronk wrote:Reiner for great sonics, precision, virtuoso individual instrumental work and ensemble playing from the Chicago--truly a wonder and still my overall fave.
In the historical realm, the earliest Stokowski with Philadelphia (late 1920s) is pretty amazing IMO;
Another vote for Reiner/CSO. Sheherazade lives or dies by the orchestra soloists, and Reiner/CSO had real champions....

the old Stoki/PhilaOrch is really good too, in suprisingly decent sound...some legendary musicians in their glory are showcased.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:14 pm

Do I hear any votes for ANSERMET??

He recorded it something like 4 times: twice with the Paris Conservatory Orch., twice with his Suisse Romande. It was obviously a favorite of his. And even though, virtuosity-wise, neither group stands up to most of the above-mentioned, Ansermet's natural color spectrum and sense of long line see it through quite handily.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Fugu

Post by Fugu » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:15 pm

Stokowski on Cala
Reiner on Living Stereo (SACD)

maskedman

Scheherazade

Post by maskedman » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:25 am

I agree with the stoki, reiner, would add a couple of names onto the list...

Temirkanov on RCA and just to mention the dreaded C word...

Celibidache on DG :roll:

hautbois

Post by hautbois » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:39 am

Kondrahin, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
Recently heard Reiner, CSO, Strauss's Symphony Domestica, unbelievable....

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:41 pm

Y'know--this work's so full of interpretive leeway, more than the rigidity of a Reiner might suggest. Case in point: NEEME JARVI's different performances, mainly in comparing his '86 Royal Scottish Orchestra performance (on Chandos) with a live performance he did during his next-to-next-to-last season with the Detroit Symphony, not too long after he had his stroke. The earlier performance clocks in at just over the normal 45 minutes, but (perhaps wanting to take it easy nowadays) he stretched out the later performance to nearly 53 minutes, with plenty opportunity to wallow in luxurious lyricism. It's still a winner.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

MartinPh

Post by MartinPh » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:19 am

Mackerras on Telarc.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:14 am

i like this music enough to not care much who does it. i always find it enjoyable.

my recordings are -

reiner
mackerras
ansermet

dj

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:17 am

Welcome to the CMG, David!
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:35 am

I have an old Reiner/CSO LP which is adequate for something that gets played once or twice a decade.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:53 pm

Gary wrote:Welcome to the CMG, David!
gary:

thanx for the welcome.
i know a gary from texas. i wonder if you're him? been conducting any agapkin lately?

dj

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 pm

david johnson wrote:
Gary wrote:Welcome to the CMG, David!
gary:

thanx for the welcome.
i know a gary from texas. i wonder if you're him? been conducting any agapkin lately?

dj
The only kind of conducting that I do is "air" conducting. :)
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

AntonioA

Post by AntonioA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Ansermet made three or four recordings of this piece. I have his first LP version. Very good, but my favorite is the even older Monteux recording with the SF Symphony. A magic perfomance.
AntonioA

RGM

Scheherezade

Post by RGM » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:26 pm

One of my favorites of the warhorses. Did you know that
Rimsky orchestrated by laying out the players' parts on a circle
of stands and walking around filling them in? Before he had
written out a full score!

I've always thought Beecham's recording was a great one.
But the only Muti recording of anything that I ever thought
was great was his recording of Scheherezade with the Philadelphia.
The climax with the sinking ship in that one is terrifying.