I want a darker version of Vivaldis - Gloria in Excelsis Deo

oponder

I want a darker version of Vivaldis - Gloria in Excelsis Deo

Post by oponder » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:47 am

Does anyone know what I might be looking for? I figured this would be the best place to look.

This btw is the one where the lyrics only contain "Gloria in Excelsis Deo". i.e its not the instantly recognizable christmas song. I like the chorus and the way they harmonize with the other instruments, and I want to hear more like it but darker...

So basically I'm asking if anyone knows a dark chorus piece with supporting orchestra instruments.

Thanks in advance :)
(And sorry if this kind of request isnt appreciated here)

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:45 am

yeah try Schnittke. Thats dark.
Requiem, Concerto for Chorus :D
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

PJME

Post by PJME » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Hello Oponder. this is the right place to ask questions about music,repertoire, performers, composers, instruments....Some of us sometimes get carried away by their love or dislike of a certain composer/artist…..don’t worry
Keep cool and read (also between) the lines....there’s very often good information to be discovered.

At first I thought that you were looking for another version of Vivaldi's Gloria - but that is not the case. It is all about other compositions.
Well, there's "History" to choose from!

For today, I'll stick to just a few works I like - I'm sure other posters will add much more.

Paul's suggestion of Alfred Schnittke isn't bad at all . Let me briefly introduce this unusual artist:

From Schirmer's website :
"Alfred Schnittke composed 9 symphonies, 6 concerti grossi, 4 violin concertos, 2 cello concertos, concertos for piano and a triple concerto for violin, viola and cello, as well as 4 string quartets and much other chamber music, ballet scores, choral and vocal works. His first opera, Life with an Idiot, was premiered in Amsterdam (April 1992). His two new operas, Gesualdo and Historia von D. Johann Fausten were unveiled in Vienna (May 1995) and Hamburg (June 1995) respectively.

From the 1980s, Schnittke's music gained increasing exposure and international acclaim. Schnittke has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including Austrian State Prize in 1991, Japan's Imperial Prize in 1992, and, most recently the Slava-Gloria-Prize in Moscow in June 1998; his music has been celebrated with retrospectives and major festivals worldwide. More than 50 compact discs devoted exclusively to his music have been released in the last ten years.

In 1985, Schnittke suffered the first of a series of serious strokes. Despite his physical frailty, however, Schnittke suffered no loss of creative imagination, individuality or productivity. Beginning in 1990, Schnittke resided in Hamburg, maintaining dual German-Russian citizenship. He died, after suffering another stroke, on 3 August 1998 in Hamburg. "

This is late XXth century music and you will be surprised how very different it is from Vivaldi's music !!!

Anyhow, you could explore the choral/orchestral music by J.S.Bach. Try his Magnificat. An exuberant piece ,full of memorable melodies and inventive,fresh orchestration.
Bach wrote many choral works, but the Magnificat is a good start.His cantatas for Christmas (which combine into a Christmas oratorio/Weihnachtsoratorium) have sweeping and happy choruses and exquisite,tender solos .

G.F.Handel : Ode for Saint Cecilia’s day ( very festive & opulent)

Henry Purcell: Birthday ode for queen Mary ( gentle but joyous – you can sing along) – and Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary ( impressive !) .

In the 19th and 20th century you have once more a wide choice – from serious ( Anton Bruckner’s Te Deum, Johannes Brahms’ Nänie, Gesang der Parzen, Schicksalslied…) to very grand or funny.. ( William Walton’s Gloria, Francis Poulenc’s Gloria, Benjamin Britten’s Cantata Academica , Saint Nicolas cantata, Noye’s fludde…., A spring symphony.

Igor Stravinski's Symphony of psalms, Leos Janacek's Glagolitic mass,Bela Bartok's Cantata profana ,Luigi Dallapiccola's Canti di prigionia,Frank Martin's In terra pax...are works well worth exploring ...and not to difficult to find. (Amazon, Arkhiv,CD Universe...etc)

Sincerely, Peter
Last edited by PJME on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm

A no-brainer:

Mozart's Requiem

Opus132

Post by Opus132 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:02 pm

A brainer:

Ligeti's Requem.

:D

val

Post by val » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:55 am

Well, Webern's Two Cantatas and "Das Augenlicht" are very beautiful works, the same as Schönberg's Moderner Psalm, Friede auf Erden and the Psalm 130.

But I am affraid they are not dark enough.

So, why not try Xenakis "Nuits"?

paulb

Post by paulb » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 am

johnQpublic wrote:A no-brainer:

Mozart's Requiem
Yes heavy and dark.
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

oponder

Post by oponder » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks for all your replies! I'm currently trying to acquire the works you guys have suggested :D Thank you PJME especially for the very informative reply :)

By the by... I think Henry Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary was used in Clockwork Orange? I don't have the movie to check but im pretty sure it is. Eitherway that certainly is a very dark piece!

Thanks again

PJME

Post by PJME » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:24 pm

You're welcome Oponder. Let us know what you think of the discoveries!

Peter

J Nguyen

Post by J Nguyen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 pm

There's Benjamin Britten's War Requiem and Verdi's Requiem. For the War Requiem, you can't go wrong with the Decca recording with Britten himself conducting the London Symphony Orchestra! For the Verdi, there's another Decca recording that's pretty good; it has Solti conducting the Vienna Philharmonic with Talvela, Pavarotti, Sutherland, and Horne. As far as dark goes, those two are pretty dark.