Dvorak String Quartet "America"

chulheekim

Dvorak String Quartet "America"

Post by chulheekim » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to find the best recording for Dvorak String Quartet "America".
Can you recommand a few?

I'll appreciate if you could recommand some other composers' string quartet that you think I should try. I know Smetana's "From my life" is also good.

Thank you in advance.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:30 pm

My recommendations:
The Prague SQ
The Budapest SQ
The Stamitz SQ
(I have also an early version by THE Budapest original hungarian, 1926, but you won't find it) :roll:

CharmNewton

Re: Dvorak String Quartet "America"

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:33 pm

chulheekim wrote:Hi all,

I'm trying to find the best recording for Dvorak String Quartet "America".
Can you recommand a few?

I'll appreciate if you could recommand some other composers' string quartet that you think I should try. I know Smetana's "From my life" is also good.

Thank you in advance.
My favorites of the American quartet are by the Hagen Quartet and the Emerson Quartet. Both quartets are in top form and both recordings are on Deutsche Grammophon (DG). If you live in the U.S., the Hagen Quartet recording may be hard to find.

Other quartets: Haydn (any, there are many), Mozart (Nos. 14-23 are mature works), Beethoven (Op. 18 for starters), Brahms (any of the three) and Schubert's No. 14, Death and the Maiden. I very much like the quartets of Debussy and Ravel as well, and both are usually coupled on the same disc. Schubert's Quintet in C major is also an extraordinary work.

Others will make recommendations and you'll probably have enough to keep you busy for a year. :)

John

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:07 pm

I tried finding my recording of the Dvořák on Amazon, but no luck. It's on the London label with the Takács Quartet and features:
-5 Bagatelles Op. 47 (featuring a harmonium - sweet!)
-Quartet in F major Op.96 "The American"
-Quartet in A-flat Op. 105
74+ minutes with clean recording of the "in your face" variety, but the playing and ensemble are very fine.

Other quartets I particularly like:
-The Ravel and Debussy Quartets, almost invariably paired on recordings. Mine feature the Julliard (on LP), the Emerson, and the Lindsay Quartets, but numerous good ones abound.

-Shostakovich's series of 15 string quartets. The box-set recordings by the Borodin and the Fitzwilliam Quartets are most mentioned by cognoscenti, but mine are spread among recordings by the Borodin, the Emerson, the Manhattan, the Brodsky, and even the more notably avant garde Kronos Quartet -- with some interesting duplications.

-Bartok's 6 String Quartets played by the Emerson Quartet on DG -- dynamite!

I'm not a big fan of Haydn's (too milquetoast) or Beethoven's (they're not symphonies :P ) quartets, but a recording of Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" and "Rosamunde" played by the Alban Berg Quartet is a particular favorite. And I'll second the recommendation of his Quintet in C.

val

Post by val » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:10 am

Regarding the opus 96, the best version, to me, is the one of the Janacek Quartet, very lyrical.

pardew

Post by pardew » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Dvorak String Quartet op 96 is a favorite work,and I have recordings by Amadeus,Smetena,and Prague Quartets.
There is a great tradition of Czech String Quartets,and in there own music they are unbeatable.
The best version for me is an LP by the Slovak Quartet on Opus 9111 0232 from the early 70s.They really bring out the folk element of the music and there is a lilting quality that is very enjoyable.

Regards LPH