8-year old Rachel plays Ravel

piston

8-year old Rachel plays Ravel

Post by piston » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:05 am

Q. What happens when a child's dexterity playing a video game is invested in a piano instead? A. a very promising future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDac1UdBY6c

N.B. Unfortunately, the music and the video are not well synchronized.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Nice! Except for the...oh...5-second delay. :D

I find Ravel to be one of the harder composers to interpret, mainly because it's difficult to give each voice its own character.

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Burchest

Re: 8-year old Rachel plays Ravel

Post by Burchest » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 pm

piston wrote:Q. What happens when a child's dexterity playing a video game is invested in a piano instead? A. a very promising future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDac1UdBY6c

N.B. Unfortunately, the music and the video are not well synchronized.
It's kids like her that cause envy to creep into my life.....and I don't play video games so maybe that's my problem

piston

Post by piston » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 pm

I think I have watched that video clip five or six times by now! Somehow it gives me hope about the future of classical music and I am also reminded of how one generation can be vastly different from the next. I have nothing against video games; my kids have grown up with them and become astonishingly dexterous in the process of playing them. Only my daughter, though, traded them for reading books, around 13 or 14 y.o. All have played musical instruments but not like this. Rachel is playing an incredibly difficult piece with remarkable ease and aplomb. :D
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)