Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Locked
burnitdown
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am
Contact:

Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by burnitdown » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:34 pm

Air over some parts of the open southern oceans may be the last vestiges of almost pre-industrial skies. The only pollutants in that air are sea salt, a little mineral dust, a faint whiff of brimstone from volcanoes and a smidgen of smoke from wildfires.

It's not that someone is hoping to bottle the virgin air and sell it. Rather, the air is needed to understand how much dust was around to trigger cloud formation and rainfall before humans started inadvertently tinkering with the system.

http://www.realitynews.com/archive/334.html

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:03 am

I didn't know there was serious scientific debate about human degratation of air quality.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

burnitdown
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am
Contact:

Post by burnitdown » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:07 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:I didn't know there was serious scientific debate about human degratation of air quality.
Yeah, as far as I know, most scientists take it as fact :)

Conservativemaestro
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Ventura, California

Re: Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by Conservativemaestro » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm

burnitdown wrote:Air over some parts of the open southern oceans may be the last vestiges of almost pre-industrial skies. The only pollutants in that air are sea salt, a little mineral dust, a faint whiff of brimstone from volcanoes and a smidgen of smoke from wildfires.

It's not that someone is hoping to bottle the virgin air and sell it. Rather, the air is needed to understand how much dust was around to trigger cloud formation and rainfall before humans started inadvertently tinkering with the system.

http://www.realitynews.com/archive/334.html
Yeah there's pollution in certain area, whatcha gonna do? This country is not by far the worst in pollution, some of the Asian countries for instance China, have terrible pollution. Well, I think a lot of these global warming warnings, are scare tactics waged by the far left - President Clinton vetoed a bill to drill in the ANWR in Alaska for oil. Oh that's right, we don't want to hurt that Caribou mating cycle, so as a result we continue importing and supporting terrorists by giving them money for oil. The oil imported from the Middle East, is shipped on these ocean tankers, which are far less environmentally friendly than drilling in the ANWR.
Keith

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Considering that humans and other animals inhale oxygen and vent Co2 into the atmosphere we pollute the air by virtue of our very existence

Fugu

Re: Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by Fugu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:39 am

Conservativemaestro wrote:
burnitdown wrote:Air over some parts of the open southern oceans may be the last vestiges of almost pre-industrial skies. The only pollutants in that air are sea salt, a little mineral dust, a faint whiff of brimstone from volcanoes and a smidgen of smoke from wildfires.

It's not that someone is hoping to bottle the virgin air and sell it. Rather, the air is needed to understand how much dust was around to trigger cloud formation and rainfall before humans started inadvertently tinkering with the system.

http://www.realitynews.com/archive/334.html
Yeah there's pollution in certain area, whatcha gonna do? This country is not by far the worst in pollution, some of the Asian countries for instance China, have terrible pollution. Well, I think a lot of these global warming warnings, are scare tactics waged by the far left - President Clinton vetoed a bill to drill in the ANWR in Alaska for oil. Oh that's right, we don't want to hurt that Caribou mating cycle, so as a result we continue importing and supporting terrorists by giving them money for oil. The oil imported from the Middle East, is shipped on these ocean tankers, which are far less environmentally friendly than drilling in the ANWR.
What an absolutely assinine viewpoint. This is not the time to point fingers at who is "the worst in pollution." The thread title was humans have wrecked air quality and there is no question of that. Quit putting on the right-wing blinders

Conservativemaestro
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Ventura, California

Re: Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by Conservativemaestro » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:22 am

Continue with the scare tactics, I'm going to go buy a big SUV.
Keith

Fugu

Re: Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by Fugu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 am

Conservativemaestro wrote:Continue with the scare tactics, I'm going to go buy a big SUV.
And you, together with the other gas-guzzling swine, continue to ruin our planet with an attitude that reminds us all of the ostrich who buries his head in the sand.

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Post by keaggy220 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:58 am

From what I've read (sorry, this is by memory and I can't site sources) the scientific community is not united at all on how to reverse the effects of modern human activity without going back to the days of Johnny Appleseed.

Personally, as long as I don't have to start cutting the grass year-round, I'll enjoy the mild winters.

anasazi
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Proof humans have wrecked air quality

Post by anasazi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:40 am

Conservativemaestro wrote:
burnitdown wrote:Air over some parts of the open southern oceans may be the last vestiges of almost pre-industrial skies. The only pollutants in that air are sea salt, a little mineral dust, a faint whiff of brimstone from volcanoes and a smidgen of smoke from wildfires.

It's not that someone is hoping to bottle the virgin air and sell it. Rather, the air is needed to understand how much dust was around to trigger cloud formation and rainfall before humans started inadvertently tinkering with the system.

http://www.realitynews.com/archive/334.html
Yeah there's pollution in certain area, whatcha gonna do? This country is not by far the worst in pollution, some of the Asian countries for instance China, have terrible pollution. Well, I think a lot of these global warming warnings, are scare tactics waged by the far left - President Clinton vetoed a bill to drill in the ANWR in Alaska for oil. Oh that's right, we don't want to hurt that Caribou mating cycle, so as a result we continue importing and supporting terrorists by giving them money for oil. The oil imported from the Middle East, is shipped on these ocean tankers, which are far less environmentally friendly than drilling in the ANWR.
Actually, there are lots of things we could do, but right now there is not a national consensus, so until that happens, probably nothing.

I did want to respond to the ANWR drilling issue however. It seems that whenever this issue comes up, there is confusion. Don't you realize that this oil will be delivered by ocean tankers? Also, it will likely be sold to foreign nations, say Japan or Korea. That is after all a whole lot cheaper for the producers than shipping it to the U.S. East Coast for instance. Then also, even if we decide to go and see if the oil is there, it is at least 10 years into the future before it will be available and until we build more oil refineries, it may not even be of any use to us. Even then, I read that there is likely no more than a years worth or oil. It just seems like a last ditch stop-gap measure when we should really be trying to find a long term solution.

But then we see resistance from the left when anybody sugests nuclear energy. I'm all for wind power and thermal power too, but I don't see that as enough to keep us going in our current lifestyle.

The sooner we face that fact that oil is a limited resource, the sooner we can begin working on something better.

As for global warming, I do think it is happening. I don't think anyone yet knows the repercusions - how it will effect us. It worries me, but I'm not seeing the same feelings from many others. I'm sure that the longer that we wait, the more difficult it will be to turn around it's effects. But I have no idea if it's already too late or if there is still plenty of time.

Also, by all that I have read, the USA is still the worst polluter. Although China likely will eventually take over that label. Probably fairly soon.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

burnitdown
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am
Contact:

Post by burnitdown » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:32 pm

keaggy220 wrote:From what I've read (sorry, this is by memory and I can't site sources) the scientific community is not united at all on how to reverse the effects of modern human activity without going back to the days of Johnny Appleseed.
Actually, it's fairly simple :)

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Post by keaggy220 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 pm

burnitdown wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:From what I've read (sorry, this is by memory and I can't site sources) the scientific community is not united at all on how to reverse the effects of modern human activity without going back to the days of Johnny Appleseed.
Actually, it's fairly simple :)
We all turn Amish?

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests