Pythagoras

Chopin fan

Pythagoras

Post by Chopin fan » Mon May 29, 2006 3:51 pm

For who does not know that Pythagoras calmed a drunk adolescent of Taormine who had become incited under the infuence of the Phrygian mode, and that Pythagoras further restored this boy to his rightful senses, all by means of a spondaic melody?

Does the spondaic melody really do this? Would it help me woo women? Or is Boethius full-of-it?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: Pythagoras

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon May 29, 2006 4:16 pm

Chopin fan wrote:Does the spondaic melody really do this? Would it help me woo women? Or is Boethius full-of-it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the Day Award to ya, Chopin.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

michael renardy

Post by michael renardy » Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Or is Boethius full-of-it?
The story definitely predates Boethius. Various sources on the web attribute it to Lamblichus, and even Cicero.

Chopin fan

Post by Chopin fan » Mon May 29, 2006 5:11 pm

I would imagine so--Pythagoras was one of the original gangstas. I read that he sacrificed an ox when he discovered the square on the hypotenuse of a right triangle to be equal to the sum of the squares on it's sides.

But seriously, is any of the classical philosophy of music worth reading?