Sarah Palin: Pros and Cons [Thread Retitled]

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Sarah Palin: Pros and Cons [Thread Retitled]

Post by stenka razin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

From CNN..........Please comment....

McCain Picks Palin

Sen. John McCain has picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, a senior McCain campaign official told CNN on Friday.

Palin, 44, who's in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

The conservative Palin defeated two so-called political insiders to win the governor's job -- incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the GOP primary and former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the 2006 general election.

Palin made her name in part by backing tough ethical standards for politicians. During the first legislative session after her election, her administration passed a state ethics law overhaul.

Palin's term has not been without controversy. A legislative investigation is looking into allegations that Palin fired Alaska's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Palin acknowledged that a member of her staff made a call to a trooper in which the staffer suggested he was speaking for the governor.

Palin has admitted that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister.

"I am truly disappointed and disturbed to learn that a member of this administration contacted the Department of Public Safety regarding Trooper Wooten," Palin said. "At no time did I authorize any member of my staff to do so."

Palin suspended the staffer who made the call.

Palin has focused on energy and natural resources policy during her short stint in office, and she is known for her support of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, a position opposed by McCain but supported by many grass-roots Republicans.

Her biography on the state governor's Web site says one of the two major pieces of legislation passed during her first legislative session was a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

Palin started Alaska's Petroleum Systems Integrity Office, an oversight and maintenance agency for the state's oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure. She created the Climate Change Subcabinet that would forge a climate change strategy, according to the Web site.

At present, Palin chairs the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multistate panel "that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment," the biography says.

She has been named chair of the National Governors Association's Natural Resources Committee. That panel is focused on legislation to ensure that federal policies take state priorities into account in agriculture, energy, environmental protection and natural resource management.

She is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and takes part in two of Alaska's popular pastimes -- fishing and hunting.

The governor's biography said Palin's other priorities have been "education and workforce development, public health and safety, and transportation and infrastructure development."

The biography touts other achievements during her time as governor -- the investment of $5 billion in state savings, overhaul of educational funding and implementation of a program to help low-income elderly Alaskans.

Born in Idaho, she is a longtime Alaskan and a Protestant. Her biography said she arrived in Alaska in 1964, "when her parents came to teach school in Skagway."

She graduated from Wasila High School in 1982 and received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987.

Her husband is Todd Palin, an oil production operator on Alaska's North Slope. They have five children, including a son who enlisted in the Army last year.

Congressional Quarterly notes Sarah Palin's other past occupations, including commercial fishing company owner, outdoor recreational equipment company owner and sports reporter.

Palin also made an unsuccessful run for lieutenant governor in 2002, Congressional Quarterly said.

slofstra

Palin: Pros and Cons [Tread Retitled]

Post by slofstra » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 am

Death knell for McCain.

Here is what the opening line in the WSJ story says,
"McCain picked first-term Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, adding a little-known but reform-minded woman to his ticket."

Little known? This seems like a cynical, demographically oriented play. Bound to backfire.

There are other red flags on this.
"She is known for her support of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge". And a checkered history in Alaska.

The main thing about VP is that the candidate has to look/ seem Presidential - in case the worst happens. She doesn't.

My gut level response based on next to no knowledge (but check my prediction record, so far).

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: Sarah Palin Republican VEEP Choice

Post by RebLem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 am

Well, I was right about one thing. He picked a woman to try to get the Hillary PUMAs votes. RebLem

McCain picks Palin as running mate

Alaska governor to be first female Republican VP nominee

MSNBC and NBC News
Friday, August 29, 2008

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, campaign officials told NBC News on Friday.

She would be the first woman to serve on a Republican presidential ticket. The pro-life Palin would also be the first Alaskan ever to appear on a national ticket.

Palin, 44, was elected Alaska's first woman governor in 2006. The state’s voters had grown weary of career politician Gov. Frank Murkowski, whom she defeated in the GOP primary.

“I've been blessed with the right timing here,” Palin said before the election. “There's no doubt that Alaskans right now are dealing in an atmosphere of distrust of government and industry.”

Palin's selection was a stunning surprise, as McCain passed over many other better-known prospects, some of whom had been the subject of intense speculation for weeks or months.

She is a generation younger than Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic ticket.

She is three years Obama's junior, as well, and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama's relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.

On Aug. 1, Palin scored a major victory when the Alaska legislature passed a bill that authorizes her administration to award a license to TransCanada Alaska to build a 1,715-mile natural gas pipeline from Prudhoe Bay on Alaska’s North Slope to a hub in Canada.

The pipeline would be the largest construction project in the history of North America. If completed as hoped within ten years, it would ship 4.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. The United States imported about 10 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day in 2007.

Under investigation for firing

But Palin’s seemingly bright future was clouded in late July when the state legislature voted to hire an independent investigator to find out whether she tried to have a state official fire her ex-brother-in-law from his job as a state trooper.

The allegation was made by former Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, whom Palin fired in mid-July.

"It is a governor’s prerogative, a right, to fill that cabinet with members whom she or he believes will do best for the people whom we are serving,” Palin told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow in an interview on Aug. 1. “So I look forward to any kind of investigation or questions being asked because I’ve got nothing to hide.”

Palin also reacted to the indictment of Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens by calling it “very dismaying.” She added, “Hopefully though, this won’t be a distraction and get people’s minds off what has to be done in the grand scheme of things.”

As for the prospect of her being vice president, Palin told Kudlow that she could not answer the question of whether she wanted the job “until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day. I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here….”

Palin is married to Todd Palin, a lifelong Alaskan who is a production operator on the North Slope and a four-time champion of the Iron Dog, which is described as "the world's longest snow-machine race."

Mother of five

They have five children. Their son, Track, enlisted in the U.S. Army on Sept. 11, 2007.

Palin gave birth to their fifth child, Trig, last April. The baby boy has Down syndrome, a genetic abnormality that impedes a child's intellectual and physical development.

"When we first heard, it was kind of confusing," Palin said, according to an account in the Anchorage Daily News. She called the news "very, very challenging."

But she added in a note, imagining what God would say to her family, "Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed-up world you live in down there on Earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome."

Palin made a name for herself in Alaska politics by serving as mayor of Wasilla City for six years and going on to run unsuccessfully for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor in 2002.

After her unsuccessful run, Palin received an appointment to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she ended up serving a role in an ethics probe into Republican Party Chairman Randy Reudrich, who was questioned about conflicts of interest with the oil industry.

The investigation ultimately forced Ruedrich to resign from the commission.

Palin's role in the investigation left her a party outsider, but she was able to win the 2006 Republican gubernatorial primary against Murkowski, going on to win the 2006 general election by seven points over her Democratic opponent.

During one debate before the primary, Palin said she was in favor of capital punishment in especially heinous cases such as the murder of a child. "My goodness, hang 'em up, yeah,” she said.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents in 1964, when they went there to teach school.

She received a degree in communications and journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987.

NBC News, msnbc.com and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/fr ... yContinued

Arugula lovers of the world, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your guilt! RebLem
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

JackC

Post by JackC » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 am

Yes, it's obviously a very calculated attempt to get votes of some the apparently large number of women who tell pollsters that they are undecided.

It does raise some interesting dynamics. Every VP has to explain why they would be ready to take over as President. Sometimes it's a big problem, as when Dan Quayle looked ridiculous claimig he was as prepared to be president as John Kennedy was, and got slammed by Benson. Biden will have it easy on this one because no one doubts his experience.

You would think Palin would have a terrible time with it. But doesn't she get to say "I have more experience than Obama." She would have a point. She was a mayor and is a governor, so she has actually run something. Obama has never done anything other than give speeched and run for office. Also, this is about the women's vote and I don't know that women are going to take kindly to a bunch of attacks on her ability/qualifications.

Also, the expectation will be so low in her debate with Biden that if she comes off as bright, cpabale and articulate she may "win" it. Biden is a wierd guy who has some sort of complex about his own inteletctual capabilities. He might step in it, as he has in the past.

It is interesting, and she sure is beautiful! Still, it strike me as a mistake. Getting someone so inexperienced seems to me to be tacitly confirming that even McCain doesn't think that experince is needed. He should be saying just the opposite.

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36 am

I see it as more positive than negative.

She will get some Hillary women plus her selection solidifies the conservative base that was anxious about a Mormon or a liberal, etc.

Her career shows her to be a bit of a maverick too with a concern for government reform and fiscal responsibilty.

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing her speak, what she says and how she says it is VERY important right now. It certainly looks like a grab for the women's vote, and if that is all it is, I'm disappointed. On the other hand, VP choices in the past have targeted certain voting blocs. She is indeed beautiful.

I knew McCain had to be smart enough not to choose Romney. Think I'll watch VP debates.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 pm

She is indeed beautiful.
What do you think of Sally Fields?

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Another curious note, about both campaigns. We have two people here, Palin and Obama, with strong associations with the 49th and 50th states, respectively. Neither party has ever had a nominee for either office from either of those states. And so, for all the talk about turning pages and passing torches and adopting brave new ideas and styles of leadership, in a curious way we also return to the old ideas of physical growth, expansion, and Manifest Destiny.

Posted on August 29th, 2008, the 1,948th day after Shrub announced that major combat operations in Iraq had ended, the 67th day before the November 4th US general election, and the 144th day before the end of the Cheney Kakistocracy. RebLem
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

RebLem wrote:Another curious note, about both campaigns. We have two people here, Palin and Obama, with strong associations with the 49th and 50th states, respectively. Neither party has ever had a nominee for either office from either of those states. And so, for all the talk about turning pages and passing torches and adopting brave new ideas and styles of leadership, in a curious way we also return to the old ideas of physical growth, expansion, and Manifest Destiny.
Obama lived in Hawaii as a kid, but he certainly isn't associated with Hawaii in the sense that Palin is with Alaska. You could just as well associate her with Idaho.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

RebLem wrote:Another curious note, about both campaigns. We have two people here, Palin and Obama, with strong associations with the 49th and 50th states, respectively. Neither party has ever had a nominee for either office from either of those states. And so, for all the talk about turning pages and passing torches and adopting brave new ideas and styles of leadership, in a curious way we also return to the old ideas of physical growth, expansion, and Manifest Destiny.
Interesting observation, but I think you're stretching towards the end. But it is true her experience and record suggest a direction completely out of temper with the times.

Kevin R

Post by Kevin R » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Wow, this pick really seems risky. An entire line of attack (BO is not experienced enough to be prez) is now off the table. I just don't know what to think about this selection. Though I agree she is very attractive :wink:
"Free trade, one of the greatest blessings which a government can confer on a people, is in almost every country unpopular."

-Thomas Macaulay

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm

“Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency,”

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

As much fun as VP discussion choices can be, in the end most of us vote for the person who wants to be President.

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Ted wrote:“Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency,”
Well ... LBJ had tons of credentials ...

I want to know ... can she spell potato? :) :)

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm

She is an ID supporter - how smart can she be?

http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/2006/ ... d_the_ala/
Intelligent Design and the Alaska Governor's Race
Category: Intelligent Design
Posted on: October 27, 2006 11:53 AM, by afarensis, FCD

Just when I thought it was safe to go to Alaska I find this news via Evolution Research - General Evolution News:

The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the state's public classrooms.
Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, 'Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both.'

The Anchorage Daily News has more:

In an interview Thursday, Palin said she meant only to say that discussion of alternative views should be allowed to arise in Alaska classrooms:
"I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

She added that, if elected, she would not push the state Board of Education to add such creation-based alternatives to the state's required curriculum.

Members of the state school board, which sets minimum requirements, are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature.

"I won't have religion as a litmus test, or anybody's personal opinion on evolution or creationism," Palin said.

*snip*

Palin said she thought there was value in discussing alternatives.
"It's OK to let kids know that there are theories out there," she said in the interview. "They gain information just by being in a discussion."

That was how she was brought up, she said. Her father was a public school science teacher.

"My dad did talk a lot about his theories of evolution," she said. "He would show us fossils and say, 'How old do you think these are?' "

Asked for her personal views on evolution, Palin said, "I believe we have a creator."

She would not say whether her belief also allowed her to accept the theory of evolution as fact.

"I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be," she said.

Doesn't like someone I would be much interested in voting for if I lived in Alaska...

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

OMG! He actually did it! And he did it in spite of the fact that she looks like the women Hillary's PUMAs' first husbands left them for. Wow! He gets a 10 for degree of difficulty! We'll have to see if he sticks the landing.

Of course, we have to remember, he's the nominee of the party that can't possibly get elected.

Steve,

Belief in ID has nothing to do with IQ. Grider is a very smart man and he runs the Discovery Institute whose sole purpose in life is to spread the gospel.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Ted wrote:“Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency,”
You're mixing your attributes. Obama needs someone with foreign policy experience, any kind of experience, because he has none. McCain has foreign policy experience, he don't need someone similarly credentialed getting in his way on those matters. He needs someone young enough to settled the age issue, and preferably a woman. Its a gamble, as was Biden's selection for different reasons. Of course the Dems and the MSM were going to rip him whoever he picked.

From RealClearPolitics:

Commentary: Palin is brilliant, but risky, VP choice

By Ed Rollins
CNN Contributor

Editor's note: Ed Rollins, who served as political director for President Reagan, is a Republican strategist who was national chairman of Mike Huckabee's campaign. For a rival view of the Palin pick, read here.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- John McCain's brilliant but risky "Hail Mary pass" choice for vice president, Alaska Gov. Sarah "Barracuda" Palin, has the political world saying first: Who? And then: Why?

The "who" is a young, articulate, smart, tough, pro-life woman who is the governor of our northernmost state. She is conservative and a mother of 5, including a son in the Army who is set to be deployed to Iraq on September 11. Her youngest child has Down syndrome.

The "Barracuda" nickname came from her aggressive basketball play on the state championship basketball team. She is a hunter, pilot and lifetime member of the NRA.

She is blunt, outspoken and charming. And don't assume she can't stand toe-to-toe with Joe Biden. She is a great debater. And she was runner-up for the Miss Alaska title, won Miss Congeniality in that contest, and plays the flute.

She also has a compelling story and is a most interesting choice. She will be known by all in 24 to 48 hours in this instant media world and I am betting she will be well-liked.

The "why" is she is a governor and outside the Beltway. Conservatives love her and she shares John McCain's value system. She is also known for taking on the establishment and ethics is her forte.

She defeated the longtime senator and Republican governor in a primary and then went on and defeated the former Democratic governor.

I don't believe people vote for vice president but only for president. That said, I think she is every bit as good a choice as Biden. Alaska has three electoral votes and so does Delaware -- so that part ends up being a wash.

I think the potential for her to attract women voters is immense. And I am betting, win or lose or draw, she is a future star of a party in desperate need of young people and women role models.

And by the end of this campaign, she too will be a celebrity and her life will never be the same again. I hope that's all for the good.

Speaking of celebrities, Barack Obama proved why he is one at INVESCO Field, home of the Denver Broncos, last night before 85,000 crying, cheering adoring fans. And what's wrong with that? He is a real talent and he excites and inspires his supporters.

Those of us who are not supporters need to step back and quit watching in awe and prepare for battle. Obama's natural and developed speaking style is unchallengeable.

I've been in politics for 40 years. I had the privilege of serving Ronald Reagan as his White House political director and campaign manager and during those years I heard him give hundreds of speeches

And no one was ever better. His words enlightened, gave comfort, inspired and made Americans feel good about themselves again. He also had a core of beliefs developed over a long period of time that led to a very effective agenda.

The Democrats now have their own version of an RR orator. And, like Reagan, Obama's speeches are his own words. Whether he will be elected president or will have the accomplishments RR did only time will tell. But his gifts of speech and ability to inspire his supporters are impressive and should not be underestimated.

Saying all that, and putting the emotion of "mile-high Denver" euphoria aside, Ronald Reagan became a great president because of his many other skills. He knew where he wanted to take our country and had the courage to stick to his beliefs.

We still don't know what Obama and the Democrats want other than George Bush back in Crawford Texas, and their party controlling both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.

We now know the tickets: Obama-Biden; McCain-Palin.

Biden is an asset as a foreign policy adviser. Palin will be an asset on domestic and energy issues. All have compelling stories. But ultimately this race is about McCain's experience and world view and Obama's ability to excite his base.

We have one more exciting convention (now with a new player in Gov. Palin) and then 60-plus days to go at full speed. The winner gets the toughest job in the world with the most difficult agenda we as a nation have faced in decades.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/ ... index.html
Corlyss

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 pm

It's a calculated move that has nothing to do with the best choice for a future President .

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 pm

This continues to be the most interesting Presidential election of my lifetime. Someone above got it bass-ackwards: It's the Democrats who cannot credibly attack her for inexperience since she's more experienced than their own Presidential candidate.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Ted wrote:It's a calculated move that has nothing to do with the best choice for a future President .
So? I think you're trying to tell me that the selection of a 1 term Senator who's never finished a single project he's started and has zero experince is about the best choice for a future president.

Very funny, Ted. Tell me another one.
Corlyss

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Should that not read a Heart Attack away from the Presidency... :lol:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

RebLem

Post by RebLem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:OMG! He actually did it! And he did it in spite of the fact that she looks like the women Hillary's PUMAs' first husbands left them for. Wow! He gets a 10 for degree of difficulty! We'll have to see if he sticks the landing.
You can't do this for yourself, Corlyss, so please allow me.

POST OF THE DAY AWARD TO CORLYSS M DRINKARD !

Arugula lovers of the world, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your guilt! RebLem

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:04 pm

RebLem wrote:
Corlyss_D wrote:OMG! He actually did it! And he did it in spite of the fact that she looks like the women Hillary's PUMAs' first husbands left them for. Wow! He gets a 10 for degree of difficulty! We'll have to see if he sticks the landing.
You can't do this for yourself, Corlyss, so please allow me.

:oops: Thank you, Rob. That's very kind of you. It's the thought that counts.
Corlyss

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 pm

As an admirer of Barack Obama and Joe Biden, I find this choice a fine example of the ability of McCain to select the absolute best people to help him run this country. If this woman represents the person who he thinks should succeed him, above all others, if he were unable to continue as President, the American voters should ponder long and hard about him.

I applaud the selection he's made and thank him for doing something that adds insurance to the Democrat's chances for vctory in November.

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm

CD Writes:
So? I think you're trying to tell me that the selection of a 1 term Senator who's never finished a single project he's started and has zero experince is about the best choice for a future president.
Not quite the same CD. Obama chose to run. People went out of their way to select Palin.
But Republican or Dem, the way we go about selecting a VP is sad .

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

A MILF we can believe in

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Ted wrote: People went out of their way to select Palin.
I disagree. Morris has been touting her for months as the perfect antidote to McCain's stodgy same old/same old appearance.
But Republican or Dem, the way we go about selecting a VP is sad
The way we go about selecting presidential candidates, with this endless string of self-selected candidates from Kennedy on, to the tiresome "It's my turn!" philosophy dominant in the Republican party, stinks too.
Corlyss

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:58 pm

I can see it is a shock to "YUSE PEOPLES". However,
women in politics are no news to us in the Southern
Hemisphere. Our Deputy Prime Minister is a woman.
New Zealand, the first country in the world to give women the
vote, has a woman Prime Minister. And here we all are,
having survived all these feminine catastrophes. :wink:

I have no doubt that the lady chosen by Mr. McCain will bring
a bit of fresh air to the already over-dramatised election process.

Agnes.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:58 pm

What's a PUMA?

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm

PUMA=Party Unity My Ass

RebLem

Post by RebLem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm

slofstra wrote:What's a PUMA?
Its an acronym for Party Unity, My Ass! Its applied to so-called Democratic women who are so upset that Hillary lost, that they are willing to vote for any estrogenized creature on two legs (and even the two legs part may be negotiable) who is running against Obama/Biden, whom they see as twin devils. Stands on issues matter not a whit to them. They are ready to jump at the chance to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Well on general principle I like to see a woman running for high office. In this case, she sure won't get the vote of this previous Hillary supporter no-how. :D

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:01 pm

The short term positive that came from this choice today became obvious watching CBS Evening News:

The was absolutely no report on Obama's acceptance speech/final day of his convention.

Agnes Selby

Post by Agnes Selby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:09 pm

As half of America's population are women, it is only fitting
that a woman should be included in the governance of a nation.
She may or may not get Hillary's voters but she
will energise the Republican Party. Some of the statements
by our good friends on this board are very anti-women
and she has not even spoken yet and cannot be judged only on the
fact that she is a woman. How she views her possible appointment
will be interesting to hear.

Agnes.

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Isn't she the mother of FIVE kids, ages four months to nineteen years, and one has Downes Syndrome? Sounds like she'd be a tad busy to run the US should the need arise.

Chalkperson

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:So? I think you're trying to tell me that the selection of a 1 term Senator who's never finished a single project he's started and has zero experince is about the best choice for a future president.
The difference is, IMHO, that the Public chose Obama, not the DNC who wanted Clinton...38 million Americans watched his Coronation last night...I saw the first few minutes and was struck by the fact that he did nothing with his arms or hands to quieten the rapturous applause, he almost put his hands in his pockets, true Rock Stars know how to manipulate an audience, my guess is that he is so used to basking in his own glory that he has never tried to suppress adulation... :wink:

Chalkperson

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Fugue wrote:Isn't she the mother of FIVE kids, ages four months to nineteen years, and one has Downes Syndrome? Sounds like she'd be a tad busy to run the US should the need arise.
Is the Vice President's Mansion big enough for a family that size, or will she keep the hubby and kids at an undisclosed location... :wink:

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host

Post by Ralph » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
Corlyss_D wrote:So? I think you're trying to tell me that the selection of a 1 term Senator who's never finished a single project he's started and has zero experince is about the best choice for a future president.
The difference is, IMHO, that the Public chose Obama, not the DNC who wanted Clinton...38 million Americans watched his Coronation last night...I saw the first few minutes and was struck by the fact that he did nothing with his arms or hands to quieten the rapturous applause, he almost put his hands in his pockets, true Rock Stars know how to manipulate an audience, my guess is that he is so used to basking in his own glory that he has never tried to suppress adulation... :wink:

I haven't either and that's never done me any harm.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Chalkperson

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Ralph wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:

I haven't either and that's never done me any harm.
But he was being watched by millions, hands are a difficult thing to know what to do with, Bill Clinton was the same at his nomination but the coaches at the White House soon show you how it's done, I used to have to teach new Bands how to stand, which way to turn their head etc...I thought it odd that Obama did not know what to do at the beginning, watch Billy Boy on Wednesday and Obama on Thursday, Bill wins hands down (sic) i'm just surprised that he had not learned how to manipulate an audience, he seemed happy to bask in his own sunlight...and...please understand I have never seen him talk or walk before last night, Joe Biden knows how to do it, and Obama will learn quickly once they are on the road TOGETHER... :wink:

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
Fugue wrote:Isn't she the mother of FIVE kids, ages four months to nineteen years, and one has Downes Syndrome? Sounds like she'd be a tad busy to run the US should the need arise.
Is the Vice President's Mansion big enough for a family that size, or will she keep the hubby and kids at an undisclosed location... :wink:
Can you two hear the sound of ice cracking under your feet? :)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm not that crazy about the pick. He should have gone with by far the safest choice - Pawlenty. There was no need to take a chance with someone like Palin, IMO. I also think the idea that undecided women will vote for McCain just because there is woman on the ticket is folly (not to mention insulting to women).
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Ted wrote: People went out of their way to select Palin.
I disagree. Morris has been touting her for months as the perfect antidote to McCain's stodgy same old/same old appearance.
Morris also said Lieberman would be a good pick. Morris's views are interesting, but he has been so dead wrong on so many predictions over the years, I take what he says with grain of salt.

Given the state of the polls and lack of any significant lead and momentum for Obama, taking a chance with Palin was a unnecessary risk, IMO.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

sfbugala

Post by sfbugala » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm stunned McCain didn't pick Hillary herself, for all the talk of reaching out to PUMA Democrats. Now, THAT would've been a shocker...

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 pm

RebLem wrote:
Oooh Noooo! You revealed her whole name!!! :) :)

Agreed ... that was worthy of a trophy!

Agnes Selby

Post by Agnes Selby » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:00 am

-------

Yesterday, Rev. Wright's acolyte of 20 years accepted
the nomination for the Presidency. He has zero experience
in foreign policy. He could be a heartbeat away
from the presidency. :wink:

---------------

Madame

Post by Madame » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:55 am

slofstra wrote:
She is indeed beautiful.
What do you think of Sally Fields?
Eh? In what respect?

Madame

Post by Madame » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:04 am

She does have a husband, who will likely give up his North Slope job (the commute between DC and Alaska is a killer). Looks pretty much like they've partnered on everything so far.

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:27 am

Madame wrote:
She does have a husband, who will likely give up his North Slope job (the commute between DC and Alaska is a killer). Looks pretty much like they've partnered on everything so far.
I read this morning that she is still nursing the 4-month-old. I'm gonna be interested to see how hubby partners on this one. :wink:

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

Madame

Post by Madame » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:38 am

Chalkperson wrote:
9,000+ sq ft -- they should be able to squeeze in :)

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Madame wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:
Can you two hear the sound of ice cracking under your feet? :)
Do you have to ask? :D
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill