NCAA basketball - March Madness - Contest ready

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

IcedNote

Re: NCAA basketball - March Madness - Contest ready

Post by IcedNote » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Prometheus wrote:It always seems to me that the NBA regular season is slower all around. I don't watch many games and perhaps I am not watching the fast games that you are. The only team I pay attention to is Cleveland and Lebron James is fast enough to make the others look slow. I just think there is a noticeable change in play quality once the regular season ends and the Playoffs begin.

I have just always found College Basketball to have an overall more sense of immediacy and the NBA regular season to be lacking in this. Just my 2 cents. :)
Oh, don't get me wrong...I also prefer the NCAA to the NBA. I've always had a hard time being convinced that the NBA players really care if they win or lose. Even in the playoffs I often don't get that sense. But in college...is there ANY doubt that those kids are playing their hearts out!? Not one. 8)

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Boy, does CBS on demand coverage ever suck eggs this year. I guess I was spoiled by the Olympics.
Problem 1) The servers were overloaded and for a while the games were stuck about 10-15 minutes behind the scoreboard. Every time you restarted the same 2 minutes would show.
2) HQ service was cut off, although the HQ button was not disabled. If you tried to go to HQ you would lose 2-3 minutes getting back to the standard player.
3) The fascists disable all player controls while commercials are playing. You can't switch to another game, go to full screen or do anything else.
4) Point 3 is doubly annoying with the service going up and down because you have to see the commercials on re-entry.
5) I will never ever do business with "Capital One". Tomorrow I will do a web search and see who they are associated with and not do business with those companies either. This is because I saw their stupid Viking player commercial 100 times today.
-- Incidentally I recommend to all and sundry not to use Right Guard deodorant after the Right Guard commercial loop some years ago. They must have played that commercial 50 times in an hour. Apparently at one tavern they threatened to smash the television with croquet racquets and Scottie Pippin's name is still mud. (The commercial featured Scottie Pippen playing croquet). This commercial loop problem is restricted to Canadian television. For some reason when games take extra time they show one or two commercials back to back to back to back to back ....
6) CBS somehow seems to be able to show the commercials in excellent video quality even thought HQ is cut off for the game itself.

* The only bright point is that I listened to 4-5 Richter CDs as I never have the sound on for any of this.

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:45 am

Henry, so the games aren't televised on actual TV up there? Must be like the NHL down here. :roll:

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:52 am

IcedNote wrote:Henry, so the games aren't televised on actual TV up there? Must be like the NHL down here. :roll:

-G
No, I don't have a TV. And further I can barely stand to watch television at all for many reasons but especially because of commercials. Life is too short to spend even a minute watching the same commercial a second, third, fourth, fifth time.

At the same time, the coverage of college basketball in Canada is spotty but we do have CBS. I also dislike sports announcers, and the talking heads at half time. No use for any of them. They add nothing to the viewing experience. You don't have them if you see the event live and no one complains.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

I'm happy enough that we can just get the game online at all.
I usually haven't had too much luck with stuff like that.

BTW........Cornell 19, Temple 11

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:27 pm

MarkC wrote:I'm happy enough that we can just get the game online at all.
I usually haven't had too much luck with stuff like that.

BTW........Cornell 19, Temple 11
I guess I was spoiled by the Olympics coverage. It was absolutely fantastic. I could select from a grid showing every single event, and watch uninterrupted (except the occasional commercial) with no commentary or talking heads. High resolution video feed better than conventional TV and almost as good as HD.

CBS did a better job on MMOD last year by far.

Disabling controls during commercials is a really bad move as far as I'm concerned.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Cornell..............WINS!!!!! :shock:
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 pm

slofstra wrote:......Disabling controls during commercials is a really bad move as far as I'm concerned.
I used the one control they can't disable: turning off the sound. :lol:

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

I used the online feature yesterday and it worked well; only had the commercials appear as they would while being televised. Sorry to hear some of the other experiences were less positive.
MarkC wrote:Cornell..............WINS!!!!! :shock:
Congrats on Cornell winning! :)

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Prometheus wrote:I used the online feature yesterday and it worked well; only had the commercials appear as they would while being televised. Sorry to hear some of the other experiences were less positive.
I think you'll find that if you flip around between games you get stuck with a lot of commercials. Or should I say commercial (singular) ... the same one 100 times.

Just curious how long you viewed on line for, and whether you were multi-tasking at the time.

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 pm

slofstra wrote:
Prometheus wrote:I used the online feature yesterday and it worked well; only had the commercials appear as they would while being televised. Sorry to hear some of the other experiences were less positive.
I think you'll find that if you flip around between games you get stuck with a lot of commercials. Or should I say commercial (singular) ... the same one 100 times.

Just curious how long you viewed on line for, and whether you were multi-tasking at the time.
When I logged on it was only to watch one specific game at a time and I never changed to any others, perhaps that may explain my situation. I had the live stream going for over an hour.

The commercials you mentioned are all over the televised games as well. They do get old really fast. I have had enough of the Ivan Brothers.

I had my browser operating with multiple tabbed pages running at the same time and experienced no loss in cpu performance.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, tonight the viewing is very sporadic. Works fine for 10 minutes or so, then hangs while "buffering" for several minutes. Occasionally you get a message that says "Video error, try again in a few minutes". Under these conditions it's better not to watch at all.
I hate when the video hangs during a commercial; all the controls are disabled so the only response is to kill the browser and start again from scratch.
Arrrggggghh!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:23 am

*** Just another rant follows ****

Most of last night actually did not end up too bad for viewing. I've noticed that later in the evening the video quality drops considerably but at least is displaying without as many glitches.

Switching games is still a horrific experience. Let's say that the half has ended and you want to switch to another game. Reasonable right? First, the controls lock at half time so you are forced to watch 10 or so commercials (not exaggerating). Then when the controls unlock and you switch, you are forced to watch another 4 or 5 commercials (these are sign-on commercials), most of which are the same as the ones you just watched. You then join the new game. Let's say you just happen to hit during one of those TV time-outs (they occur every 4 minutes of play action I believe), you will now get another 5 to 10 commercials. It's quite ridiculous; they need to fix that.

Combine that with video quality issues, and being kicked off the server I was going to pack it in last night. Fortunately, the quality issues settled down.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:28 am

Incidentally, CBS reports that MMOD drew 3 millions unique visitors on Thursday.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 am

Sorry to be obsessing on Cornell (actually, to tell the truth, not that sorry) :lol: .......but I can't help it -- for an old alum, this is just beyond exciting. Not just that they won, but how convincingly, and how much attention and admiration they're getting all over.

And the buzz seems to have it that they might be favored in the next round!! (vs. Wisconsin)
When's the last time an Ivy League team was favored in any game in the NCAA? The answer might be pretty close to "never.
Looks like it's going to be a very close spread either way -- and very likely a great 2nd round game.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:39 am

MarkC wrote:Sorry to be obsessing on Cornell (actually, to tell the truth, not that sorry) :lol: .......but I can't help it -- for an old alum, this is just beyond exciting. Not just that they won, but how convincingly, and how much attention and admiration they're getting all over.

And the buzz seems to have it that they might be favored in the next round!! (vs. Wisconsin, for whom I feel a great allegiance too since I went to school out there as well)
(When's the last time an Ivy League team was favored in any game in the NCAA? The answer might be pretty close to "never.)
Looks like it's going to be a very close spread either way -- and very likely a great 2nd round game.
That's great, Matt. I know my wife picked them in her bracket. I didn't. :cry: In our contest, 23 out of 89 picked Cornell to win that game. Some of the experts called it. Actually, any opening game won by a 9 to 12 seed is not really that unusual. Because of the nature of team selection, the actual quality in the 5 to 12 seed range is all over the place. Interestingly, 10 out of 89 have picked Cornell for tomorrow's game. And one bracket has them going all the way. If they get to Sweet 16 I might root with you. Everyone loves an underdog.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:21 am

slofstra wrote:
MarkC wrote:.....Actually, any opening game won by a 9 to 12 seed is not really that unusual. Because of the nature of team selection, the actual quality in the 5 to 12 seed range is all over the place.....
Absolutely -- well said. There's a lot of guesswork in the seeding in that range, and even when there isn't, there still is. :)

P.S. Looks like Cornell won't be 'favored' after all, and not just based on how only 10 of your 89 are picking them. :lol:
Opening line seems to be Wisconsin by 4.

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:32 am

slofstra wrote:
living_stradivarius wrote:It looks like there was some misunderstanding re: the tie-break numbers...
Send me a PM so I can clear it up. Did you enter? I know your first name is the same as mine, but can't remember the last. If you are who I think you are, you look okay.
Yep that's me. Almost missed entering again this year :P

Well if Cornell wins, their law school will have a pitch to top this one :lol: :

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/andy_ber ... school.php

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:35 am

Incidentally, Henry, you are tied for second place at this moment at the end of round 1. Congratulations. Out of 32 games in round 1, you made 26 correct picks. Quite phenomenal considering the upsets.
You did miss the Cornell win, however.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:14 pm

By the way.......speaking as a 'quasi-scientist'...... :)

I've never taken part in bracket-contests, but if I did (and if my goal was to "win," as opposed to having fun and trying to be 'smart') .......I would think that the best chance to win would be to simply pick the favorite in each and every game. You'd never be right on all the games, but heck, virtually nobody is anyway -- and I would think you'll do better than almost everyone who tries to outsmart the odds.

Does anyone know if there have been "studies" on whether what I'm saying is true? I'd bet it is. (If I were a betting man, which I'm not.) :lol:

Air

Post by Air » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Major upset...St. Mary's beat Villanova (who I thought was overrated anyways)

I'm waiting for Cal to do well so that I can see our two local teams (Cal and St. Mary's) play each other. Fat chance.

West Virginia for the win!

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Kansas just lost. :o So much for my bracket. :shock:

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Prometheus wrote:Kansas just lost. :o So much for my bracket. :shock:
So much for everyone's ... pretty much. If your champion is anyone but Kansas, then this was a good event.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 pm

MarkC wrote:By the way.......speaking as a 'quasi-scientist'...... :)

I've never taken part in bracket-contests, but if I did (and if my goal was to "win," as opposed to having fun and trying to be 'smart') .......I would think that the best chance to win would be to simply pick the favorite in each and every game. You'd never be right on all the games, but heck, virtually nobody is anyway -- and I would think you'll do better than almost everyone who tries to outsmart the odds.

Does anyone know if there have been "studies" on whether what I'm saying is true? I'd bet it is. (If I were a betting man, which I'm not.) :lol:
Depends on the scoring of the contest. If it's purely the number of picks correct then picking the favourite, unless you're sure the favourite is wrong in a given game, is a good strategy. Our contest rewards 'low seed' picks though. So, the question becomes how much risk to take in choosing upsets.
I participate in another contest in which you don't pick game winners but you have to choose one team at each seed level. Everyone chooses 16 teams. There's no risk trade off, and every contest entry is equally "favourited". It's a really fun contest.

Air

Post by Air » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:48 pm

slofstra wrote:
Prometheus wrote:Kansas just lost. :o So much for my bracket. :shock:
So much for everyone's ... pretty much. If your champion is anyone but Kansas, then this was a good event.
I know someone (a lot of people) who have Kansas and Villanova in the championship game... but I have West Virginia and Ohio State. :lol:

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm

slofstra wrote:.....Depends on the scoring of the contest. If it's purely the number of picks correct then picking the favourite, unless you're sure the favourite is wrong in a given game, is a good strategy. Our contest rewards 'low seed' picks though. So, the question becomes how much risk to take in choosing upsets....
Love it!!!
That's a great system.

Is that common in these bracket contests?
I participate in another contest in which you don't pick game winners but you have to choose one team at each seed level. Everyone chooses 16 teams. There's no risk trade off, and every contest entry is equally "favourited". It's a really fun contest.
Sounds darn good too! (and creative)......although I'm not sure I understand it.....I guess you get scored according to the total number of wins by the teams you picked??

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am

Air wrote: I know someone (a lot of people) who have Kansas and Villanova in the championship game... but I have West Virginia and Ohio State. :lol:
Greetings, Air! Welcome to CMG! Hope your bracket turns out well. :)

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:49 am

I had my first bad experience with the online functions last night. Lots of freezing of game play and having to reboot.

In reading the AP article from yesterdays KU-UNI game I noticed this use of words:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1003200287

"The thing about the Panthers is they know defensive positioning as well as any team in the country, moving in a symphonic dance of denial. "

Symphonic dance of denial?! :P

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:25 am

MarkC wrote:
Sounds darn good too! (and creative)......although I'm not sure I understand it.....I guess you get scored according to the total number of wins by the teams you picked??
When more people "win" they tend to be happier :D

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:39 pm

living_stradivarius wrote:When more people "win" they tend to be happier :D
Well I didn't think it meant more people won. :lol:

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Quiet this afternoon, eh? :)

Not if you're a Cornell guy.
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

Air

Post by Air » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Air wrote: I know someone (a lot of people) who have Kansas and Villanova in the championship game... but I have West Virginia and Ohio State. :lol:
Greetings, Air! Welcome to CMG! Hope your bracket turns out well. :)
Thanks Prometheus. I like this place so far.

Cal vs. Duke... They are tied 6-6. Duke is probably going to win but I have to root for the Bears every time. After all, half of my relatives went there!

Edit: Cal winning 9-8.

Edit: Cal losing.

Edit: Damn advertisements. :twisted:

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:21 pm

MarkC-Congrats on the win by Cornell! Their next game versus Kentucky looks to be a great one.

Air-Sorry that Cal couldn't win it today. And yes, the advertisements are all the same. Hope by next week they at least roll out some new ones to inundate us with.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 am

Prometheus wrote:MarkC-Congrats on the win by Cornell!....
Thank you!!
Their next game versus Kentucky looks to be a great one.
I certainly hope so.
And sorry the game against Wisconsin wasn't a great game.

(Actually that's a lie.) :mrgreen:

Here's what really gives me some hope against Kentucky (besides how great Cornell has been going):

They actually lost 2 games this year. :lol:
And they just squeaked by in some of their wins -- including some against middling teams.

You never know......

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:45 am

.....and here's something else maybe to buoy the Big Red (I could not believe this).......

On a site called Kentucky Sports Network, there's actually a page titled, "KEYS TO VICTORY VS. CORNELL."

I'm not making this up. Kentucky has an article titled "Keys to victory vs. Cornell."

Cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/fo ... e=activity

P.S. Some of them are thinking the crowd at the Syracuse arena will be "50-50." Keep dreaming. :)

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 am

MarkC wrote:.....and here's something else maybe to buoy the Big Red (I could not believe this).......

On a site called Kentucky Sports Network, there's actually a page titled, "KEYS TO VICTORY VS. CORNELL."

I'm not making this up. Kentucky has an article titled "Keys to victory vs. Cornell."

Cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/fo ... e=activity

P.S. Some of them are thinking the crowd at the Syracuse arena will be "50-50." Keep dreaming. :)
You're closer to it than I am, Mark, but are they one of the teams people love to hate? Like the Yankees? Duke exposes a similar animus in people, for sure. Whereas North Carolina does not, at least I don't think so.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:05 pm

MarkC wrote:
slofstra wrote:.....Depends on the scoring of the contest. If it's purely the number of picks correct then picking the favourite, unless you're sure the favourite is wrong in a given game, is a good strategy. Our contest rewards 'low seed' picks though. So, the question becomes how much risk to take in choosing upsets....
Love it!!!
That's a great system.

Is that common in these bracket contests?
We use some kind of tourney software that lets you customize the scoring. It's common to score the games themselves at a 1,2,4, 8 .. points each as you go through the rounds but that puts too much weight on the later games, I feel. We experimented and came up with a Fibonacci sequence 2,3,5,8 ... to score the games as you work through the rounds.
Then you get a bonus equal to the seed number X the round level. So, for example, should St. Mary's (level 10) win their next game (round 3), I will get 30 bonus points.

The game I enter where you pick one at each seed level provides a similar weighting for seed over and above the basic scoring for getting wins. But his seed bonus is (17 - opponent's seed level) with no weighting for round. So if Duke (seed 1) beats a 16 seed team you get 1 bonus point. Later, when Duke beats tougher teams your bonus increases. But there is no advantage to having St. Mary's beat a level 4 team over Duke beating a level 4 team. The advantage in choosing an underdog like St. Mary's is that they will accrue bonus in the earlier round by virtue of having tougher opponents. (i.e. St. Mary's beating Villanova in round 2 yields 15 bonus points. Duke beating California in round 2, only 9)

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Mark,

Your point about choosing the favourite bracket. It's true that this has the greatest odds of yielding the best bracket. That is, of all bracket possibilities that one has the greatest possibility of being correct. However, even in a straight scoring contest, say, most picks correct, that bracket might not be your best choice.

Here is why. There are actually 2 exp 63 bracket possibilities or 9223372036854775808 bracket combinations possible (over 9 quintillion or 9 billion billion). So you can see that while the odds that the favourites bracket will be correct is greater than other brackets, these odds are still infinitesimally small. Depending on the number of entries in the pool, a large number of possible outcomes will allow your entry to win, and the probabilities of the outcomes that give you the most picks correct have to be summed to determine your probability of winning. So, for example, if you have picked an outlier (say Cornell) to be champion, and you are the only one to have picked Cornell, then your probability of winning increases because many possible outcomes (there are 9 quintillion / 64 of them) will allow you to win. Similarly, if you had picked Kansas and a million other people also picked Kansas to win, then other game picks start to factor down the number of outcomes that will yield success for your bracket. And if you picked favourites throughout, then with other entries also picking favourites the possibilities start to narrow. In short, the probability of your bracket winning depends also on the other brackets entered in the pool. In reality, in a very very large pool like the ESPN pool with millions of brackets, a bracket choosing Cornell as champion might have much greater probability of winning than a bracket choosing Kansas. In our contest, with 89 entries, you would have a relatively low probability of success compared to choosing a more successful team. At the same time, your probability of winning might still be much higher with Syracuse or a '2' seed than with Kansas.

Here's another illustration. You're in a contest with 5 people. You, along with other contestants, have to predict the number of heads that will turn up in 100 coin tosses. Whoever is closest wins the contest. You know that a guess of '50' has the highest probability of success. Now if you know (or guess) that the other guesses will be numbers like 48, 46, 50 and 55, without knowing the exact choices, you might be better to pick an outlier like 60 or 40 than to pick 52 or 49 since more outcomes will make you the winner. (It's a great advantage in this kind of contest, like guessing someone's age or weight, or the total score of a game, to be the last to guess).
Last edited by slofstra on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

slofstra wrote:
MarkC wrote:.....and here's something else maybe to buoy the Big Red (I could not believe this).......
On a site called Kentucky Sports Network, there's actually a page titled, "KEYS TO VICTORY VS. CORNELL.".....
You're closer to it than I am, Mark, but are they one of the teams people love to hate? Like the Yankees? Duke exposes a similar animus in people, for sure. Whereas North Carolina does not, at least I don't think so.
No no.......I guess it wasn't as clear as I thought (or more like not at all). Sorry!

I didn't mean anything about Kentucky (which I don't think is particularly one of those schools people 'love to hate'). All I meant was that Cornell usually isn't regarded as a team to worry about -- and now look.

I would have thought that even with how Cornell is going, it would never enter the Kentuckians' minds to think of "how" to beat Cornell.

P.S. Thanks for explaining those contest systems. Regarding my idea of doing best just by picking the favorite for each game, you might think this is dumb (and indeed it is) :) but I wasn't thinking there was any special weight on picking the overall winner!! (d'oh!)
I was thinking just of picking the most games correctly.
Last edited by MarkC on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:44 pm

MarkC wrote:
slofstra wrote:
On a site called Kentucky Sports Network, there's actually a page titled, "KEYS TO VICTORY VS. CORNELL.".....
No no.......I guess it wasn't as clear as I thought (or more like not at all). Sorry!

I didn't mean anything about Kentucky (which I don't think is particularly one of those schools people 'love to hate'). All I meant was that Cornell usually isn't regarded as a team to worry about -- and now look.

I would have thought that even with how Cornell is going, it would never enter the Kentuckians' minds to think of "how" to beat Cornell.
Oh yeah, I got that out of it. But didn't you also say that 50% of the Carrier Dome fans won't be rooting for Kentucky. BTW, I said or meant 'teams' not 'schools' since there is a subtle difference.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

slofstra wrote:.........didn't you also say that 50% of the Carrier Dome fans won't be rooting for Kentucky. BTW, I said or meant 'teams' not 'schools' since there is a subtle difference.
Oh OK........I guess that's another thing that I thought was clear but wasn't.

The reason that the Carrier Dome fans won't be anywhere close to 50-50 is that Syracuse is just a stone's throw from Ithaca/Cornell (about an hour drive), and so billions and billions of people from Ithaca will be there......plus, Syracuse and Cornell feel some allegiance for each other because of the proximity, and so the Syracuse people themselves will also be heavily pro-Cornell. Sure, a lot of Kentuckians will make the trip -- but it won't be anywhere close to 50-50.

I expect it to be about as pro-Cornell as Yankee Stadium is pro-Yankee for a Yankee-Red Sox game -- literally. There are a goodly number of Boston fans who make it to the Stadium, but the crowd is still very heavily pro-Yankee.

BTW.....please see the edit of my above post. I added some about your other posts.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm

P.S. Thanks for explaining those contest systems. Regarding my idea of doing best just by picking the favorite for each game, you might think this is dumb (and indeed it is) :) but I wasn't thinking there was any special weight on picking the overall winner!! (d'oh!)
I was thinking just of picking the most games correctly.
In the scenario I described there isn't any special weight on picking the overall winner. One point per correct pick, simple as you can get. You need to consider where the other entries will go in order to maximize your chances of success. Those chances are not maximized by choosing favourites.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:17 pm

MarkC wrote:
slofstra wrote:.........didn't you also say that 50% of the Carrier Dome fans won't be rooting for Kentucky. BTW, I said or meant 'teams' not 'schools' since there is a subtle difference.
Oh OK........I guess that's another thing that I thought was clear but wasn't.

The reason that the Carrier Dome fans won't be anywhere close to 50-50 is that Syracuse is just a stone's throw from Ithaca/Cornell (about an hour drive), and so billions and billions of people from Ithaca will be there......plus, Syracuse and Cornell feel some allegiance for each other because of the proximity, and so the Syracuse people themselves will also be heavily pro-Cornell. Sure, a lot of Kentuckians will make the trip -- but it won't be anywhere close to 50-50.

I expect it to be about as pro-Cornell as Yankee Stadium is pro-Yankee for a Yankee-Red Sox game -- literally. There are a goodly number of Boston fans who make it to the Stadium, but the crowd is still very heavily pro-Yankee.

BTW.....please see the edit of my above post. I added some about your other posts.
I've been in that situation. Each of 4 teams will have a large block of tickets in the lower section, but the upper decks tend to be scalped or resold to fans of the close or closer teams.
I understood that.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:23 pm

slofstra wrote:.....In the scenario I described there isn't any special weight on picking the overall winner. One point per correct pick, simple as you can get.....
Then I''m back to not getting it. :)
You don't need to explain it further -- I think I still won't get it. :lol:

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I hope Duke wins, or at least gets to the final four, for very personal reasons. A great coach, student-athletes, a wonderful campus and a very highly regarded academic program. What more could you desire for a final four contender? 8)

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

MarkC wrote:
slofstra wrote:.....In the scenario I described there isn't any special weight on picking the overall winner. One point per correct pick, simple as you can get.....
Then I''m back to not getting it. :)
You don't need to explain it further -- I think I still won't get it. :lol:
If you re-read my post carefully you may get the reasoning. But the bottom line is that just picking the top seed as winner is not necessarily a good strategy even when the scoring is not loaded to favour upsets.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

stenka razin wrote:I hope Duke wins, or at least gets to the final four, for very personal reasons. A great coach, student-athletes, a wonderful campus and a very highly regarded academic program. What more could you desire for a final four contender? 8)

Uh, that it not be Duke. :lol: :lol:

Actually I did pick them in my bracket. I would pick UNC over Duke if UNC was in this year. A great rivalry between those two teams. My sentimental choice is Syracuse. They have a lot of fans in Ontario, Canada. A number of Canadians have played for the team over the years, including Andy Rautins at the present time. And I know a number of people who have seen games in the Carrier Dome although I'm not one. I didn't pick them though because I didn't think they'd get to the final. Possible now that Kansas is gone.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Okay, who has my MSU Spartans advancing to the Elite Eight. :mrgreen:

With Lucas's Achilles, Roe and his meniscus, and Allen with his arch; WE may end up being the underdogs against Northern Iowa!

Congrats to Cornell, as well as St. Mary's and the 11th seeded Washington Huskies. This is a great tournament!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:42 pm

moldyoldie wrote:Okay, who has my MSU Spartans advancing to the Elite Eight. :mrgreen:

With Lucas's Achilles, Roe and his meniscus, and Allen with his arch; WE may end up being the underdogs against Northern Iowa!

Congrats to Cornell, as well as St. Mary's and the 11th seeded Washington Huskies. This is a great tournament!
Having watched the Kansas-Northern Iowa game I am left with the belief that this will be a close game and would give the edge to Northern Iowa due to the injury to Lucas.

Certainly has been a great tournament thus far! :)

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 am

MarkC:

Sorry to see the loss of Cornell tonight. I was hoping for an upset. :(

The best game I witnessed this evening was of Kansas State winning in double overtime against Xavier. Very well played and came down to the end.