Sergey Lemeshev

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Steinway

Sergey Lemeshev

Post by Steinway » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I was listening on YouTube to some versions of the aria Kuda Kuda from Onegin and discovered a magnificent singer who was unknown to me, a tenor from Russia by the name of Sergey Lemeshev.

He appears on YouTube singing a number of arias and completely astonished me with his vocal skills.

What an unexpected treat to find this gem.

Anyone who doesn't know him should take the time to listen to him.

John F

Re: Sergey Lemeshev

Post by John F » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Lemeshev was indeed an outstanding tenor, and he recorded quite a few complete operas for the Soviet national recording company. One of these is "Eugene Onegin," and its outstanding cast includes Galina Vishnevskaya as Tatiana, Eugene Belov as Onegin, Ivan Petrov as Gremin, and forces of the Bolshoi Opera conducted by Boris Khaikin. I haven't heard a recording or performance of the opera to equal this, and it's available from amazon.com on at least two labels for a very low price.
John Francis

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:57 pm

John F wrote:Lemeshev was indeed an outstanding tenor, and he recorded quite a few complete operas for the Soviet national recording company. One of these is "Eugene Onegin," and its outstanding cast includes Galina Vishnevskaya as Tatiana, Eugene Belov as Onegin, Ivan Petrov as Gremin, and forces of the Bolshoi Opera conducted by Boris Khaikin. I haven't heard a recording or performance of the opera to equal this, and it's available from amazon.com on at least two labels for a very low price.

I second John's recommendation. :D :D :D :D

Regards,
Mel 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 am

I certainly aware of the great voice of Lemeshev. I don't believe I have anything of him on compact disc, however, just LP. What CDs would you recommend?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:16 am

I have very few CDs and none of old-school Russian opera recordings. Instead there are row on row of export Melodiya LP sets. He's in a very good Bolshoi "Prince Igor" from the early '50s but that's an opera for the lower voices and the tenor role isn't very big. While I was at it, I picked up some standard repertoire, including "La Boheme" (in Russian) which is on CD, with Lemeshev and Lisitsian but the sopranos rather spoil it. Lemeshev made many LPs of songs, but I don't remember which I have (I'm not at home just now) or whether I liked them. Also LPs of opera arias and selections which I didn't get.
John Francis