LISZT's violin/piano music: EXCEPTIONAL! *****

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

LISZT's violin/piano music: EXCEPTIONAL! *****

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Franz Liszt (1811-1886)
Music for Violin and Piano
Naxos 8.573145, 70:01, DDD
VOYTEK PRONIEWICZ, violin
WOJCIECH WALECZEK, piano
(Recorded Warsaw, Poland 2013)

•Duo Sonata (sur des thèmes polonais) (c.1832-1835) [22:04]
•Epithalam zu Eduard Reméenyi Vermählungfeier (1872) [4:38]
•Die drei Zigeuner (1864) [10:07]
•Elegie No. 1 (1876) [5:36]
•Elegie No. 2 (1878) [4:56]
•Valse-Impromptu (1850-1852, rev. 1880) (Arr. J. Hubay) [6:38]
•Grand duo concertant sur la Romance de M. Lafont 'Le marin' (1835) [15:30]

We all know, the Naxos label has an extraordinary catalogue of music available with much of it outstanding artistically. According to the Naxos tray-back note: "Franz Liszt wrote relatively little chamber music in his long and illustrious career. The Duo Sonata is a tribute to Chopin, drawing on one of his famous Mazurkas as well as other Polish themes. The gracefully charming Epithalam was Liszt's wedding present to the great violinist Eduard Reményi, for whom the gipsy style of Die drei Zigeuner was also intended. The two lyrical Elegies commemorate the passing of members of Liszt's circle, while the demandingly virtuoso variations of the Grand Duo concertant make no concessions to either player."

Over the years I have collected as much of Liszt's chamber music as I could find. I am continually fascinated by the genius of the great Hungarian. The present recital is one of the most astounding and well recorded of any I have ever heard. Not knowing either the violinist or pianist, this co-artist pairing is incomparable. The balance between the violin and piano is exceptional, vivid, clear, and staggering. No doubt the acoustics Witold Lutoslawski Concert Studio of the Polish Radio in Warsaw added substantially to the quality of this recording. After hearing the over 70-minute disc, I was clammoring for more. Having visited Poland a couple of years ago, particularly Warsaw, I want to go back!

Add this disc to your catalogue of wants. You will have a feast of great playing that stays with one long after hearing it. This is NOT unsubtantial music by any stroke of the imagination. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Seán

Re: LISZT's violin/piano music: EXCEPTIONAL! *****

Post by Seán » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

That's a new one on me, I do not have any of Liszt's chamber music in my collection, thanks Lance.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Seán, it is so good to see you here! I hope you are still catching my programs, as late as they are for you. It's comforting to know that you are listening, hopefully others, out in Ireland! Hope all is well with you and the family and that are prepared to enjoy a wonderful holiday season.
Seán wrote:That's a new one on me, I do not have any of Liszt's chamber music in my collection, thanks Lance.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Seán

Post by Seán » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Lance wrote:Seán, it is so good to see you here! I hope you are still catching my programs, as late as they are for you. It's comforting to know that you are listening, hopefully others, out in Ireland! Hope all is well with you and the family and that are prepared to enjoy a wonderful holiday season.
Seán wrote:That's a new one on me, I do not have any of Liszt's chamber music in my collection, thanks Lance.
Indeed I do Lance and I am usually tired on Sunday's as a result, I really do enjoy your broadcasts, yours is one of the best program's on radio, keep up the good work. I missed last night's though. :(

My family are thriving thank you, and are looking forward to the Christmas break too.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler