What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Lance » Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 pm

I almost hate to say! It's a lot.

•RCA 12-CD set: Ormandy conducting Tchaikovsky (all symphonies, concerti, overtures, etc.)
•Sony 10-CD set: Helmut Rilling conducting J. S. Bach's Great Sacred Choral Works
•Varese-Sarabande: Nim's Island (complete soundtrack) [Yes, and I love it even though different fare for me!]
•Sony - many CDs of the piano-duo Tal & Groethuysen
•Membran/CCCO 4-CD set: of tenor Franco Bonisolli
•Decca: "L'Amour" w/Juan Diego Flórez, tenor
•DGG: Mozart Piano Concertos 20/25 w/Argerich, C. Abbado, conductor
•Decca: 'Amore" with Joseph Calleja, tenor
•Hyperion 2-CD set: Brahms Piano Concertos 1/2 w/Stephen Hough, piano
•Hyperion: Anton Rubinstein: Piano Quartets in F and C, opp. 53/66 with Leslie Howard, piano (Op. 55 after the wind quintet, Op. 55 (first recording with strings & Op. 66 gets its first-ever recording
•Musical Concepts: "Russian Gems" with Sandro Russo, piano (outstanding!)
•Acte Prealable: Piano music of Joseph Christoph Kessler (1800-1872) (24 Preludes, 12 Etudes)
•Bene Arte: "Russian Treasures" w/Tenebrae, Nigel Short, director
•RCA: Liszt: Piano Concertos 1/2; Totentanz; w/Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev, conductor - includes solo pieces Orpheus and Héroïde funèbre all performed by Denis Matsuev (an incredibly fine pianist)
•Hyperion: "In the Night" w/Stephen Hough, piano [very low-level recording, disappointing sound, rare for Hyperion]
It includes Schumann's Carnaval, Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata; two Chopin Nocturnes; Hough's Second Piano Sonata, etc.
•Decca 15-CD box: The Concertgebouw Recordings, Willem Mengelberg, conductor
•EMI/Warner Icon 8-CD set: Annie Fischer, piano (Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Liszt, Schubert, Bartók)
•RCA 6-CD set: John Ogdon, piano - "The Complete RCA Album Collection" (includes Alkan, Nielsen, Beethoven, etc.)
•EMI/Warner Icon 18-CD set: "Sir Malcolm Sargent - The Great Recordings" (fabulous collection!)

... and so on. These have come in over the last few months. Lots of great listening! I hope I have whetted some musical appetites!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Lance wrote:I almost hate to say! It's a lot.

•RCA 12-CD set: Ormandy conducting Tchaikovsky (all symphonies, concerti, overtures, etc.)
•Sony 10-CD set: Helmut Rilling conducting J. S. Bach's Great Sacred Choral Works
•Varese-Sarabande: Nim's Island (complete soundtrack) [Yes, and I love it even though different fare for me!]
•Hyperion: Anton Rubinstein: Piano Quartets in F and C, opp. 53/66 with Leslie Howard, piano (Op. 55 after the wind quintet, Op. 55 (first recording with strings & Op. 66 gets its first-ever recording
•Acte Prealable: Piano music of Joseph Christoph Kessler (1800-1872) (24 Preludes, 12 Etudes)
•RCA: Liszt: Piano Concertos 1/2; Totentanz; w/Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev, conductor - includes solo pieces Orpheus and Héroïde funèbre all performed by Denis Matsuev (an incredibly fine pianist)
•Hyperion: "In the Night" w/Stephen Hough, piano [very low-level recording, disappointing sound, rare for Hyperion]
It includes Schumann's Carnaval, Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata; two Chopin Nocturnes; Hough's Second Piano Sonata, etc.
•EMI/Warner Icon 8-CD set: Annie Fischer, piano (Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Liszt, Schubert, Bartók)
•RCA 6-CD set: John Ogdon, piano - "The Complete RCA Album Collection" (includes Alkan, Nielsen, Beethoven, etc.)
•EMI/Warner Icon 18-CD set: "Sir Malcolm Sargent - The Great Recordings" (fabulous collection!)

... and so on. These have come in over the last few months. Lots of great listening! I hope I have whetted some musical appetites!
Wow! You've impressed me, Lance! :D

When are you getting the foundations for your house reinforced? :mrgreen:

I'm particularly happy to see the Malcolm Sargent box on your list. He's a vastly underappreciated artist outside of the British Isles, and a fine conductor. I didn't know of this release: I'm off to Amazon to pick it up posthaste!

One of Sargent's finest discs is the EMI release of Prokofiev's Symphony Concertante and Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto with Rostropovich (1959), a disc I've admired deeply since my teenage years.

I see you're doing a series of shows on Sargent: well done!

Seán

Post by Seán » Sun May 11, 2014 4:59 am

Lance wrote:I almost hate to say! It's a lot.

Gosh Lance, that's a great collection, well done, I hope that you get plenty of time to enjoy them.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

nosreme

Post by nosreme » Sun May 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Scott Ross' complete Couperin and Rameau harpsichord recordings.

Veldhoeven/NL Bach Society's JSB Magnificat & Cantata 110.

A couple of more or less complete CPE Bach boxes (Hogwood & somebody else)

Fricsay/BPO Beethoven Ninth (not sure who might still have my original copy)

Big boxes: RCA Living Stereo 1 & 2; George Szell box from Korea; Murray Perahia; Reiner

JE Gardiner's JSB Ascension & Easter Oratorios

Suzuki & son & Musicum Collegium Japan's new JSB double keyboard concertos

Latest Tahra remastering of Furtwangler's 1954 Beethoven Ninth

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 pm

I didn't know this live recording existed until recently: it's superb. The other is from an appearance in London recorded by the BBC on BBC live, which has tape-stretch issues at the end of the fourth movement. This release has no such problem.

Both versions are essential, as the interpretations are quite different in subtle ways.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 16, 2014 11:44 am

For those who like Bach on the piano, this is a five-star release. Minnaar chooses among the best of other composers' works inspired by Bach: gifted to me recently, this is one of the finest new discs of the year so far. Highly recommended.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Honeck/Pittsburgh: Strauss Tone Poems

It's not HVK/Berlin, but this disc is very satisfying. Honeck is an outstanding orchestra builder and teacher, and while Mahler was a bit beyond Pittsburgh's capabilities, the three works on this disc (Don Juan, Tod und Verklarung, Til Eulenspiegel) are enthusiastically and excitingly played. Honeck is a rising star: watch out for him. There's wonderful things happening in Pittsburgh!

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 pm

maestrob wrote:Honeck/Pittsburgh: Strauss Tone Poems

It's not HVK/Berlin, but this disc is very satisfying. Honeck is an outstanding orchestra builder and teacher, and while Mahler was a bit beyond Pittsburgh's capabilities, the three works on this disc (Don Juan, Tod und Verklarung, Til Eulenspiegel) are enthusiastically and excitingly played. Honeck is a rising star: watch out for him. There's wonderful things happening in Pittsburgh!

I read this just as a Public Radio broadcast from Pittsburgh I was listening to was finishing with the Pittsburgh Symphony's performance (from Barcelona, Spain) of the Mahler 2nd under Honeck. I am fortunate to have attended several of Honeck's Pittsburgh concerts (including performances of two of my favorite works: Beethoven's Ninth, Shostakovich's Fifth) and I heartily agree with your assessment about "wonderful things happening" under his baton.

scififan

Post by scififan » Mon May 19, 2014 11:03 am

Dvořák: Four-Hand Piano Music Vol.2: Slavonic Dances Opp 46 and 72 Played by Christian Köhn & Silke-Thora Matthies. (Naxos 8.553138}. I found I quite enjoyed this CD which is played with enthusiasm.

piston

Post by piston » Wed May 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I have ordered the first two symphonies by M. Weinberg, which the old Olympia label never had time to issue:

In the same wartime series from Northern Flowers, I also ordered the Mossolov CD:

And I'm getting a few more Boris Tchaikovsky CDs:
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

alan c. davis

Post by alan c. davis » Sat May 24, 2014 1:07 am

The "Naive" the Vivaldi Edition Operas 01 big box arrived a week ago and it's been a wonderful listen. Ordered the 70 cd Horowitz Original Jackets box from Amazon.de last night for 99EU plus shipping so will excitedly be looking forward to receiving that in a week or two, a late birthday present for myself.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Very fine music and well-conducted. Recommended!

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 am

I had a big day due to visits from the postman and DHL.
Got the Karajan complete 60s set from UK Amazon and the new L'oiseau Lyre box (mostly Hogwood) from Amazon Germany. Should keep me busy for a while :D
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks to Chalkie for recommending this pianist. Highly recommended: she has the magic touch and an excellent feel for Bach. Her double disc set of the six Partitas is also excellent. Bravo!

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 pm

You have to love Gunar Letzbor for convincing Pan Classics to record this: anonymous XVII Century violin sonatas found in a convent in Austria. The works evince the influence of the school of Biber and Schmelzer, but they are very good and are superbly played.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat May 31, 2014 6:43 pm

And this too is going to be one of my favorite recordings of the year. Every new release with the Belgian group Les Muffatti is an event, and this magnificent work receives a glorious performance that just has to be heard to be believed. It´s exquisite.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:46 pm

With only slight traces of the wobble that plagued his career, this 1992 disc by Kollo (led by a young Thielemann) showcases interesting repertoire with the only recording I know of Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder by a tenor other than the superb Kaufmann. Highly recommended.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32 am

Nezet-Seguin's sharp-edged Schumann may not be for all, but I like it. This is thoroughly modern music-making, light & fleet-footed, with sharp turns and quick tempi. Exhilarating! Well-done, and carefully thought through, this is impressive thinking yet warms the heart.

Abaddo's #2 is traditionally how it should go, but Nezet-Seguin has established his own territory and his own rightness with this valuable release. It's a wild ride well worth taking!

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 am

This month saw the 25th anniversary of the death of the brilliant harpsichordist Scott Ross. Erato has just re-released (for the third or fourth time) Ross's landmark recording of the 555 sonatas of Domenico Scarlatti. The 34-CD set is available from Amazon resellers for less than $100. A sturdy box with each CD in a cardboard sleeve and a short booklet is supplemented by almost 200 pages of notes available online from Warner Classics. My advice: run, don't walk.

alan c. davis

Post by alan c. davis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:19 am

Found in the letterbox tonight the complete Solo Piano Works of Scriabin played by Maria Lettberg. Am listening to CD1 now. How has such wonderful music escaped me for so long?

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Lugansky & Nagano in a five-star rendition of Grieg and Prokofiev III. Very fine!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 am

The Buffalo Philharmonic plays outstandingly well under Falleta's direction. An outstanding disc: well worth acquiring even if you have another version of this neglected masterpiece.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am

I've taken a keen interest in the music of Ignaz Pleyel [1757-1831] ... hence more CDs!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:24 am

Recently acquired the new CLAUDIO ABBADO "Complete RCA and Sony Album Collection" (39 CDs on Sony Classical). Price was right and I have felt Abbado was among the finest conductors of recent years. Complete this and that ... it gets overwhelming sometimse, escpecially when there is duplicity/triplicity involved. With Abbado, get the "Decca Years" (7 CDs, Vienna Philharmonic) and the 41-CD set on DGG and you'll have quite a catalogue of great recordings in generally superior sound. Many people say "why complete?" Well, I guess, simply put, collectors do this, especially if they REALLY listen to everything. But then how much time is there to do that? I make the time as much as possible. Hearing great music is food for the soul nearly as much as food is for the body! (I'm justifying, I know.)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:33 pm

The Six Partitas are exquisitely performed here by Zhu Xiao-Mei: recommended highly for Bach piano enthusiasts!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Honeck and Mutter give an exciting account of Dvorak's Violin Concerto, Romance and other fillers. This does not replace my favorite recording of the concerto, played by Dvorak's descendant Joseph Suk on Supraphon, but it's a worthy competitor. Bravi tutti!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:44 pm

A superb disc, I had not heard CPE Bach's Magnificat before now. The piece was written as he was hoping to succeed in his father's position: he got the job. Outstanding repertoire! Released to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the composer's birth.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 pm

These are superb recordings of a great violinist, and at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 am

This is all excellent music from the late romantic period: strongly recommended, well-played and conducted. Be on the lookout for Volume 2 as well: very satisfying.

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi, Sean!

Zinman is one of my favorite underrated conductors. He's made some very fine recordings, both in Zurich and with Baltimore. Thanks for bringing this set to our attention: I'm sure you'll enjoy the contents.

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 am

maestrob wrote:Hi, Sean!

Zinman is one of my favorite underrated conductors. He's made some very fine recordings, both in Zurich and with Baltimore. Thanks for bringing this set to our attention: I'm sure you'll enjoy the contents.
Thanks maestro, I have yet to warm to his Mahler, having listneed to the Titan I am not too fond of it, they need more time, his Beethoven is very fine indeed.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:52 am

am intent on getting 2015 off to a great musical start:
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 am

I was inspired by Fergus to broaden my horizons and to buy this:

and my Mozart journey continues with:
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 pm

A lovely selection of cds arrived today and they should help to carry me through the deep, dark and dreary, dismal days of January.

Mozart.
Image Image

After buying Gardiner's 40 & 41 I just had to get this recording of (perhaps my favourite) the 29th:

John Field:

I have several versions of Dvorák's late symphonies. They are by Szell, Giulini, Jansons and a few by Kubelik. Alas until now I didn't have any recordings of performances of the first five symphonies. I have deliberated, and dithered for too long over this and so finally I bought a set that young Fergus recommended to me some time ago:
Seán

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:18 pm

These are exquisite renderings of Beethoven's Piano Concerti, and available for currently a very reasonable price on Amazon. Leif Ove Andsnes plays and conducts the Mahler Chamber Orchestra from the keyboard, and at no time does he lose control of the fabric of the music, using Beethoven's own cadenzas. A remarkable journey, and highly recommended!

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:16 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

These are exquisite renderings of Beethoven's Piano Concerti, and available for currently a very reasonable price on Amazon. Leif Ove Andsnes plays and conducts the Mahler Chamber Orchestra from the keyboard, and at no time does he lose control of the fabric of the music, using Beethoven's own cadenzas. A remarkable journey, and highly recommended!
Duly noted thank you maestrob.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Mozart:

Oh dear, a duplicate purchase as this contains the Bassoon and Clarinet Concertos that are on earlier purchases, never mind, it only cost me £0.01 +p&p
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:28 pm

More Mozart:

Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Well I have tried to supplement my meagre Mozart collection of symphonic recordings for some time now. I had considered getting the Harnocourt first 25 symphony set (but it is not complete so I haven't). I have listened to excerpts of the the Adam Fischer & Danish National Chamber Orchestra complete cycle but have yet to be convinced by it. I checked out the Pinnock and Böhm box sets but wasn't convinced by either of them. Böhm is marvellous in the later works but not in the earlier recordings, not for now anyway.

Seán

Kate_C.

Why Bank of America Loves Me & Other Sundry Tales...

Post by Kate_C. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:43 am

The snow and ice have passed my little corner of Appalachia, but even in 4-low the 4Runner won't make it off the mountain tonight. So, it's as good a time as any to confess my latest fiscal sins. Like the ruble, my New Year's resolve (dissolve) to remediate 2014's borderline reckless music-related spending has suffered severe devaluation in the face of market exigencies.

But, while Putin can point to the Machiavellian vagaries of the global crude trade, I've only my less-than-al dente willpower to blame (well, that and John Fowler's cursedly seductive Amazon reviews!). When GD Productions and Rhino failed to announce a tasty, 50th anniversary, big box release within a reasonable period after my NYE hangover finally checked out, I promptly spent over half the funds I'd reserved for that very event on a spread of classical releases I've been eying for some time, specifically: the 2013 EMI Klemperer box sets (11 of 12, that is, because "Concertos..." is currently o/o stock, at least on Amazon) and the Reiner/CSO complete RCA album collection.

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached", but the following links are pretty much flush:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... %2Cpopular

http://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Reiner--Com ... rds=reiner

Hopefully puppy and I can hit the trails tomorrow - it's been 2 days without a run (or a swim - pool's closed too) and we're both a bit spastic at this point!/g'night, Kate

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Why Bank of America Loves Me & Other Sundry Tales...

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:34 am

Kate ... welcome to our little corner of the world. Where I am, it has hit ten below zero. We're not liking it but perhaps it allows some extra time to delve into recordings and take much pleasure in them.

We are DELIGHTED to have you on CMG and trust you will be a regular visitor to our site. Thank you for joining, and have some fun here.

Kate_C. wrote:The snow and ice have passed my little corner of Appalachia, but even in 4-low the 4Runner won't make it off the mountain tonight. So, it's as good a time as any to confess my latest fiscal sins. Like the ruble, my New Year's resolve (dissolve) to remediate 2014's borderline reckless music-related spending has suffered severe devaluation in the face of market exigencies.

But, while Putin can point to the Machiavellian vagaries of the global crude trade, I've only my less-than-al dente willpower to blame (well, that and John Fowler's cursedly seductive Amazon reviews!). When GD Productions and Rhino failed to announce a tasty, 50th anniversary, big box release within a reasonable period after my NYE hangover finally checked out, I promptly spent over half the funds I'd reserved for that very event on a spread of classical releases I've been eying for some time, specifically: the 2013 EMI Klemperer box sets (11 of 12, that is, because "Concertos..." is currently o/o stock, at least on Amazon) and the Reiner/CSO complete RCA album collection.

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached", but the following links are pretty much flush:

Hopefully puppy and I can hit the trails tomorrow - it's been 2 days without a run (or a swim - pool's closed too) and we're both a bit spastic at this point!/g'night, Kate
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Why Bank of America Loves Me & Other Sundry Tales...

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:35 am

By the way Kate, if you are checking out mega-boxes, be sure to look into the PIERRE MONTEUX one on RCA. It's priceless, as is the Reiner box.
Lance wrote:Kate ... welcome to our little corner of the world. Where I am, it has hit ten below zero. We're not liking it but perhaps it allows some extra time to delve into recordings and take much pleasure in them.

We are DELIGHTED to have you on CMG and trust you will be a regular visitor to our site. Thank you for joining, and have some fun here.

Kate_C. wrote:The snow and ice have passed my little corner of Appalachia, but even in 4-low the 4Runner won't make it off the mountain tonight. So, it's as good a time as any to confess my latest fiscal sins. Like the ruble, my New Year's resolve (dissolve) to remediate 2014's borderline reckless music-related spending has suffered severe devaluation in the face of market exigencies.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Kate_C.

Post by Kate_C. » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 am

Lance! Thanks not only for the lovely and immediate welcome, but expedited processing of my registration as well!

If great minds occupy similar orbits, then I'll consider myself elevated for having contemplated purchase of the Monteaux box prior to your recco. I'm not much for the formality of introductory threads, but context is helpful, so let me say here that after finishing the wholly anticlimatic academic experience of law school about 5 yrs. ago (in D.C.), I migrated as far from the East Coast as possible (culturally, that is), which landed me in the Dark Heart of Appalachia (I adore Conrad), where the sheer contrast with my Yankee (Mass.) upbringing prompted me to buy a house and settle in with my Red State, Bible toting, gun wielding, ATV riding, pot raising, and coal mining, but otherwise fanatically patriotic and personally (ferociously) loyal mountain neighbors.

For a couple years prior to November 2013, I listened exclusively to the Grateful Dead while building an estimable collection comprising the near-complete massive commercial catalogue (I can do w/o a couple of the studio, 80's, and 90's releases). Yet, at that terminus, I began searching for a musical alternative that would yield the same sort of profound satisfaction achieved by listening to the Dead's uniquely diverse and improvisatory brand (or, "jazz idom with a rock syntax" as the incomparable GD historian Blair Jackson would put it). Thus - recalling the words of my 8th grade lit prof. that Shakespeare and Classical Music are largely wasted on anyone under 30 - I ventured into the veritable cosmos of commercially available Classical performances (are there bootlegs?).

I quickly realized, by reading reviews, blogs, and posts on reputable site like CMG, that we live in extraordinary times for the bulk acquisition of excellent Classical recordings, though that adverb seems inappropriately crude when referring to the genre!

Still, it's largely accurate, and I suspect that the advent of inexpensive CD box sets from traditional behemoths in the recording and production business likely reflects - in part, at least - the industry's recognition of physical media's demise among my peers and most certainly in the next wave of potential consumers now occupied with Barbies and kickball (do kids still go outside?). Yet, the phenomenon also provides amateur collectors and the newly initiated an opportunity to economically acquire compilations of esteemed releases that veteran collectors have worked decades to amass.

So, about 15 months ago, I jumped into the deep end with DG's 50-CD Berlin Philharmonic Centenary Edition box and must say that, despite subsequently purchasing an array of fantastic sets based on that release's sampling - to include Tosca's RCA; Furtwangler's Legacy; Walter's Edition; Arkive's '47-'13;HVK '38-'60; Masterworks Heritage; and Phillps Orginal Jackets - this remains my desert island selection on any given day (the Furtwangler Legacy collection is a staggering release itself, but that's another post!).

Wow! I just realized how inexcusably and unnecessarily long this protracted response has become....continuance would require I issue Ritalin-Meth cocktails to stave off catatonia among readers (again, my neighbors could likely help with that brew). Anyway, I'm pleased to be part of a community populated by so many accomplished, intelligent, and articulate Classical aficionados (I've been reading y'all for a bit now)./peace, Kate
Last edited by Kate_C. on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:15 am

Kate:

May I also welcome you to our happy online abode! Delighted that YOU are as fascinated as we all are with classical music. I look forward to sharing your journey into the universe we all love. As you've been reading us, I won't venture my already imprinted opinions here, beyond saying that I'm (like you) looking forward to collecting the Reiner and Bernstein sets, even while owning much of the contents in single editions, having grown up with same on LP.

This is indeed a glorious time for collectors, but I am not quite so convinced of the demise of the CD: Paper backs have merely supplemented hardcover books, and TV did not put the movie theatres out of business. Sure, there will evolve more electronic ways to sell and listen to music, but I see these as a positive force, as the urge to collect something physical that we own is strong.

Welcome aboard, and I look forward to commiserating with you further. :)

PS: I have a niece named Kate(lyn), whom I adore.

This morning I am listening to Edward Gardiner's new release of Mendelssohn in Birmingham: Symphonies I & III, plus the Ruy Blas Overture. Well done, indeed! Later on, Gunter Wand's Bruckner IX: we're all German today!

Kate_C.

Post by Kate_C. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:05 pm

:D Thanks so much, mb!

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist

Post by jbuck919 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:42 pm

I never come to this thread (not a criticism of it--I just don't), but I wanted to welcome Kate to CMG. Hope we see your posts often!

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Kate_C.

Gratitude

Post by Kate_C. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks so much JB!

Good heavens, it's already Saturday! Yet, with the snow pack, the trail is out of the question until Sunday (rain and 40F+), so an early wake up isn't imperative as I can straggle into the pool at anytime...anyway, the comfortable numbness of too many Sam Adams's Cold Snap on a chilly Friday and my warm CMG welcome are sufficient inducement to a profitably late Saturday morning slumber./peace, K

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:46 am

Kate ... loved your response to my post. Many of us here are veteran collectors starting out with LPs (me when I was 17). I amassed about 70,000 of them over the years, and now have that many CDs. I try to sneak them into the house (of course) and watch for the mailman and the UPS man (sometimes FEDEX). You will, no doubt, see - and I think you already have - the value of music in life. It's inspirational, intoxicating (in the best manner), and becomes highly addictive. It sounds like you are one of the lucky collectors who have jumped on the mega-box scene, and you shan't be sorry! I have no inclination for downloading music (I have on a couple of occasions), but want the physical product as so many of us here do. No matter how much we have, it's only lent to us for some duration, but what a joy to, even at this blessed hour of 2:45 a.m., to select anything your heart desires, and at any time during 24 hours. (It helps to be retired, but I'm busier than ever as a piano tuner/technician).

We are happy you are amongst us! Please enjoy our site. We do have a "pub" where other interests can be discussed, but I rarely venture there for obvious reasons! Occasionally we may endure some insults, but pay no attention.

Not only are you enjoying the finest music in the world, but, from what you write, you are enjoying your digs and environs, and great, protective neighbors. Maybe you can get some of THEM to join us here on CMG! :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

The Shostakovich VI on this disc represents a live concert, but you'd never know it until the applause at the end catches you by surprise. Jurowski leads an honest, electrifying performance, with everything in its right place. XIV presents more problems, not the least the sometimes excess vibrato of the soprano, but is a fine reading nonetheless, with Sergei Leiferkus as a seasoned but still fresh-sounding bass. An outstanding disc, I give it five stars.
Last edited by maestrob on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.