What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 am

Surprisingly, I haven't seen a post here about John Luther Adams's work Become Ocean, so just let me say that I enjoyed the sonorities of this intriguing music, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for 2014. The Seattle Symphony obviously put their hearts into the piece, balances are good, and there's even a bonus DVD. Recommended, and not just for those who are interested in new music. Ludovic Morlot conducts with passion and sensitivity.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 am

Yevgeny Sudbin has impressed me earlier in other recordings, but I found his choice of Scriabin and Medtner rarities to be both entertaining and intriguing for this release. Andrew Litton is the able accompanying conductor of the Bergen Philharmonic. Sensitive and emotional playing from the soloist turn these minor masterpieces into absorbing music, while Litton's thoughtful preparation holds them together well. A fine release. Four stars.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

Surprisingly, I haven't seen a post here about John Luther Adams's work Become Ocean, so just let me say that I enjoyed the sonorities of this intriguing music, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for 2014. The Seattle Symphony obviously put their hearts into the piece, balances are good, and there's even a bonus DVD. Recommended, and not just for those who are interested in new music. Ludovic Morlot conducts with passion and sensitivity.
I have that recording, but I've not yet listened.

This weekend, I started working on music for my church choir's Christmas concert : )

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:16 am

Malcolm Arnold, a successful British film composer, also wrote symphonies and ballet music in a very accessible manner, and this disc brings out some of his best music. Always listenable and in a very individual style, most of what's here is worth repeated attention, especially Elektra, which brings out the madness of the story. Hopefully, this worthy recording will not be overlooked by reviewers: ably conducted by Rumon Gamba, the BBC players pour their heart and soul into the music. Well done, all! If you like British music, you'll go for this in spades!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:18 pm

This is an interesting new release from Kirill Gerstein that will not be to everyone's taste. It received 5 stars from BBC Magazine, so I bought it on their recommendation. Gerstein's interpretation of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is very pianistic, very rhythmically free, so for those who want the piano to sound like an orchestra, I would recommend Rchter's 1958 Sofia take on this masterpiece, or certainly Horowitz in Carnegie Hall (available only in the complete set of his Carnegie Hall recital material). Gerstein knows exactly what he wants here, and he draws sounds and emotions from both the Mussorgsky and Schumann's Carnaval that draw the ear into a very personal sound world. I found it fascinating, and agree with BBC's recommendation. Five stars.

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:27 pm

I rather wish I had not bought this. The symphony performances are fine but no better than those on Harnoncourt's earlier set on Warner (at one-fourth the price); the two masses are fine, but do not displace Sawallisch or Gardiner, and Alfonso und Estrella proves Schubert was no opera composer. You do get a Blu-Ray disc with all the performances in 24-bit sound, a well as a download code for the entire set and a DVD with Harnoncourt in an interview. Then there is the box, the most over-engineered piece of packaging I have encountered. It sets a new standard for clumsiness, and of course will not fit on any standard CD shelving.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:22 am

Full disclosure: I have a personal interest in this CD, as the singer in question here (Robin Johannsen) was a contestant in my competition in 2001 in Carnegie Hall, appearing as a semifinalist. She never made it to the finals round, due to a conflict: She was invited to sing the Forest Bird at Bayreuth by Thielemann! Naturally, I was happy to release her, and am glad to report that she's had an outstanding career in Europe singing lighter roles ever since.

This is Johannsen's first solo CD, and it's a winner. Reviews are excellent. Antonio Caldara (1670-1736) was an outstanding composer of his day, producing 200 cantatas for the court at Cervetari (in Rome), then nearly 40 operas for the larger court at Vienna. Johannsen's voice is ideally suited to this repertoire, bright, fluid and infinitely flexible, she sparkles at all the right moments. Her conductor (Alessandro De Marchi) is sympathetic and enthusiastic, allowing the voice comfort without pushing her to strain on high notes. A well-done and well-received first outing: others will follow swiftly, I'm sure! Bravi tutti!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Vadym Kholodenko knows how to tease out the subtle and overlooked elements from even the most well played and well represented music, making it seem fresh and responsive to the listener, and here he does this again, in partnership with Miguel Harth-Bedoya and a trim Norweigian Radio Orchestra. Having heard Kholodenko perform the Greig live during two seperate performances, I was prepared for a slightly different interpretation each time he approaches the piece, but this is by far his most comtemplative effort and the extremely clear recording quality brings this into high definition. The folk melodies are uncovered and brought to center, and the adagio is sublime in contrast to difficult passages that seem like child's play in Kholodenko's hand.
His playing of the Saint-Saens Concerto No.2 is perhaps even more fresh, with an interesting back story, but suffice it to say that Kholodenko rose to a mighty challenge and tosses off another convincing reading of this important work. Those wondering why to add yet another version of these two well represented works would do well to simply proceed with the purchase - even if you have an old favorite that you feel 'defines' these pieces you owe it to yourself to see them under the musical microscope of Kholodenko and the NRO! You won't hear them the same way again after even a single listening.
-------Amazon.com

FYI: Kholodenko was a Gold Medal winner in the Van Cliburn Competition, and, IMHO, deserved it, judging by this recording. Spot on interpretation: both concerti are difficult to co-ordinate with the orchestra, and both soloist and conductor Miguel Harth-Bedoya do an excellent job here.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:50 am

Why Sir Simon chose to record this music is beyond me. The Piano Concerto, with Krystian Zimmerman, is a beautiful piece in an abstract sort of way, but the Second Symphony is just noise to my ears. The recording has 1 five-star review on Amazon, and got 5 stars from BBC Magazine. I feel cheated: only half the recording is worth listening to.

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:13 am

Okay, some people are really stupid -- I'm one of them. This is my 12th Ring recording. Why I waited so long is beyond me. Hotter in his prime is unbelievable; the young Windgassen is superb; Varnay equals any Brunnhilde, save perhaps Flagstad, and Krauss delivers an impassioned, driven performance.. This new edition on the Opera d'Oro label includes five booklets -- one for each opera with a new translation. The sound is perfectly acceptable early 1950 mono. All in a beautiful box from Amazon for 50 bucks. If you don't have it, don't hesitate.

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Why Sir Simon chose to record this music is beyond me. The Piano Concerto, with Krystian Zimmerman, is a beautiful piece in an abstract sort of way, but the Second Symphony is just noise to my ears. The recording has 1 five-star review on Amazon, and got 5 stars from BBC Magazine. I feel cheated: only half the recording is worth listening to.
Dear maestrob, I do not have many recordings by SSRattle. In 2008 I bought several CDs including a selection of Mahler performances by the great one. I returned all but three, two Mahler and a Bartok recording and I NEVER listen to them. Incidentally the Mahler recordings are Mahler 10 with the BPO and the Resurrection with the CBSO, both horribly overrated in my opinion.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:36 am

Sean:

I too have been disappointed by Sir Simon's Mahler. He tries hard, bet there's always something that I strongly disagree with......

For a superb recording by Rattle, I would suggest the following:

You can pick it up for .99, and it's well worth listening to.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 am

Trifonov is a hit! What a joy to hear the orchestra (Philadelphia) that premiered and recorded the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with Rachmaninoff (He spelled his name with 2 Fs, so I will too.) The solo pieces on the disc are played with both intelligence and flair, worthy of the famed composer himself, if he had ever recorded them. A stunning album, and great listening!

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:26 pm

maestrob wrote:Sean:

I too have been disappointed by Sir Simon's Mahler. He tries hard, bet there's always something that I strongly disagree with......
Yeah, his appalling Mahler interpretations turned me off him for good.
For a superb recording by Rattle, I would suggest the following:

You can pick it up for .99, and it's well worth listening to.
Eh, I'll pass on that one if you don't mind. :D
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:11 pm

I have a very strong desire to get more CDs of recordings of Mozart's music so I have started with this lot::

Harnoncourt conducting Mozart's Requiem:

Jos van Immerseel's complete set of Mozart recordings on Zig-Zag

Shlomo Mintz's recordings of the Violin Concertos, etc:

and last but by no means least Pepe's loves this set so much that I just had to get a copy for myself:
Seán

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:43 am

Marek Janowski makes even this bob-bon (the Symphonia Domestica) into listenable but still not great music. The real gem on this disc is the suite of four songs for male chorus and orchestra, Die Tageszeiten. These are beautiful, and expertly sung and conducted, well worth having. The Berlin Radio Symphony gives their all. Overall a fine disc.

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 pm

I have loved this work since first hearing the surprising historically-informed 1970 Archiv recording with Tatiana Trojans, Hermann Prey, et. al., conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. This more up-date performance casts some new light on Cavalieri's "proto-opera" of 1600. I am, however, still glad to have the Mackerras.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 am

This is an interesting release. It's not all beautiful music, but the playing is deeply felt and the repertoire is all completely new to me. Well-recorded, the sound growls when appropriate then floats in moments of strange beauty. For lovers of string sextet sound, this is a profound and fulfilling disc, well worth your attention.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:45 am

This is not Ann Hallenberg's first album, nor, thankfully, will it be her last! This is a voice with lots of color and flexibility, whose sense of impeccable style moves the heart. Arias from operas featuring the three historical characters of Agrippina are featured on one CD, with arias from Perti, Porpora, Graun, Orlandini, Handel, Telemann, Magni & others. A magnificent grouping. Five stars! Plaudits to Il pomo d'oro and their director, Riccardo Minasi, whose musicianship made this album possible.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:06 pm

A tip of the hat to Lance for this suggestion: a truly delightful recital disc. Loved it from start to finish: Kazunori Seo, on flute, and Makoto Ueno on piano are a perfect duo in this rare repertoire by Carl Czerny. Every note is played to perfction, with fine artistry and enthusiasm. Uplifting!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Myung-Whun Chung has long been one of my favorite under-appreciated conductors. Trained at Juilliard by Jean Morel, we share the same thinking about music, and Chung's recordings reflect that thinking. Equally at home in Messiaen, French opera and Nielsen, he has now embarked on a first-rate Mahler cycle with the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra, of which this Ninth is the latest installment. Recorded live, the orchestra plays at its peak: this may be the finest orchestra in Asia today. Complete on one disc, this Mahler IX is the first since Bruno Walter to convince me in almost every bar. Grab this while it's available: there are sublime moments here you will find nowhere else.

scififan

Post by scififan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:39 am

I downloaded the 1952 Haydn Society recording of the complete Beethoven String Quartets by the Vegh Quartet. They were available in good mono for the ridiculous price of 3.99 Euro! :o I have the celebrated 1972 stereo version but it should be interesting to contrast this earlier version. So far, I've only listened to the first two and there's no doubt but that the older recording is by younger men. They certainly play more quickly with more exuberance. I wonder, though, how the later quartets will fare. :?: But I am enjoying what I hear so far.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I like my Beethoven with rougher, more aggressive edges. Chung's Beethoven IX
was quite beautiful, but he lacked energy in crucial moments, especially the
opening of the final movement in the celli, and the recapitulation to the finale of the first
movement. What worked in the Mahler did not gel for me in his Beethoven. It's
not bad, but he's up against the greats. Still I give him four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Well, I expected more from the Hungarians, & I got it! This recording of Mahler IX leaves me with 4 1/2 stars, just because the kettle drums are muffled in the first movement, but the pacing is fine. Ivan Fischer has a clear understanding of how this great work should be played, and the recorded sound is magnificent. I'm deeply impressed with the last movement's tenderness and sense of farewell. This is not as impressive an achievement as with Chung's South Koreans, but it's fine nonetheless. Still, neither recording supplants Bruno Walter's deep authority with Mahler.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 pm

This is contemporary music that I've grown fond of, even on first listening. It's not noise, and it's decidedly not movie music. There's harmonic structure, there's rhythmic sense (yes, there are chimes and other luxury percussion), but it all fits into a respectable whole. Written for the NY Philharmonic, EXPO was the first piece on Alan Gilbert's inaugural concert as music director, while the virtuosic Piano Concerto No. 2 was performed later with Yefim Bronfman. Fine listening, and decidedly uplifting. Bravi tutti.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

This is a great performance, full of sensitive details. The sound is just right. Abbado is sensitive to Schubert's moods and leads a warm yet disciplined human performance.. Thank-you, maestro!

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:01 pm

This is a great performance, full of sensitive details. The sound is just right. Abbado is sensitive to Schubert's moods and leads a warm yet disciplined human performance.. Thank-you, maestro!
Hello sir, I listened to it on BBC Radio 3 a couple of months ago and it is enchanting, I love it. The GREAT man has left us a wonderful legacy for us to enjoy.
Seán

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Abbado has recorded Schubert IX at least 3 times TMK, and each is a great reading. This latest interpretation is a bit freer with rubati in appropriate places, thanks to a bit of extra rehearsal time, no doubt. A lovely disc, the maestro leaves us with perfect pacing and balance. A worthy rendition: I give it five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Ingrid Fliter was born to play Chopin, as this release attests in spades. Conductor Jun Markl is an accurate, sensitive and sympathetic accompanist, with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra having the exact right lightness of touch to go with Fliter's superb phrasing. I am totally enamoured of this recording, it's simply the best version of the two concerti I've heard, and that includes Rubinstein & Novaes, of course. Every note has meaning and is in its rightful place with the right color and shape. Outstanding!

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Forty years after their debut, the Tallis Scholars seem to go from strength to strength. This latest recording IMO is one of their very finest.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Not just a new recording of Messiah, but a very special one. Superbly conducted by Dutch maestro Peter Dijkstra, this is a Messiah as thrilling, awe inspiring, and beautiful as any you have heard. The amazing Bavarian Radio chorus sing as stylishly as any period chorus, with perfect diction, flawless intonation and white hot energy. The young period orchestra B´ Rock from Belgium play splendidly. The soloists know what they´re singing about. Definitely NOT a routine performance of yet another Messiah.
And the live sound from the Herkulessaal in Munich is exemplary.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:12 pm

An early Christmas present, I couldn't wait to hear these three Sibelius discs, as I had heard good things. Okko Kamu was a conductor unknown to me: his attention to shape, pacing and detail turned out to be excellent, but the one element that's missing here is FIB, or fire in the belly. All is carefully controlled and beautifully played, but the electricity that Bernstein brought to this music is simply missing: perhaps it's just not in the Finnish character. Needless to say, the recordings were enjoyable and highly professional. Four stars.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:28 am

An early Christmas present, I couldn't wait to hear these three Sibelius discs, as I had heard good things. Okko Kamu was a conductor unknown to me: his attention to shape, pacing and detail turned out to be excellent, but the one element that's missing here is FIB, or fire in the belly. All is carefully controlled and beautifully played, but the electricity that Bernstein brought to this music is simply missing: perhaps it's just not in the Finnish character. Needless to say, the recordings were enjoyable and highly professional. Four stars.
Okko Kamu has conducted often here, always reliable, but not in Vänskä´s league -I think- let alone Berglund´s.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:12 pm

josé echenique wrote:Image

Not just a new recording of Messiah, but a very special one. Superbly conducted by Dutch maestro Peter Dijkstra, this is a Messiah as thrilling, awe inspiring, and beautiful as any you have heard. The amazing Bavarian Radio chorus sing as stylishly as any period chorus, with perfect diction, flawless intonation and white hot energy. The young period orchestra B´ Rock from Belgium play splendidly. The soloists know what they´re singing about. Definitely NOT a routine performance of yet another Messiah.
And the live sound from the Herkulessaal in Munich is exemplary.
Pepe: Thanks for that review. I've been listening to the set below every year since it was issued in 2009, and find it eminently satisfactory, but now perhaps it's time for a new version. Having sung Messiah nearly 50 times between Carnegie Hall and Avery Fisher (Philharmonic Hall), I have a special fondness for the piece.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:01 pm

I´m sure you won´t be disappointed with Dijkstra´s dear Maestro. The last thing one wants is a routine Messiah, and this is not.

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:17 am

It's sadly, so sadly, just a wish-list item at the mo. Were I rich I'd commission someone to accompany and record Gweneth-Ann Jeffers doing Messiaen's Harawi. I'm not a great fan of Messiaen but he did turn out a few nice ones to my ears, this being one and Jeffers is beautiful with it. I attended a performance years ago just after I joined CMG - so please, someone, put it on record!

Apparently she's recorded some Samuel Barber songs so that's on my list.

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:33 am

A lovely Christmas present:

Seán

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 am

Antonio Pappano has the unique talent of making Aida his own, sounding fresh and well thought through as if it were a premiere recording. Each person reading this will already have a favorite version of this opera, but in this recent release each singer imparts something special to each role, thanks due I'm sure to extensive coaching with the Maestro. Here we have depth and deep respect for the details in the score. Kaufmann is the star here: his Celeste Aida is the most heartfelt and beautifully sung I have ever heard. Semenchuk rivals the best Amneris on record, while Ludivic Tezier sounds appropriatly authoritative and passionate in his scene persuading Aida to betray her lover. Anja Harteros may be a touch light-voiced for the role (her high C in O patria mia sounds a bit uncertain), but these are quibbles. Surely a great recording, well-deserving of the mighty publicity campaign surrounding its release. Brilliant! Four and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:03 am

George Enescu's excellent music is rarely performed or for that matter, recorded, yet here we have chamber gems from Chandos and the Schubert Ensemble, including William Howard on piano. Delicious and delightful, these are not bons-bons, but serious music with depth and virtuosity: not a dull bar on the disc. Highly recommended listening for those who appreciate good, solid yet melodic piano chamber music.

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 pm

What a great way to wash away the gloom of Blue Monday. The following items arrived in the post this morning:

I am very keen on Gardiner's symphonic recordings.

On Fergus' recommendation I decided to get this

I love the String Quintets and I am very fond of the BSQ as well so this was an obvious choice:

Their recordings of symphonies 1, 2 ,3 & 6 are very impressive indeed so I am expecting to really enjoy this cd:

and finally, for now, another recommendation by Fergus:
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 pm

More Mozart recordings:

Seán

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm

The late symphonies of Estonian composer Eduard Tubin. I do not recall actually hearing his music (certainly heard his name) while I was in Tallinn, but lately the Fifth, Ninth, & unfinished Eleventh (one movement, orchestrated by Kaljo Raid) have won me completely.

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:28 am

It's about time to say good things about this disc of Magnus Lindberg's latest compositions, including his Piano Concerto No.2, Expo and Al Largo. Lindberg is a fine composer of music that scintillates and appeals on many levels. Accessible without compromising itself, I find myself fascinated with its twists and turns, alternately melodically fragmented yet never over the cliff into noise for noise's sake. A thoroughly enjoyable journey, ably captained by Alan Gilbert and his mighty N. Y. Philharmonic forces. Five stars! .....and yes, these are live performances.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Tchaikovsky's Jolanthe (or Iolanthe) is a stunningly beautiful work, here ably performed and recorded by conductor Dmitri Kitajenko and a magnificent cast of singers from the Cologne (Koln) opera, a group of wonderful voices performing in Russian, none of whom were familiar to me. I loved these discs on first hearing, and plan on living with them regularly for some time. Highly recommended: Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:13 am

While I'm familiar with the name Imogen Cooper, this recording of Schumann & Brahms is her first disc that I've acquired. This is stunningly beautiful playing, beautifully nuanced and very individual without going off-track. It all comes down to tone quality: I can't wait to hear her Mozart. For piano afficionados, grab this release: she's marvelous!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:25 am

Finally acquired this must-have 2-disc set of Firkusny's definitive Dvorak Piano Concerto and Piano Quintets, with some Janacek bonuses thrown in for good measure. Vaclav Neumann provides sensitive accompaniment in the Concerto, while the effervescent Ridge String Quartet partner in the chamber music. These are first-rate modern recordings, digitally made in 1990 when Firkusny was still at the height of his powers. Absolutely first-rank, this is my preferred rendition of the concerto by far. Five stars.

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Though I've cut down considerably in purchasing CDs (I have too many purchased in the past that I have not yet listened to as well as quite a few unheard in the big box sets I've bought -- including several entire big box sets I have not yet even opened!), I still do buy select discs, especially those that continue or strive to complete collections, such as the Hyperion series for the Romantic Piano, Violin, and Cello (I currently am up to date on all three series -- I have not started the Hyperion "Classical Piano Concerto" yet, having managed to discipline myself enough to hold off on starting another of what may be a huge shelf/space robbing series).

But today in the mail I did receive two new releases on the NEOS label, items 23 and 24 of the MUSICA VIVA series, these two discs featuring music of Helmut Lachenmann. Disc 23, NEOS 11423, presents Ausklang, Musik fur Klavier mit Orchester (1984/1985) with Pierre-Laurent Aimard at piano and the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks conducted by Jonathan Nott. Number 24, NEOS 11424, gives us two works: "...Zwei Gefuhle...", Musik Mit Leonardo (1991/1992) for Speaker (Lachenmann himself on the album) and Ensemble, the SDBR once again, this time conducted by Peter Oetvos; and Schrieben, Musik fur Orchester (2002/2003, new version 2004) with Susanna Malkki conducting the SDBR.

Interestingly enough, Musica Viva vol. 25 featuring the music of Jorge E. López was released last year, and (according to an emial I received from Wulf Weinmann, president of NEOS and formerly of Col Legno) vol. 22 (music of Ligeti, Murail, Benjamin) is also slated for an early 2016 release. The series itself has proven quite fascinating from the beginning. Volume 1, which is on the Col Legno label, is a Morton Feldman disc of music to words by Samuel Beckett, and is the disc that originally drew me to the series. Subsequent discs feature music by a wide range of "modern" composers including John Cage, Udo Zimmerman, Iannis Xenakis, Toshio Hosokawa, Bernard Lang, and Wolfgang Rihm, among others. Disc 11 presents the First and Third Piano Concerti of Bela Bartok, and thus ranks as one of the more "traditional" discs in the collection.

The first 13 discs are on Col Legno, and then NEOS takes over -- though I'm not certain about disc 14 since I do not yet have that one in my collection. It's proven a hard catch to find. (I also need number 12, another hard find.) -- In that same email referred to above, Wulf Weinmann said "Let me know which volumes you’d like to buy, and I’ll have a look to our archive. May be we’ll find what you want." I mentioned 12 and 14 and haven't heard back, so perhaps he himself is having a problem locating copies.

But that's what I have bought recently. Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen to the Lachenmann works soon. Often I put these things on the shelf and forget about them for years, which is why I currently have too many unheard discs on my shelf. I know there is some kind of mental illness associated with this sort of behavior, but I don't want to think about or discuss it.

Image Image

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:27 pm

I too have about 75 new discs that I haven't opened, along with box sets from Richter, Murray Perahia and Horowitz (among others) that haven't been broken into. It's called collectoritis and is something I think we all have in common.

Just wanted to mention here that the Stokowski set pictured below features extraordinarily fine remastering, especially on the Debussy and Shostakovich 11 discs. Grab this while it's still available......

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Andris Nelsons has made a big splash with this, his first recording in a projected series of Shostakovich Symphonies with the Boston Symphony for DGG, the first such project by a major Westerm label in my memory. Nelsons version of the 10th is coupled with the rare Passacaglia from Lady MacBeth by the same composer, which makes a fine opening work. The recording is live, which adds to the musical tension, and makes this a Shostakovich X to rival Petrenko and von Karajan in modern sound. Nelsons is a bit more flexible with tempo than his competitors, which makes for an interesting performance, but I think the subtle moments only make the symphony more interesting. A great first outing. Five enthusuastic stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:58 am

This is an interesting disc at first, with all pieces except Taras Bulba in the lesser-known category of Janacek's ouevre. If your curiosity is piqued, and you want to own these oddities, by all means buy the disc. I found these curiosities boring, to say the least, even the Violin Concerto. The only great piece here is, of course, Taras Bulba, which I have in other renditions. Not recommended except for the curious who just want to say they've heard it. James Ehnes plays fine, and Edward Gardner conducts well, so no complaints there, and the Bergen Philharmonic plays very clean and crisp.