Two Star Conductors Faced #MeToo Allegations. Now They’re Back.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 am

Mr. Gatti onstage at the Rome Opera. He was named the company’s music director this month.

Charles Dutoit conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in Berlin in 2017.

By Alex Marshall

Dec. 28, 2018

In July, Daniele Gatti, one of the world’s leading conductors, faced allegations that he forced himself on two singers.

A few days later, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam terminated his contract, saying a number of its female members had reported experiences “which are inappropriate considering his position as chief conductor.”

Now, just months later, Mr. Gatti, who denies the allegations, is back. In December, he was appointed music director of the Rome Opera. A major Italian classical music magazine put him on its cover and named him among its people of the year.

In December 2017, Charles Dutoit, another star conductor, also found himself at the center of a sexual harassment scandal, which grew to include accusations of inappropriate conduct between 1985 and 2010. Mr. Dutoit denies the allegations. But major orchestras around the world, such as the Boston Symphony, severed ties with him.

Mr. Dutoit is now back, too. In September, he was named principal guest conductor of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic in Russia, and conducted at a festival in Switzerland.

The initial actions against the two men led many to feel that classical music was getting a grip on sexual harassment, especially following the firing of James Levine, the Metropolitan Opera’s former music director, who was accused of sexual misconduct. But the rapid return of Mr. Gatti and Mr. Dutoit has led some to ask whether the cult of personality that surrounds maestros in a tradition-bound field has won out, particularly in countries like Italy and Russia where the reaction to #MeToo has been relatively muted.

There has been little public questioning of either conductor’s return. In April, Anna Netrebko, the Russian soprano, initially dismissed the notion that the classical music world had a problem with sexual assault. “Nobody will ever force you to do anything, never,” she told the British radio station Classic FM. “If you did it, it means that you allowed that.”

Other allegations have drawn similar responses. In November, Nike Wagner, the great-granddaughter of Richard Wagner and the artistic director of Beethoven Fest in Bonn, Germany, said a German music professor, Siegfried Mauser, who had been convicted of sexual assault, was the victim of a “malicious scheme.” (Ms. Wagner did not respond to a request for interview.) In the Netherlands, Pieter Jan Leusink, the founder of the country’s Bach Choir, has been accused of sexual misconduct, but is giving major concerts.

Carlo Fuortes, the general manager of the Rome Opera, said in an email that there had been no prosecutions against Mr. Gatti and noted that the allegations go back 20 years. “We cannot sentence anybody without a regular prosecution. I believe this will be very dangerous,” he said.

The orchestra examined the allegations, he added. But Jan Raes, the managing director of the Concertgebouw Orchestra, said in an email that the Rome Opera had not contacted him.

The St. Petersburg Philharmonic refused to answer questions about whether they had examined the allegations against Mr. Dutoit.

“I’m disappointed more in the classical music world than him, I guess,” said Paula Rasmussen, an American singer who claims that, almost 30 years ago, Mr. Dutoit forced himself on her in a dressing room and shoved her hand down his pants. “No one’s holding him out to explain or apologize,” she added in a telephone interview. “This is why people don’t come forward.”

Anne-Sophie Schmidt, a former leading French soprano who said she had a similar experience while performing with Mr. Dutoit in 1995, said, “It proves classical music doesn’t want to admit there’s a problem.” Mr. Dutoit called her into his dressing room, forcibly kissed her and grabbed her breasts, she said in a telephone interview.

“I get a few messages — Facebook, emails — from young singers thanking me for what I’ve done in speaking out,” Ms. Schmidt said. “They say I can do it as I’m retired. They say it’s happened to them, but they are afraid to speak.”

Classical music is not the only field having to confront the question of whether men who faced #MeToo allegations should be allowed to resume their careers. Louis C.K. is back doing spots at comedy clubs not long after he admitted to inappropriate behavior, including masturbating in front of several women. But few in classical music seem eager to discuss these issues publicly.

The New York Times contacted ten high-profile conductors and other leading classical music figures for comment, but was told they were busy, on vacation, or felt they did not know enough to comment. Nick Mathias of IMG Artists, which represents Vasily Petrenko, the Russian conductor who works across Europe, said Mr. Petrenko was busy, but added: “I really don’t think it would be at all appropriate for Vasily, or any other conductor, to be commenting on senior conductors such as Dutoit or Gatti.”

Nikolaus Pont, the general manager of the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Munich, said in a telephone interview that the ensemble had decided to keep Mr. Gatti on for two concerts which he conducted in October, despite the allegations against him. But the whole process had involved two months’ agonizing, and he still felt “discomfort” about it, he said.

Mr. Pont said he contacted the Concertgebouw for more details, but they would not provide any, for legal reasons. No one at the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra reported any problems with Mr. Gatti, and Mr. Pont said he could not find any official reason that the performances should not occur.

“It was a difficult decision, as the last thing you want to do is give the impression of wanting to cover anything up or play anything down,” Mr. Pont said. The issue of sexual misconduct needs to be discussed more in classical music, he added, and not just in orchestras, but also in universities and academies. He referred to the case of Mr. Mauser, a former president of Munich’s University of Music and Performing Arts, who was convicted on three counts of sexual coercion against a singer. In December, the university announced a ban on teaching in private rooms following the scandal.

Other German orchestras have considered working with Mr. Gatti. In December, the Berlin Philharmonic said two concerts with him in 2019 had been canceled because the conductor was unwell, but the orchestra did not rule out future engagements. A spokesman for the annual Wagner festival in Bayreuth, Germany, would not confirm or deny that it was considering inviting Mr. Dutoit to conduct the “Ring” cycle in 2020.

Alicia Berneche, a soprano who has made allegations against Mr. Gatti, said in a telephone interview that his return reminded her of Louis C.K.’s comeback. She said that Mr. Gatti grabbed her bottom and shoved his tongue down her throat on her first day of rehearsals at the Lyric Opera in Chicago in 1996.

“That was my first day at the Lyric,” Ms. Berneche said. “That was my first experience with a major conductor. It changed me.”

Both Louis C.K. and Mr. Gatti returned to public engagements only months after facing allegations, she added: “The question is when is the penance long enough?”
Correction: December 28, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/arts ... opera.html

maestrob

Re: Two Star Conductors Faced #MeToo Allegations. Now They’re Back.

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Horrifying! I believe that this attitude is what kept Levine active at the MET for so long, despite many allegations over the years against him. Levine's "Droit du seigneur" expired only when he was finally unable to function as a conductor.

Despicable! :twisted:

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 am

Allegations are not proof, but it should not hurt to investigate them. Not long ago, some of the allegations against a Supreme Court nominee were withdrawn, and at least one accuser admitted she lied.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 am

They'd probably all be relieved not to be under the jurisdiction of the Australian Family Court where the presumption of guilt is never tested because there is an automatic assumption that men are all guilty of violence and perfidy and they pay, and pay dearly. Family Violence Orders are issued like confetti in this country and no married man has any rights whatsoever. Due process does not exist and women use this system to enable them to live with a new man, unfettered by the courts and with the discarded spouse paying all the bills.

Appalling beyond belief and something one would expect to find in Stalinist Russia.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 am

david johnson wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 am
Allegations are not proof, but it should not hurt to investigate them. Not long ago, some of the allegations against a Supreme Court nominee were withdrawn, and at least one accuser admitted she lied.
More important for me is that Kavanaugh may have lied too-I was hoping for a better investigation then the flimsy one the FBI was allowed to conduct. Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:35 am

Worthy jurist that he is, Kavanaugh defended his liberty with Constitutional gusto: "I like beer!!!" he intoned loudly in reply to questions about his drinking. "What kind of beer do you drink, senator?"

Giving irrefutable evidence of what to expect from him as a SCOTUS backbencher.

An outburst that calls into question how he might rule on the very weighty matters facing America in the culture wars of the present century, such as the right to drink Anheuser-Busch's new cannabis-infused beverages.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:57 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:35 am
Worthy jurist that he is, Kavanaugh defended his liberty with Constitutional gusto:
Ah this and his tirade were some of the most amazingly dramatic moments and made all my viewing of the hearings worth the price of admission! Regards, Len :lol:

1. “Did it relate to alcohol? You haven’t answered that,” Whitehouse said.

“I like beer,” Kavanaugh said loudly. He added: “Do you like beer, Senator, or not? What do you like to drink?”

As Whitehouse attempted to move on to his next question, Kavanaugh asked again, “Senator, what do you like to drink?”

2. Kavanaugh’s hostility returned when he engaged with Klobuchar, the Democratic senator, in what was arguably his lowest moment throughout the entire hearing.

“Was there ever a time when you drank so much that you couldn’t remember what happened, or part of what happened, the night before?” she asked.

“No, I remember what happened and I think you’ve probably had beer, Senator,” Kavanaugh said, as Klobuchar spoke over him.

Klobuchar: “So you’re saying there’s never been a case where you drank so much that you didn’t remember what happened the night before or part of what happened?”

Kavanaugh: “It’s — you’re asking about, you know, blackout. I don’t know. Have you?”

Klobuchar: “Could you answer the question, Judge? . . . So . . . that’s not happened? Is that your answer?”

Kavanaugh: “Yeah, and I’m curious if you have.”

Clearly uncomfortable, Klobuchar released a short laugh before responding, “I have no drinking problem, Judge.”

“Yeah, nor do I,” Kavanaugh said with a smile.

The exchange was described by The Post’s Jennifer Rubin as “a moment of singular cruelty and disrespect.” On social media, people were both shocked and outraged.

New York Magazine reporter Cristian Farias described it as “surreal.”

When the hearing resumed after a recess, Kavanaugh apologized to Klobuchar.

“She asked me a question at the end that I responded by asking her a question,” he said. He added: “Sorry I did that. This is a tough process. I’m sorry about that.”

Klobuchar accepted the apology.

“I appreciate that,” she said. “I would like to add that when you have a parent that’s an alcoholic, you’re pretty careful about drinking.”

3. His partisan tirade

“This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record; revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.

“This is a circus. The consequences will extend long past my nomination. The consequences will be with us for decades. This grotesque character assassination will dissuade confident and good people of all political persuasions from serving our country, and as we all know, in the political system of the early 2000s, what goes around comes around.”

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 am

Let me leap to Kavanaugh's defense. A person is innocent of anything and everything that is not proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal proceeding.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 am
This upstanding individual has never been accused of consuming to excess any foreign brew (such as Vlad Putin Imperial Reserve), only of drinking the pig swill that passes for beer in America. Forgivable in a teenager, no?
Yes that's permissible but not sexual assault or lying to Congress. As for the hearings I must mention the great dramatic work of Graham and Harris--especially Graham! Regards, Len :lol:

"This is going to destroy the ability of good people to come forward because of this crap. Your high school yearbook -- you have interacted with professional women all your life, not one accusation.

You're supposed to be Bill Cosby when you're a junior and senior in high school. And all of a sudden, you got over it. It's been my understanding that if you drug women and rape them for two years in high school, you probably don't stop.

Here's my understanding, if you lived a good life people would recognize it, like the American Bar Association has, the gold standard. His integrity is absolutely unquestioned. He is the very circumspect in his personal conduct, harbors no biases or prejudices. He's entirely ethical, is a really decent person. He is warm, friendly, unassuming. He's the nicest person -- the ABA.

The one thing I can tell you should be proud of -- Ashley, you should be proud of this -- that you raised a daughter who had the good character to pray for Dr. Ford.

To my Republican colleagues, if you vote no, you're legitimizing the most despicable thing I have seen in my time in politics. You want this seat? I hope you never get it.

I hope you're on the Supreme Court, that's exactly where you should be. And I hope that the American people will see through this charade. And I wish you well. And I intend to vote for you and I hope everybody who's fair-minded will."

The whole transcript is here.
https://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public/i ... nomination

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 am

How did a discussion about how conductors wave their diminutive batons turn political?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 am
How did a discussion about how conductors wave their batons turn political?
I went back and checked-it's David's fault! Regards, Len :lol:

Post by david johnson » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:02 amAllegations are not proof, but it should not hurt to investigate them. Not long ago, some of the allegations against a Supreme Court nominee were withdrawn, and at least one accuser admitted she lied.

PS-did you edit your previous message on the beer and if so why!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:54 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 am
did you edit your previous message on the beer and if so why!
Because I just poured myself a glass of good American suds: Great Lakes where all good things are brewed. Courting infamy, I will state that I too like beer.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:54 am
Because I just poured myself a glass of good American suds: Great Lakes where all good things are brewed. Courting infamy, I will state that I too like beer.
Wow isn't it a little early for beer. Are you courting infamy or supreme courting infamy! Regards, Len [out of here] :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am

Been awake since 2 AM. Reading a brilliant book, Kitchen Confidential. Sipping various brews. There'll be no time for reflection once my grandkids (ages four & eight) awaken. Oops, and here they are!

barney

Post by barney » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:27 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 am
jserraglio wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:54 am
Wow isn't it a little early for beer. Are you courting infamy or supreme courting infamy! Regards, Len [out of here] :lol:
What do you mean Lenny? It was 10.49pm when js posted that (Melbourne time). He should have been on his fifth beer, at least.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:32 am

barney wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:27 pm
What do you mean Lenny? It was 10.49pm when js posted that (Melbourne time). He should have been on his fifth beer, at least.
Barney how come we weren't told he had traveled to Australia! Regards, Len :lol:

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 pm

"​Both Louis C.K. and Mr. Gatti returned to public engagements only months after facing allegations, she added: “The question is when is the penance long enough?”

Although Louis C.K. lost his own TV show, he is still listed as the producer of Pamela Adlon's show BETTER THINGS, one of my favorites, and it is put out by Louis C.K.'s production company.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:52 am

Bad pennies will come back.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:30 pm

For many, if not most, people the public humiliation is very much part of the punishment. Some egos are so invincible the humiliation bounces off. Naturally I have no idea what it has meant to either conductor.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm old enough to remember the ignominy of Charles Chaplin over his preference for under-aged females and sexual harassment. The American film-going public didn't like it too much!!

John F

Post by John F » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 am

This is hard to figure. The orchestra is treating him as an emeritus, but they're not saying they were wrong to terminate him. Maybe he is innocent of the accusations but wants nothing more to do with the orchestra after members of the orchestra slandered him and he was summarily fired. Whatever, they and he aren't telling.

Concertgebouw Orchestra and Daniele Gatti close chapter
23/04/2019

After the dismissal of Daniele Gatti as Music Director of the Amsterdam based Concertgebouw Orchestra, following allegations of sexual harassment, both parties had « constructive consultations » and have agreed to issue the statement below. The original decision has thereby become final and irreversible for both parties, a press release says.

Statement of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and Maestro Daniele Gatti are pleased to announce that matters between the two parties have been resolved following extensive discussions. The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra would like to take this opportunity to thank Maestro Daniele Gatti for his artistic leadership during his time as the chief conductor of the orchestra and the contribution he has made to its position in the world of classical music.

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra wishes Maestro Daniele Gatti well, both personally and professionally. He will always remain an important part of the artistic legacy of the orchestra and he will always be remembered as its seventh chief conductor.

As a token of appreciation, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra will release three special recordings conducted by Daniele Gatti: Richard Strauss’s Salome, Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 1 on CD and DVD and Bruckner’s Symphony No. 9 on CD.

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and Maestro Daniele Gatti have agreed that no further announcements will be made.

https://www.pizzicato.lu/concertgebouw- ... e-chapter/
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 am

All that means to me is that the parties involved managed to avoid a legal confrontation like that happening between Levine and the MET. Who else has the $$ for that? A waste of resources, I say, on both sides. Once your reputation is gone, it's gone for good in this "#metoo" world, as it should be.

I'd also say that it looks like there was some truth and hard evidence (like a recording) to the allegations, and Gatti decided not to fight.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am

If that were so, then I should think the orchestra would hardly be treating Gatti as a VIP. We just don't know, I don't think we can guess, and of course we don't need to.

(Since I don't think much of Gatti as a conductor, I don't really care much either way.)
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:47 pm

WOW … this is a "hot topic" around here! Look at the hits!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]