Uchida plays Mozart PC's at Carnegie

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Uchida plays Mozart PC's at Carnegie

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:56 am

Mitsuko Uchida live at Carnegie Hall recently with Mahler Chamber Orchestra under her direction playing theMozart PC's 19 and 20. I have not heard yet:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/listen-mitsu ... hall-live/

Modernistfan

Re: Uchida plays Mozart PC's at Carnegie

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 am

From what I have heard on recordings, I am not a huge fan of Uchida in the Mozart piano concertos. I think that her playing is too "Dresden-china"-ish. Of course, that is only my opinion.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:58 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:56 am
Mitsuko Uchida live at Carnegie Hall recently with Mahler Chamber Orchestra under her direction playing theMozart PC's 19 and 20. I have not heard yet:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/listen-mitsu ... hall-live/
Interesting that she took the top off her piano, as did Murray Perahia in his recordings. Better balance with the orchestra?

She sure looks happy in the photo! :D

In her box set w/Jeffrey Tate conducting, she sounded a bit precious compared to Perahia and even more so in contrast with Geza Anda, who was quite energetic. Here, she sounds more assertive, which I like.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 am
From what I have heard on recordings, I am not a huge fan of Uchida in the Mozart piano concertos. I think that her playing is too "Dresden-china"-ish. Of course, that is only my opinion.
I only heard this live PC # 19, not # 20, as dont seem to hear # 19 programmed live ,or even recorded,very often,mine R.Serkin's recording of years ago. #19 one of Mozart's lighter moods, but , fww, I think Uchida largely avoids the "Dresden" style this time.