Another "Messiah" by Sven-David Sandstrom

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Another "Messiah" by Sven-David Sandstrom

Post by Lance » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:38 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Messiah-SVEN-DAV ... sic&sr=1-1

MESSIAH by Sven-David Sandstrom
Oratorio in three parts for soloists, chorus and large orchestra
Robin Johannsen, soprano
Roxana Constantinescu, contralto
Timothy Fallon, tenor
Michael Nagy, bass
Stuttgart Festival Ensemble
Helmuth Rillling, conductor
CARUS 83.453, 2 CDs, 36:06, 54:15 = 1:20:21
Recorded live 6-7 September 2009,Beethovensaal, Stuttgart

Well, given the name of this great, much-loved oratorio. I was interested in the piece because of a local Binghamton, New York-born tenor, Timothy Fallon who has established quite a career for himself and will be present a recital at the Phelps Mansion Museum in Binghamton, New York on September 22, 2019. The piece follows in order very much in the Handel manner of Messiah. While given a very modern sound, the work is imbued with some excellent orchestral work, not to mention choral- and solo work from the singers.

The work is dedicated to Helmuth Rilling, the conductor. It was commissioned by the Oregon Bach Festival and the International Bach Academy in Stuttgart, Germany.

Some of the arias are not sung with traditional soloists, such as in "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth," which here is sung by baritone and chorus. The soloists are excellent, as I expected them to be. Robin Johannesen, especially, has a singularly excellently placed voice, taking the high tessitura with ease, and of course, I was very pleased to hear Mr. Fallon's outstanding voice.

This is the most recent contemporary piece of music I have heard in a long time. It will never replace Handel's great masterpiece, but for those interested in modern-day music, it may provide an interesting listening experience for you.

It currently shows on Amazon/USA for $333.25, but I can assure you, it is available elsewhere for a much more reasonable price! • >>>

ONE REVIEWER:
"Sandstrom is clearly one of the great choral composers living today, and he has made an interesting progress from 20th century dissonance to writing for chorus. In this work, he takes the text Handel used for Messiah and wrote a new work that sounds very different. Because he replaces the da capo arias with much more compact material, usually divided among several soloists, the "pace" of the music seems to be very quick. You might not take to it immediately--there are dissonant passages and sections that are not immediately to be absorbed--but it's worth the effort to listen several times and appreciate the level of choral (and orchestral) writing, as well as a very good performance."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Another "Messiah" by Sven-David Sandstrom

Post by maestrob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:09 am

Well, well, it's indeed a small world, Lance. Robin Johannsen is a "graduate" of my competition: her first public appearance after graduation was in Carnegie Hall with me, singing Mozart's "Der holle Rache..." and Verdi's "Caro nome...". I remember her quite well: she was very easy to work with and a delightful singer, and I have the recording to prove it! After the concert, I took her into a local recording studio that had a 1910 Steinway D tuned to perfection and recorded her and the others on the program, then posted the results online to promote the competition.

Truthfully, I wanted her for the finals concert, but an agent who attended her Semifinals appearance whisked her off to Bayreuth, where she made her professional debut as the Forest Bird in "Siegfried." She's made several well-received recordings since then, including an excellent "Seraglio" with Rene Jacobs.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Well, Brian, it is, indeed, a small world. Johannsen has an extraordinary voice. I hope she does not confine herself, on recordings at least, to the older repertoire. Mozart, of course, is always great to have. Would you ever consider sharing those recordings you made (with her kind permission, too) so that I might do a radio broadcast in her honour?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Well, Brian, it is, indeed, a small world. Johannsen has an extraordinary voice. I hope she does not confine herself, on recordings at least, to the older repertoire. Mozart, of course, is always great to have. Would you ever consider sharing those recordings you made (with her kind permission, too) so that I might do a radio broadcast in her honour?
Certainly, Lance! As long as you mention my competition by name (New York Vocal Artists), there's no problem. Robin signed a contract with me when the recording was made specifying that the sessions would be used to promote the competition. I have the paper on file somewhere. The recordings were made in either 2001 or 2002. Please let me know if you would like a copy, and I'll get them to you posthaste. Her pianist was an assistant conductor from the Maryinski Theater, Regina Yakobtsiner, who has since retired and moved to Princeton with her daughter and family.

Robin's recordings with me were of "Caro nome" and "Der holle Rache."

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am

Well Brian, I'm thrilled. Yes, I'd love to have a copy of those recordings, and will mention the competition name. I am looking over some of the singer's commercial recordings as well and will plan to do a program in the future, keeping you advised, of course. Thank you!
maestrob wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Certainly, Lance! As long as you mention my competition by name (New York Vocal Artists), there's no problem. Robin signed a contract with me when the recording was made specifying that the sessions would be used to promote the competition. I have the paper on file somewhere. The recordings were made in either 2001 or 2002. Please let me know if you would like a copy, and I'll get them to you posthaste. Her pianist was an assistant conductor from the Maryinski Theater, Regina Yakobtsiner, who has since retired and moved to Princeton with her daughter and family.

Robin's recordings with me were of "Caro nome" and "Der holle Rache."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief