BBC Record Review - Chopin Scherzi

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

BBC Record Review - Chopin Scherzi

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:45 am

Today ( Jan.25) pianist Ian Burnside compares, with excerpts, several recordings. Spoiler : “winner “ Richter.Starts about 30 minutes into the broadcast.

Also a new cd by pianist Julian Libeer pairing Bach and Bartok . CD of the Week the recording of the Tchaikovsky and Barber violin concertos by youngster Johan Dalene I may have mentioned here earlier, or not, worth hearing what BBC offers from that cd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dpfk

Holden Fourth

Re: BBC Record Review - Chopin Scherzi

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:07 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us. Last year I spent 6 weeks in the UK and tuned in the hire car radio to BBC3. For some reason I always seemed to be driving somewhere on a Saturday morning when this program was on and heard some great classical music and well informed comment.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:07 pm
Thank you for sharing this with us. Last year I spent 6 weeks in the UK and tuned in the hire car radio to BBC3. For some reason I always seemed to be driving somewhere on a Saturday morning when this program was on and heard some great classical music and well informed comment.
I wish I'd had the wit to do that. I just kept the radio off.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:45 am

As I was driving through the Scottish Highlands it started to snow and the dramatic scenery was given a greater emphasis. To top it off, BBC3 were playing Sibelius. This would have to be one of best drives I've ever done.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am

I felt the same way. Was it the Glencoe Road? I've spent a lifetime mocking the Scots, naturally, because it is my wife's heritage and because it's so easy to do, but there I discovered my inner Scot!

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am
I felt the same way. Was it the Glencoe Road? I've spent a lifetime mocking the Scots, naturally, because it is my wife's heritage and because it's so easy to do, but there I discovered my inner Scot!
No, it was the coastal route via Inverness and I ended up staying at Lybster which is a bout an hour south of John O'Groats. I remember stopping at a town called Tomintoul which was well up into the Highlands. After visiting Orkney I drove what the rest of what they call the NC500. This completed a circle back to Inverness which I had passed through a few days earlier when heading north. Absolutely stunning countryside for all pats of the trip!

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 am

Aha! Maybe next time for me. thanks.
And to return to the thread, :D, Chopin would have been equally moved by such countryside. Mendelssohn was.