A $430-million Angel, and he's probably underpaid

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

A $430-million Angel, and he's probably underpaid

Post by jserraglio » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm

I saw Trout play 2 seasons ago, and he clearly deserves this rich contract that should lock him in till age 38. Comparisons to Mantle, Williams and even Ruth are not unwarranted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... underpaid/

Modernistfan

Re: A $430-million Angel, and he's probably underpaid

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Trout is one of the few non-pitchers possibly worth this kind of money in a game seriously depleted of talent. Mookie Betts and Jose Altuve might be two others, but there are very few, if any, others. In my view, neither Manny Machado nor Bryce Harper is close to being worth that kind of money. Machado, although more consistent offensively than has become the norm in today's game, has developed a habit of not hustling, leading one to seriously question how he will perform after having been given a big-money long-term contract. Bryce Harper has been very inconsistent (hitting below .250 two out of the last five years) and he has also developed a reputation as a prima donna and a disruptive influence in the clubhouse (two years ago, the closer for the Washington Nationals nearly punched him out). A strike or lockout seems inevitable after the 2021 season (if there is not a wildcat strike by the players sooner). The owners better stand tough and take the position that they definitely need to put a better product on the field and not pay zillions to players who do not produce.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 pm

All good points. From what I hear, read and see, Trout is the real deal, the antithesis of a prima donna. He got a big contract a few years ago but has improved every year since. For eight years now he's been putting on HoF caliber performances as fielder, hitter and baserunner.

The Indians game I attended against the Angels was electrifying. Two unheralded but talented young teams committed to playing the game intensely. Cleveland won in extra innings with a walk-off grand slam.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:52 pm

I might add Francisco Lindor of Cleveland to that very short list if he can get his batting average up somewhat and to cut down on the strikeouts. It doesn't hurt that he can run and is an excellent defensive shortstop at a position where defense is very important.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:06 am

Modernistfan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:52 pm
I might add Francisco Lindor of Cleveland to that very short list if he can get his batting average up somewhat and to cut down on the strikeouts. It doesn't hurt that he can run and is an excellent defensive shortstop at a position where defense is very important.
Right, I knew first time I saw him play in his pre-rookie season, Cleveland would be entering the Lindor era, but with Indians attendance in the bottom third of MLB, I don't think they'll be able to afford him once he hits free agency.