Renaud Capucon's new Elgar cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Renaud Capucon's new Elgar cd

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

The Violin Concerto with Sir Rattle and the Violin Sonata with Stephen Hough. While I dont connect much with the VC, the Sonata is a gem. I have not heard Capucon's new one, mine other recordings.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/a ... n-on-elgar

maestrob

Re: Renaud Capucon's new Elgar cd

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am
The Violin Concerto with Sir Rattle and the Violin Sonata with Stephen Hough. While I dont connect much with the VC, the Sonata is a gem. I have not heard Capucon's new one, mine other recordings.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/a ... n-on-elgar
Simon actually called me a couple of weeks before the recording to ask if I knew the Sammons, and when I said it was one of my favourites he was overjoyed because he loves it so much too; it was great to know we were on the same page before we went into the studio. What I love about this recording of both the concerto and sonata is that Sammons puts me very much in mind of the Franco-Belgian school – his playing is so clear and accurate, and if you listen with the score you can see that he does absolutely everything that Elgar wanted. It’s a little less passionate than the Menuhin recording, granted, but it’s more mature in a way: you can feel that this is a man rather than a boy of sixteen. I would have loved to have met Sammons, and I would have loved to have heard him perform live.
Fascinating read, Rach3, thanks! Although I've had the famous Menuhin recording with the composer since it was remastered from vinyl pressings of the original metal 78RPM masters by EMI, I'm not familiar with the Sammons recording, and have discovered that it's been restored recently by Naxos, along with his recording of the Delius, a work that he inspired. I've added the disc to my monthly order from Presto. The Capucon/Elgar can be streamed on Spotify: I'm listening to it now, and it's beautifully recorded in spite of the social distancing of the orchestra. Rattle seems to have total command of the complex score.

Nicola Benedetti's recent release of the Elgar is also quite wonderful.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm

That Naxos recording with Sammons, 8.110952, I've had since 2002. Actually the Naxos Historical Series has some wonderful recordings, stunningly remastered. I'm glad it remains in the Naxos catalogue.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am
Fascinating read, Rach3, thanks! Although I've had the famous Menuhin recording with the composer since it was remastered from vinyl pressings of the original metal 78RPM masters by EMI, I'm not familiar with the Sammons recording, and have discovered that it's been restored recently by Naxos, along with his recording of the Delius, a work that he inspired. I've added the disc to my monthly order from Presto. The Capucon/Elgar can be streamed on Spotify: I'm listening to it now, and it's beautifully recorded in spite of the social distancing of the orchestra. Rattle seems to have total command of the complex score.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm
That Naxos recording with Sammons, 8.110952, I've had since 2002. Actually the Naxos Historical Series has some wonderful recordings, stunningly remastered. I'm glad it remains in the Naxos catalogue.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am
I agree, Lance! Not to change the subject, but I've started collecting the Koussevitsky remasterings on Naxos, at least those I can find. The Sibelius II from 1935(?) is exactly the way it should go, with only one bar that I'm not totally comfortable with. The Fifth Symphony on the same disc is excellent also.