And the Juno winners for 2021 are:

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

And the Juno winners for 2021 are:

Post by slofstra » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Canada held its annual Juno music awards last night. And yes, there are awards for classical music as well. I suspect those don't get on to the television show, although I'm not sure. I only watch award shows when I've partially or completely lost my mind.

Anyway, here are the nominees, with the winner in bold.

Classical album of the year: solo or chamber

Mosaïque, Ensemble Made In Canada
Bach & Brahms Reimagined, James Ehnes, Jon Kimura Parker, Jens Lindemann
Beethoven: Violin Sonatas Nos. 4, 5 & 8, James Ehnes with Andrew Armstrong
La Peste, Les Barocudas
Ana Sokolović: Short Stories, Quatuor Bozzini Collection

Classical album of the year: large ensemble

Mozart: Concertos pour piano/Piano Concertos Nos. 22 & 24, Les Violons du Roy, conducted by Jonathan Cohen, featuring Charles Richard-Hamelin
Saint-Saëns: Piano Concertos Nos. 3, 5, & Other Works, Louis Lortie with BBC Philharmonic, conducted by Edward Gardner
Jacques Hétu: Concertos, Orchestre symphonique de Laval, conducted by Alain Trudel, featuring Jean-Philippe Sylvestre
Ginastera - Bernstein - Moussa: Œuvres pour violon et orchestre/Works for Violin and Orchestra, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, conducted by Kent Nagano, featuring Andrew Wan
Penderecki: St. Luke Passion, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal with Kraków Philharmonic Choir & Warsaw Boys' Choir, conducted by Kent Nagano

Classical album of the year: vocal or choral

La passione, Barbara Hannigan with Ludwig Orchestra
Massenet: Thaïs, Erin Wall, Joshua Hopkins, Andrew Staples, Toronto Mendelssohn Choir with Toronto Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis
Nuits blanches: Airs d'opéra à la cour de Russie au XVIIe siècle/Opera Arias at the Russian Court of the 18th Century, Karina Gauvin with Pacific Baroque Orchestra, conducted by Alexander Weimann
Sea Dreams, Luminous Voices conducted by Timothy Shantz
Sarah Slean and Symphony Nova Scotia, Sarah Slean with Symphony Nova Scotia, conducted by Bernhard Gueller

Classical composition of the year

Take the dog Sled, Alexina Louie
Commedia dell'arte, Ana Sokolović Collection
Harbour, Anna Höstman
Violin Concerto "Adrano," Samy Moussa
Tachitipo, Zosha Di Castri