Midori gets Kennedy Center Honor

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Midori gets Kennedy Center Honor

Post by Wallingford » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:00 pm

Could be mistaken, but I don't recall getting the news on this board. In fact, nothing was advertised on CBS or on the 'net. I only caught wind during the last five minutes of 60 Minutes. Went quickly online and learned the other four fortunates. Astounding---none of them had me PO'd or mad as hell. I stuck around for the first three honorees (can you fathom--97-year-old Dick Van Dyke only got his last night!!!).

As I'd predictetd, Garth Brooks was saved for the climax, the 'high point'. I was in the tub by then.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Ricordanza

Re: Midori gets Kennedy Center Honor

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:29 am

Wallingford wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:00 pm
In fact, nothing was advertised on CBS or on the 'net.
I watched this, but only because I was looking at my on-screen guide earlier in the day to see what was on TV that evening.

Another odd thing about this honor was the age of the recipient. Midori is a wonderful violinist and fully deserving of the honor, but she is only 49 years old. Most Kennedy Center honorees, especially the classical musicians, are at the tail end of their careers. In fact, I don't recall them bestowing an honor on anyone in any category under the age of 60.

Perhaps it's a function of Midori starting her career so young; it seems like she's been around forever.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:29 am
Wallingford wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:00 pm
In fact, nothing was advertised on CBS or on the 'net.
I watched this, but only because I was looking at my on-screen guide earlier in the day to see what was on TV that evening.

Another odd thing about this honor was the age of the recipient. Midori is a wonderful violinist and fully deserving of the honor, but she is only 49 years old. Most Kennedy Center honorees, especially the classical musicians, are at the tail end of their careers. In fact, I don't recall them bestowing an honor on anyone in any category under the age of 60.

Perhaps it's a function of Midori starting her career so young; it seems like she's been around forever.
One of the gems in my DVD collection is a recording of her first public appearance on the Tonight Show as a prodigy of 15 in 1987. She played Paganini (at 15!) and something else I don't recall at the moment. I adored her immediately, and have every CD she has recorded except the recent Beethoven concerto, which I plan on ordering soon. Midori's decision not to submit herself to the stress and strain of a massive international performing career and instead devote her considerable talent to teaching warmed my heart as well. She's a truly genuine and generous person with perhaps the finest talent for insightful beauty in her playing that outshines her competition. Her live performances of the Mendelssohn and Bruch Concertos with Mariss Jansons are often filling my ears with her unassuming and gently nuanced playing. She finds true depth in many popular works without ever sounding flashy or egotistical. I'd love for her to tackle the Tchaikovsky some day.

Here's a brief interview just after her first appearance on The Tonight Show:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 am

While this is not her original Tonight Show appearance, here's an example of Midori's transcendental musicianship. She plays Paganini's "La Campanella" with Robert McDonald, followed by Ravel's "Tzigane" from her Carnegie Hall debut..

Astounding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBl1GyEWgQI

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:53 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am
I'd love for her to tackle the Tchaikovsky some day.
I agree with all your comments and I love her playing. She did record the Tchaikovsky in 1993 with Abbado. The version I have is coupled with the 1st Shostakovitch concerto from 1997.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 pm

mikealdren wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:53 am
maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am
I'd love for her to tackle the Tchaikovsky some day.
I agree with all your comments and I love her playing. She did record the Tchaikovsky in 1993 with Abbado. The version I have is coupled with the 1st Shostakovitch concerto from 1997.
Oh sure! Senior moment! :oops:

It's the Brahms she hasn't done.

Danny

Post by Danny » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

I adore Midori.

Here are some details about her personal life:

In September 1994, Midori suddenly cancelled her concerts and withdrew from public view. She was hospitalised and given an official diagnosis of anorexia for the first time. In her twenties, Midori struggled with anorexia and depression, resulting in a number of hospital stays. She later wrote about these personal difficulties in her 2004 memoir Einfach Midori (Simply Midori), which has been published in German but not English. (It was updated and reissued in German-speaking countries in 2012.) After recovering, she continued to perform and also studied psychology and gender studies at New York University. For a while, she considered psychology as an alternative career, with a focus on working with children.

Source of information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(v ... sonal_life

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17 am

I once prepared a piano for Midori and her accompanist, McDonald. She was a joy. He was not very pleasant.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 am

I didn't get around to writing a review, but I will mention here that I watched/listened to a May 28, 2021 livestream recital by Midori with pianist Ieva Jokubaviciute. The recital, with a limited audience, was sponsored by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society. The program was as follows:

Dvorak, Sonatina in G Major, Op. 100
Debussy, Violin Sonata
Brahms, Sonata for piano and violin No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 108

Perhaps the reason for not writing a review was that I had run out of superlatives to describe the music and the performance. So take my word for it; Midori was great, as was Ieva (who would be well advised to become a one-name performer like her playing partner 😉 ).

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am

No chance with that name. It might as well be Sviatoslatakava Kolzyniciezwiczi.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am
No chance with that name. It might as well be Sviatoslatakava Kolzyniciezwiczi.
:lol:

I almost lost a tooth trying to pronounce that! :oops:

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Oh no! Gotta look after your teeth, Brian. I'm off to the dentist for a check-up tomorrow. This is a pretty wide digression from Midori. :D