Wilhelm Kempff Edition: Complete DGG Recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Wilhelm Kempff Edition: Complete DGG Recordings

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Wilhelm Kempff was not a perfect messenger of music at the keyboard, it's true, but he was the first to record Beethoven's 2nd Piano Concerto in the early 1920's, and he taught Eric Heidsieck how to play all the Beethoven Sonatas (the first French pianist to do so), so Kempff's legacy is a great one, including his deeply probing and elegantly phrased set of Schubert Sonatas (recorded in early stereo in one of the best-sounding piano sets of all time). Kempff had two chances to record the Beethoven Sonatas in modern sound: His mono set from the mid-1950's is preferable, as by the time stereo arrived his powers had sadly diminished. Kempff was a keyboard giant, as this 80CD set with 92(!) hours of recordings will attest at less than $2.50 per disc.

premont

Re: Wilhelm Kempff Edition: Complete DGG Recordings

Post by premont » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Does this release include any remasterings, or is it just about the old masterings, of which many of us already own a significant number?

BTW the first French pianist to record all 32 LvB piano sonatas was Yves Nat, who recorded them from 1951 to 1955. Heidsieck recorded them from 1970 to 1974.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:36 pm

I'd be interested to see a list of the recordings in this set.

EDIT: Found it.

I am surprised that Kempff never recorded the Diabellis.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:17 pm

premont wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 pm
Does this release include any remasterings, or is it just about the old masterings, of which many of us already own a significant number?

BTW the first French pianist to record all 32 LvB piano sonatas was Yves Nat, who recorded them from 1951 to 1955. Heidsieck recorded them from 1970 to 1974.
That's my problem too. I have at least 50 Kempff CDs, including many box sets, so I'll probably pass on this one.

I named my first dog in Australia Kempff - not a great idea, as it's not easy to shout and no one understood the name. Another highly unsuccessful effort was Argus, because I loved Odysseus's dog in the Odyssey.

I swiftly learnt that a dog's name needs two syllables, the second preferably ending in "ee", as in Lennie, my 16-year-old border collie cross named for Bernstein.

(I bet you didn't expect this tangent to your post, Brian. :D )

premont

Post by premont » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:38 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:17 pm

I named my first dog in Australia Kempff - not a great idea, as it's not easy to shout and no one understood the name. Another highly unsuccessful effort was Argus, because I loved Odysseus's dog in the Odyssey.

I swiftly learnt that a dog's name needs two syllables, the second preferably ending in "ee", as in Lennie, my 16-year-old border collie cross named for Bernstein.

One can say, that this thread has gone to the dogs. :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:53 am

premont wrote:

Oh, let's nitpick for a while. :wink:

You're quite right, of course.

Heidsieck actually began his Beethoven cycle for Erato in mono in 1957 with the Op. 106, an astounding feat for a 20 year old. He then followed with the Hammerklavier in 1958. He then restarted the cycle in stereo as you said in 1970.

So what I should have said was the first French pianist to record a complete STEREO cycle.

Senior moment #1023 & 1/2! :roll:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:01 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:17 pm
premont wrote:

That's my problem too. I have at least 50 Kempff CDs, including many box sets, so I'll probably pass on this one.

So, do tell, does that mean that your stereo's reproduction improved each time you upgraded your woofer? :wink:

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:15 pm

I have, like many, already have a huge catalogue of Kempff's recordings on major labels, and underground performances and other reissues. 74 listings on major labels, with more than double that number in actual discs. And there's another 63 listings on secondary labels such as Andante, Andromeda, Archipel, Arkadia, BBC Legends, Dante, Hanssler, Koch, Music & Arts, Orfeo and quite few others. This is one of the "big" boxes I won't acquire this time around. For those that love Kempff's music-making and don't already have much of him on disc, this would, no doubt, be a very attractive offering.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 am

I suspect that the reaction among collectors displayed here may be why this box is now on offer for such a low price. I have quite a few of Kempff's stereo recordings and his mono box of Beethoven Sonatas, so I may be interested in exploring his earlier output.

The thing is, I have a Brahms CD that JohnF recommended that I strongly disagree with: it's just lumpy and doesn't flow well at all, and his late Schubert Impromptus are so exploratory that I can't listen to them. His stereo Beethoven Sonatas are OK mostly, but he just gives up in some of the more difficult passages: again, not listenable. The mono set is quite good from the early 1950's, though, and his stereo Schubert Sonatas are radiantly sublime: my personal best among 5-6 sets, including Richter. His set of Schumann's more well-known works is exemplary. By contrast though, Kempf's stereo Brahms I is quite logey on CD (Bohn conducting), so I avoid that one at all costs as well.

That he was a great artist I have no doubt, but I've been discouraged by most of my experiences with him so far.

My budget won't allow it this month: perhaps in August?

That said, I was hesitant about the Barbirolli & Previn boxes, and now find that they both contain many treasures.
Last edited by maestrob on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 am

That he was a great artist I have no doubt, but I've been discouraged by most of my experiences with him so far.

I have had similar experiences. The earlier the better. However, his BBC Legends cd of a live 1969 recital at Queen Elisabeth Hall , London was excellent. I was clued in to the cd on a radio program on which Imogen Cooper played and was interviewed. During the interview she said she had attended the 1969 recital with her mentor Alfred Brendel , and that Brendel remarked Kempff's playing that evening was" miraculous."

Well , at least excellent, if perhaps a bit fatigued at times in the "Fantasy."
Unless my ear and audio memory fool me ( quite possible, no fool like an old fool ) I believe these are that 1969 recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTK244TP1Sg (Brahms' 3rd Piano Sonata,Op.5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-J1W6U4_jw (Schumann's "Papillons", Op.2 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUGjN4aaug (Schumann's "Fantasy", Op.17 )

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:36 am

If you mean this one, it must be good because there are a few copies on Amazon now selling for around $65. Not worth it to me...

There's another one, also from 1969, that lists the Brahms III:

I'll definitely explore these quite soon.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:33 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:36 am
If you mean this one, it must be good because there are a few copies on Amazon now selling for around $65. Not worth it to me...
I have not heard the first one with the Bach,Beethoven,Schubert. My cd, and probably the YT, are the second with the Brahms,et.al.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:06 pm

OK, I'll try your links first, of course, but I found this BBC Box on Amazon while I was looking around. The CDs aren't available, but you can stream all of it, and there's a Kempff recital there that's quite wonderful in good stereo sound that I can recommend. Some excellent Brahms, unlike the DGG CD I bought on JohnF's recommendation.

Still not sure if I'll get the box next month, but this recital makes me more tempted.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I have to ask this: what is in the Wilhelm Kempff DGG Edition that has not previously been reissued on CD? Near as I know, I have nearly everything he recorded that I am aware of now on CD.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Above is the cover of a marvelous SWR 1962 recital by Kempff from Germany that can be streamed for free on Amazon if you're a Prime member.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:37 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 pm
I have to ask this: what is in the Wilhelm Kempff DGG Edition that has not previously been reissued on CD? Near as I know, I have nearly everything he recorded that I am aware of now on CD.
Lance, I managed a quick look at the Kempff box last night, and, while the booklet makes no mention of them, the blurb at the bottom says that there are 6 CDs that are being issued for the first time on the DGG label. Upon further checking, that includes the Beethoven Concertos that were recorded starting in 1925 (No. 1) and other items for Polydor dated 1920? (just like that with a question mark!) that were previously issued and restored by Ward Marston on the recent 2 CD Appian set APR 6019, which I have already. Couldn't locate the other 4 items, though. Don't know if it's worth it for you to get this just for those few items. The Appian restorations are, of course, superb.

I'm extremely happy that, while the 80 CD Kempff Box was stored in my Cart, they temporarily dropped the price one morning to $146 with FREE SHIPPING, so I grabbed it for about $1.75 per disc. Since all I have is a few scattered DGG singles and his Beethoven mono sonatas, the stereo Schumann & Schubert boxes, I'm delighted to have this without taking up too much shelf space!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Thank you for checking into this, Brian. I have the preponderance of his DGG, London, Koch, SWR, Appian material. So for me, it would not prove to be a good investment to get the big set. There is also that Decca Eloquence CD [480 1288] that has the transcriptions from 1954/55 Decca British recordings did not make the big box set from what I understand. So, I'm very happy with Kempff as it exists in my collection. Thank you, again.
maestrob wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:37 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 pm
Lance, I managed a quick look at the Kempff box last night, and, while the booklet makes no mention of them, the blurb at the bottom says that there are 6 CDs that are being issued for the first time on the DGG label. Upon further checking, that includes the Beethoven Concertos that were recorded starting in 1925 (No. 1) and other items for Polydor dated 1920? (just like that with a question mark!) that were previously issued and restored by Ward Marston on the recent 2 CD Appian set APR 6019, which I have already. Couldn't locate the other 4 items, though. Don't know if it's worth it for you to get this just for those few items. The Appian restorations are, of course, superb.

I'm extremely happy that, while the 80 CD Kempff Box was stored in my Cart, they temporarily dropped the price one morning to $146 with FREE SHIPPING, so I grabbed it for about $1.75 per disc. Since all I have is a few scattered DGG singles and his Beethoven mono sonatas, the stereo Schumann & Schubert boxes, I'm delighted to have this without taking up too much shelf space!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm

I'm with Lance, I fear. I won't be getting this. And 1920 Beethoven would have to be accoustic, would it not? I don't mind poorer quality sound to some extent, but my ears tire very quickly when it's pre-microphones. They tire before they have adapted to pluck out the music behind the sound, as it were.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:50 am

barney wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm
I'm with Lance, I fear. I won't be getting this. And 1920 Beethoven would have to be accoustic, would it not? I don't mind poorer quality sound to some extent, but my ears tire very quickly when it's pre-microphones. They tire before they have adapted to pluck out the music behind the sound, as it were.
Actually, I was quite pleased with the pre-electric restorations, Barney, and they are very few titles at any rate. Obert-Thorn is truly a miracle worker. 98% of what's in the box is electrically recorded, and even the 1930's & 1940's Polydors are quite often from German magnetic tapes, which they were using for about 12-15 years before we got our hands on the technology. At any rate, the bulk of the set is post WWII, and by then recording quality was really quite good.

One famous pianist once remarked that "At his best, Kempff really can be better than any of us!" I plan to put that comment to the test as I unveil the 80 CDs contained herein. This is a good deal for me, as I stated above, there just isn't much of his output in my library, except for those that have been heavily promoted. The thing is, I still must begin working through the beautifully done Grumiaux box, plus the vastness of Ormandy's 120CD mono output.

I imagine that I'll be spending the rest of my life happily absorbing the output of these and other great artists not mentioned here whose mega-boxes await me here.

In perusing the Uchida/Schubert collection, I've found that my tastes have indeed relaxed a bit and become more accepting with less strict parameters than in my days as a performer, so, while I can now enjoy much of what is contained in the first three discs, there are still some selections that feel slow and disengaged (Sonata XVI, the first movement). Uchida seems to forget that these were composed by a young, energetic man with a zest for life, and that Schubert's music should sparkle and bounce a bit while never being too ponderous, and never dull. I haven't yet heard even 1/2 of her collection, so I won't form any conclusions here yet, though.

More later! :wink:

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:51 pm

I probably have 40-50 CDs of the Kempff set already. I don't listen to what I have enough, alas - a lament nearly all of us on CMG can make some time or other.
Glad to hear of your re-evaluation of Uchida. It will hardly be a surprise if you find the interpretations a little variable. It would be the same for Kempff.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 pm

barney wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:51 pm
I probably have 40-50 CDs of the Kempff set already. I don't listen to what I have enough, alas - a lament nearly all of us on CMG can make some time or other.
Glad to hear of your re-evaluation of Uchida. It will hardly be a surprise if you find the interpretations a little variable. It would be the same for Kempff.
We're now more than a month since anyone has posted in this thread, and I'm sad to say that my original opinion of Mitsuko Uchida's Schubert remains consistent with my observations above, while my admiration for Wilhelm Kempff has only increased. While Kempff is quite erratic in the Impromptus, he is consistently excellent in all of the Sonatas without exception. Realizing that Schubert was quite young when he composed these works (He died at age 31.), Kempff is neither too profound nor overly intrusive into the music, and prefers a warm, woody and natural sound with his chosen instrument. His tempi are always just right: neither too slow, nor excessively virtuosic. One of my acid tests in this repertoire is the second movement of the late D960, which is marked "Andante sostenuto." Kempff remembers that it is indeed "Andante," and moves things along, while Uchida (like Richter and Zimmermann) insists on slowing things down too much while injecting too much seriousness and profound depth into the music that, IMHO, is decidedly NOT what Schubert intended. Uchida's German dances are also too fast and brittle in her set, and the Impromptus, perhaps because of the sound of her piano, strike me as hard and cold, even though her tempi are much better than Kempff's. There are additional moments of tempo being too slow with Uchida (The first movement of #15 comes to mind), while Kempff hits the nail on its head consistently.

In short, my opinion is that Kempff, by the mid-1960's, had reached a sensitive and well-balanced relationship with Schubert's Sonatas, while Uchida simply tried too hard in her interpretations for Philips. I just don't care for the sound of her instrument, basically. It's just too hard and cold, even when her tempi are mostly within reason.

All of the above is my very personal reaction after more than a month of diligent listening to both great artists, of course.

Thanks for reading.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 am

Thanks Brian. It is interesting how our views can change. I never particularly admired Arrau's Schubert; it always sounded to me as though he thought he was playing Beethoven. too majestic. But a couple of weeks ago I listened to Arrau playing all the Schubert impromptus, and was delighted. Kempff is probably my go-to pianist for the Schubert sonatas, as he is for you.