The 10 most popular American movies

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

The 10 most popular American movies

Post by John F » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm

According to the box office as adjusted for inflation.

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Estimated admissions: 109 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $982 million

Since 1937, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” has garnered around $184.9 million at the domestic box office. The film was the first full-length animated feature from Disney. The film has been rereleased at least three times and made more money from those rereleases than it did from its initial 1937 release. Comscore determined that since its debut, around 109 million tickets have been sold. At today’s average ticket price, the film would have made nearly $1 billion in the U.S.

9. The Exorcist (1973)

Estimated admissions: 116.5 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.04 billion

One of only six horror films to be nominated for the Academy Award for best picture, “The Exorcist” has hauled in more than $232.9 million since its 1973 debut. The film made the bulk of its money during its initial release. It was brought back to theaters in 2000 and 2010 with extended scenes. Adjusted for today’s ticket prices, “The Exorcist,” which sold an estimated 116.5 million tickets, would have made around $1.04 billion.

8. Doctor Zhivago (1965)

Estimated admissions: 124.6 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.12 billion

Released only in 1965, “Doctor Zhivago” earned $112.1 million during its run in theaters and won five Academy Awards. It’s estimated that around 124.6 million tickets were sold for the film. Adjusted for today’s ticket prices, that would be around $1.12 billion at the box office.

7. Jaws (1975)

Estimated admissions: 128 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.15 billion

Steven Spielberg’s “Jaws” was released in theaters in 1975 and earned $260 million. Like “The Exorcist” it is one of six horror movies to be nominated for best picture. It did not win the award, however. Comscore estimates that around 128 million tickets were sold during the film’s run. Adjusted for today’s ticket prices, the film would have earned around $1.15 billion at the box office.

6. The Ten Commandments (1956)

Estimated admissions: 131 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.18 billion

The 3-hour-and-40-minute feature debuted in 1956 and earned $65.5 million. The iconic film, which featured famed actors Charlton Heston as Moses and Yul Brynner as Rameses II, sold an estimated 131 million tickets during its run. Adjusted for today’s ticket prices, the film would have earned around $1.18 billion at the U.S. box office.

5. Titanic (1997)

Estimated admissions: 143.5 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.29 billion

“Titanic” is regarded as one of the best films in industry history and is also one of the highest-grossing. Without adjusting for inflation, James Cameron’s masterpiece is the sixth highest-grossing film in the U.S. and the third-highest grossing film globally. The film has been rereleased twice in addition to its initial run, once in 3D and once to celebrate its 20th anniversary. During those runs, the film earned $658.6 million domestically. It’s estimated that “Titanic” sold around 143.5 million tickets. Adjusted for today’s ticket prices, the film would have earned around $1.29 billion at the U.S. box office.

4. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Estimated admissions: 147.9 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.33 billion

The four-time Academy Award-winning “E.T.” hauled in $434.9 million since it was first released in 1982. Although it was rereleased twice, once in 1985 and once in 2002, the film made the bulk of its earnings during its debut. “E.T.” sold an estimated 147.9 million tickets, which translated to around $1.33 billion in ticket sales using today’s average ticket price.

3. The Sound of Music (1965)

Estimated admissions: 157.2 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.41 billion

“The Sound of Music” was released twice in theaters. Once was its 1965 debut, where it made the bulk of its $158.8 million haul in the U.S., the other was a 2018 rerelease. Comscore estimated that the film, which won five Academy Awards, sold around 157.2 million tickets. That is around $1.41 billion when adjusted for today’s ticket prices.

2. Star Wars (1977)

Estimated admissions: 178.1 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.6 billion

1977′s blockbuster “Star Wars” has been reissued at least twice since its initial debut and has earned $460.9 million at the U.S. box office. In the last four decades, the film has sold an estimated 178.1 million tickets, which equates to around $1.6 billion at the modern domestic box office.

1. Gone with the Wind (1939)

Estimated admissions: 201 million tickets
Estimated adjusted gross: $1.81 billion

“Gone With the Wind” has been rereleased at least seven times since its initial debut in 1939, Comscore said. During that time, it has grossed around $203 million. However, its popularity has resulted in more than 201 million tickets being sold in the last 80 years. If all of those tickets had been bought today, the film would have grossed around $1.8 billion at the domestic box office.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/22/top-10- ... ation.html
John Francis

Belle

Re: The 10 most popular American movies

Post by Belle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 am

Doctor Zhivago (1965) and Gone with the Wind (1939) are the only two I'd bother with on this list. And I think the first one was a British-Italian production anyway, wasn't it? The Sound of Music (1965) is just tolerable, though I enjoy looking at the Austrian scenery. (Christopher Plummer referred to it as "The Sound of Mucus"!!!) The scene with Maria and Capt. von Trapp dancing the Ländler was the best in the film - though I think the orchestrations by Irwin Kostal and the cinematography of Ted McCord were both outstanding.

The rest of the list shows me that the folks have diminishing expectations when it comes to entertainment. Sorry, but there it is!!

John F

Re: The 10 most popular movies in America

Post by John F » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 am

OK, change the thread title to "The 10 most popular movies in America." :)

Bergman and Fellini didn't make the list, of course, but "art films" aren't what it's about. Most Americans go to most movies to be entertained (or for the air conditioning :) ), and this is a measure of what they've found entertaining over the years.

Disney's "Snow White" has some memorable tunes: "Heigh-Ho," "Some Day My Prince Will Come," and "Whistle While You Work." At least I remember them a long lifetime after hearing them in the movie and on the radio back in the 1940s. They're by Jack Churchill. Who he? Disney's house composer and director of music from 1930 until his early death in 1942.

The only surprise for me in the list is "Titanic," which I didn't realize had that kind of box office success. I haven't seen it and won't.
John Francis

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 am

I've seen all of them. Sure, they are not "high art." (And Dukas' "Sorcerer's Apprentice" is not on the same intellectual level as Mahler's Ninth Symphony.) But I will contend that films like ET, Titanic, Jaws and The Exorcist are outstanding works of visual storytelling. I would bet that most filmmakers would agree.

Handelian

Post by Handelian » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:54 am

Both Spielberg films here are among his best in their very different ways which is saying something. Can you believe ET lost out to Rocky in the Oscars? Snow White was the first feature length cartoon and holds its charm. A magnificent achievement. Zhivago bored me to tears. Never see what people see in it. Titanic was pretty awful - the ship sank an hour too late. Sound of Music - great family entertainment but lighton historical fact.
Gone with the Wind - great romantic yarn. Deserves classic status.
Star Wars - modern western
10 commandments - makes some departures from Bible tale and is terribly tacky inplaces but DeMille manages to convince far more than later Bible epics like the awful ‘gods and kings’
Exorcist - off limits as I never see horror films on principle - seen enough horror in the world without that.

Not surprised Fellini andBergman didn’t make the list as people go to movies to be entertained. Only movies I have watched by them were decidedly unentertainng.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:32 am

I've enjoyed all of those :)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Handelian wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:54 am
Exorcist - off limits as I never see horror films on principle - seen enough horror in the world without that.
"Us" (Jordan Peele, 2019) is a horror flick that actually has something to say about horror in the world at large and the US in particular.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:36 pm

As I recall, I believe I have seen all these movies at one time or another. Titanic, Gone with the Wind, The Ten Commandments, and Doctor Zhivago were the most impressionable. Anything about Titanic has been especially interesting.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm

I've always regarded Gloria Grahame as oleaginous and seedy; she came across like this in her films too. Grahame was married to the excellent director Nicholas Ray, then she had a controversial affair with his son!!

The actresses I'd have liked to meet were:

ROSALIND RUSSELL - absolutely, every time

Carole Lombard
Eve Arden
Myrna Loy
Barbara Stanwyck
Dorothy McGuire
Ava Gardner
Judy Garland
Carrie Fisher

And my living female heroes:

Jessica Lange