Modern Instrumental Music

SlappyPsycho

Modern Instrumental Music

Post by SlappyPsycho » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 am

Hi, I’ve listened to most of the classical (By classical I mean all unstrumental before 1960) music and I've really enjoyed much of it (Rachmaninoff, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Brahms [although I could have more of him] etc...) but lately I've become really interested in Modern Instrumental Music, mostly from movie's. There is truly some beautiful music from our time, (Hans Zimmer I think is a fine example), but I am curious if there is something I am missing. In fact I KNOW I am missing some. The problem is that they are unpopular and often not acknowledged, so I need your help!

I would like you to write out some modern instrumental music that is beautiful, epic, or relaxing. I have some Hans Zimmer, I have everything by Ludovico Einaudi, Rob Dougan. I have also fell in love with Mansell's Lux Aeterna (check it out).

Thanks

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Re: Modern Instrumental Music

Post by karlhenning » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 am

Hi, Slappy.
SlappyPsycho wrote:Hi, I’ve listened to most of the classical (By classical I mean all unstrumental before 1960) music and I've really enjoyed much of it (Rachmaninoff, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Brahms [although I could have more of him] etc...) but lately I've become really interested in Modern Instrumental Music, mostly from movie's. There is truly some beautiful music from our time, (Hans Zimmer I think is a fine example), but I am curious if there is something I am missing. In fact I KNOW I am missing some. The problem is that they are unpopular and often not acknowledged, so I need your help!

I would like you to write out some modern instrumental music that is beautiful, epic, or relaxing. I have some Hans Zimmer, I have everything by Ludovico Einaudi, Rob Dougan. I have also fell in love with Mansell's Lux Aeterna (check it out).
Is the Lux Aeterna an instrumental piece, not a choral setting? Just curious.

Welcome!

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Arnstein

Post by Arnstein » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:30 pm

Bernard Herrmann was a GREAT composer of film music! He composed the well-known Psycho soundtrack and the Taxi Driver soundtrack! Check out his music!

hautbois

Post by hautbois » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm

Check out Hermann's Vertigo for that beautiful Tristan like Love theme which appears everytime Madeleine the main female character appears. Ennio Morricone is another composer not to be missed!!!!!!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Arnstein wrote:Bernard Herrmann was a GREAT composer of film music! He composed the well-known Psycho soundtrack and the Taxi Driver soundtrack! Check out his music!
Amen to that! In fact, hang on a mo' . . . .
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

SlappyPsycho

Post by SlappyPsycho » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Lux Aeterna is the non-vocals version only instruments, only string maybe even.

Thanks alot! Keep them comming!

soylentgreen

Post by soylentgreen » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 pm

You may want to take a gander at Alan Hovanhess. He floats between tonal and atonal at times, but his music is very vivid and, from my point of view, very accessible for a late modern composer.

Also, take a listen, if you can to the soundtrack album from COSMOS(the Sagan series). It has little doses of modern composers(inculding electronic pioneers like Larry Fast). You may spot something appealing.

As far as film composers, check out Elliot Goldenthal. While quiet mainstream, his music can really cross heavily into modern classical areas. ALIEN 3, INTEVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE...even his BATMAN stuff is surprisingly unconventional.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Well, of course, you have to start with Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky. Gershwin's American in Paris, too, and then the music of Miklos Rozsa, a film composer par excellence who was also a fine composer of much purely instrumental music.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

burnitdown

Post by burnitdown » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 am

hautbois wrote:Ennio Morricone is another composer not to be missed!!!!!!
He's quite creative. Not sure I could get into Hans Zimmer -- too many lifts of more qualified artists.